APS Raptor LRSS 7mm Allen Magnum

I can't wait for my Texas trip this year they have a sweet spot setup from long range shooting and hunting on top of a mountain. Plus they don't let many people hunt from that spot as they know how it usually ends with people trying to shoot long range.

I have wanted a 7 mm Allen magnum for a really long time. 3400 FPS with a 195 berger May just push me to getting one. What would you estimate the barrel life at on those rifles?

Ive wanted a 7mm Allen Mag for a long time as well. Kirby makes a hell of a rifle. I love that he is always looking to improve and make things better. Hopefully one day i can place an order.

Kirby how do you like that style Atlas vs the Harris below on the 3 ringed rifle. Looks like it has a much wider footprint and stability. Thanks in advance

its not an atlas. I do not care for atlas bipods. Personally dont feel they are stable enough and cost WAY TO MUCH. Just my opinion and i know that will **** alot of guys off..... Its a heavy F class bipod made by LR Accuracy i believe is the name of the company. I only use it on my Serbu semi auto 50 bmg and for testing rifles that customer ordered with forend rails. Works great but its big and expensive.

much prefer harris bipods but only the models with swivel base, leg notches and pod lock installed. Best i have used even though some feel they are cheap compared to the more modern bipods. They work, they work great, they are rock solid and can support alot of weight and you can buy two of them without taking out a loan.....

I can tell anyone who has thought about one of these I was almost ready to give up on custom rifle so I went turn key on my .375 and it is simply amazing. Bit heavy to pack around but man when it goes off things hit the ground. First shot I ever took was a at a cull ram at 468 dropped it. Second shot was at a pig at 689 same outcome.

the 375AM is a serious hammer!! But, very easy to load for and comfy to shoot.

i will fully admit, there are shops out there that will get you a rifle faster then i will. Have had to deal with some rather severe component(barrel) issues the past few years that i will not get into here but it severely set back shipping times. I have been busting my rear for two years trying to get caught back up and STARTING to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

what i can guarantee if you order a rifle from me is it will be me and only me building and testing your rifle from start to finish. It will be me and only me communicating with you. At times i admit i have dropped the ball with communication but do my best. I also guarantee that your rifle will be built as if i were building a rifle that will be put in MY safe and kept and used for a lifetime. And i guarantee that the rifle will do what i say it will do from actual testing. I am brutally honest all the time and do my absolute best to spend customers hard earned money ONLY on things that will get them the best product for their investment. I have designed my rifles and products from alot of field testing and dont just say they are world class, i know they are.

there are alot of great shops out there for sure and i know my rifles will run with any rifle on the planet. I also back my rifles and my customers with my full support.

most of all, i am just another normal guy that loves to shoot and hunt and love firearms. Also understand money is hard to come by these days so i make for **** sure that when a rifle ships to a customer, its the best possible product i can make them. I am truly humbled and honored every time someone hires me to build them a rifle. That has not changed in 18 years And i thank you all for supporting me and my little shop.

Last edited:
I have wanted a 7 mm Allen magnum for a really long time. 3400 FPS with a 195 berger May just push me to getting one. What would you estimate the barrel life at on those rifles?

use the rifle as recommended and do not over heat it and you will see 1000 rounds. Does not sound like much compared To todays WONDER creedmore rifles, but these ain't creedmores......😉

the 375AM is a serious hammer!! But, very easy to load for and comfy to shoot.

i will fully admit, there are shops out there that will get you a rifle faster then i will. Have had to deal with some rather severe component(barrel) issues the past few years that i will not get into here but it severely set back shipping times. I have been busting my rear for two years trying to get caught back up and STARTING to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

what i can guarantee if you order a rifle from me is it will be me and only me building and testing your rifle from start to finish. It will be me and only me communicating with you. At times i admit i have dropped the ball with communication but do my best. I also guarantee that your rifle will be built as if i were building a rifle that will be put in MY safe and kept and used for a lifetime. And i guarantee that the rifle will do what i say it will do from actual testing. I am brutally honest all the time and do my absolute best to spend customers hard earned money ONLY on things that will get them the best product for their investment. I have designed my rifles and products from alot of field testing and dont just say they are world class, i know they are.

there are alot of great shops out there for sure and i know my rifles will run with any rifle on the planet. I also back my rifles and my customers with my full support.

most of all, i am just another normal guy that loves to shoot and hunt and love firearms. Also understand money is hard to come by these days so i make for **** sure that when a rifle ships to a customer, its the best possible product i can make them. I am truly humbled and honored every time someone hires me to build them a rifle. That has not changed in 18 years And i thank you all for supporting me and my little shop.

I can vouch for everything he said here. To your credit when I ordered my .375 you told me exactly how long the wait would be and I was perfectly fine with that. It's easy to get into a rush but it ended up working out great for me as I was able to change a few things along the way as I learned and as new products came out like the atacr 7-35.
Plus I like the fact that you do stand behind your stuff. Not sure how I would feel if my new .375 didn't shoot after a few hundred rounds. Worth a bit of wait times for the added insurance.

Was able to get out today and test two rifles which are the ultimate in my view for shoulder fired precision and performance. Both are very similar in design, both are my Raptor Long Range Shooting System (LRSS). Both are also single shot and both are chambered in my 7mm Allen Magnum wildcat. This is one of my most popular wildcats for good reason but for those not familiar with it, the 7mm Allen Magnum is a 338 Lapua Mag case, necked down to 7mm, shoulder moved forward and then fire formed to my Improved design providing the ultimate compromise in case capacity and extraction performance with max pressures, even with the cases get a bit long in the tooth.
Being single shot Raptor LRSS, we were not limited by magazine length, which is not overly critical in the 7mm Allen Magnum but using the 195 gr Berger EH seated just to the base of the neck, the OAL of the ammo is 3.910".

View attachment 185056

The main advantage of the single shot Raptor receiver is its Brute strength. Even the Raptor repeater is pretty much the strongest receiver in this size class and has as much shear strength on the bolt lugs as most receivers designed for use with the 408 Cheytac cartridges.

Being a single shot, solid bottom receiver, there is no weak link in this receiver like there is in a repeating receiver with very little steel supporting the bottom lug on a repeating receiver. Its just amazing how strong my Raptor receiver is and taking it to the next level as a single shot is even more rigid.

I took several pictures to show the unique features of the Raptor LRSS rifle. The first pic shows the complete right side of the Raptor LRSS. Standard Stocks are the McMillan A5 with integral adjustable cheek piece. This rifle has the adjustable LOP shim system option. Jewell triggers with bottom safety set at 1 to 1.5 lbs are standard. Metal ADL style trigger guard protects the trigger.

The Raptor Match receiver used on the Raptor LRSS has the small match ejection port for added strength. The bolt is 0.750" diameter and fluted with extra wide, extra deep flutes. The firing pin spring is an extra heavy spring to make sure lock time is as short as possible and to insure the firing pin has maximum energy to efficently ignite any primer consistently.

View attachment 185057

The full length 20 moa steel rail base is mounted with 6, 8-40 mounting bolts and also pinned to the receiver with three heat treated 1/8" pins which locks the rail to the receiver and prevents any rail slippage that WILL happen as a result of the extreme G-forces generated by my Painkiller muzzle brake.

The recoil lug is also double pinned to the receiver. You can also see that the receiver thread Tennion is MUCH longer then conventional receivers. This is so that there is much more thread engagement so that the Raptor receiver can support heavy, long barrels with no issues with barrel ship of receiver flexing. Finally, the longer receiver length allows for a much longer bedding area mating the receiver to the stock, again to support effortlessly any size or length barrel wanted.

Moving ahead of the receiver we see the unique Raptor LRSS custom contour barrel made for me to my specs by Bartlein. These barrels happen to be 8.7 twist 5R barrels. The Special Raptor LRSS contour is 1.350" diameter and as you can see its a very long full diameter shank, then is contoured and tapers down to roughly a 0.850" muzzle diameter at 30" finish length.

View attachment 185058

Now, this contour is not just for looks. I tested many barrel contours when I was designing my Raptor LRSS rifles for barrel stiffness and rigidity and this design offered the most stable design. Most of the stress developed in a barrel when driving very heavy, very long bullets to high velocity is generated in the first several inches of barrel when the bullet is accelerated from 0 to very high velocity in a fast twist barrel. The long, full diameter barrel shank supports this high stress area perfectly.

Once the bullet gets up to speed by the first 6-7" of barrel length, the bullet produces very little torque from this point on so a lighter barrel contour can easily support these lower torque levels. Contouring the barrel down after this point allows total rifle weight to be less and most importantly the center of balance on these rifles is shifted much farther back toward the receiver so they feel ROCK SOLID on a bipod or off the bags. In testing, this barrel design proved just as stiff and rigid as a 1.250" straight cylinder barrel, however it is lighter and also balances MUCH better.

You will notice also the unique dual flute pattern that also sets the Raptor LRSS apart. This is honestly more cosmetic then anything but it does look cool and also helps to shift balance back toward the receiver even more.

At the end of the muzzle you will notice my Standard for the Raptor LRSS Medium 3 Port Painkiller muzzle brake which makes these rifles pretty much recoilless in the 7mm Allen Magnum.

As far as performacne goes, This rifle used RL33 to max out at 3476 fps with the 195 gr Berger EH. As max load I mean that you can get 3-4 firing per case at this level before primer pockets get to loose to use. My recommended loads to customers MUST be able to have 8-10 firings per case. At this level, this rifle averaged 3405 fps!!!

Tested the rifles today at 1000 yards and they EASILY met my accuracy standards. In fact, they both shot close to 1/3 moa. I will admit that 12 degrees is a bit cool to test rifles in but they performed extremely well.

These two customers opted for the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x 56mm F1. Very good optics. Mounted in four NF ultralight tactical rings. Two of these rings are set up to control recoil energy, the other two are set up to support the extreme Negative G-forces generated by my Painkiller muzzle brake. This is the only method along with the pinned rail base I have found to keep heavy scopes solidly in place for the life of the rifle.

Will post pics of the second rifle ASAP. Both are beasts and both offer extreme level of performance and have hardly any recoil at all. In fact I was basically free recoiling the rifle and could easily spot impacts.

Just for example of the ballistic performance these rifles produce. With the 195 gr Berger launched at 3405 fps, at my 3400 ft elevation and with a 100 yard zero. Muzzle energy is over 5000 ft/lbs. Not bad for a 7mm....

at 500 yards it only needs 5 moa dial up and is packing 2855 fps and 3530 ft/lbs of energy. 10 mph wind only pushes her off course by 1.25 moa.

at 1000 yards they only need 15 moa of dial up. Only 2.5 moa of drift and still packing 2370 fps and 2433 ft/lbs of energy.

at 2000 yards, 46.5 moa dial up, 5.25 moa for wind, 1560 fps and 1050 ft/lbs.

This combo will maintain supersonic velocity to 3000 yards!! Not bad for a rifle that has a 14 lb bare rifle weight.

And again, with hardly any recoil to mention, far less then a 243 Win in a varmint weight rifle!!!!
Can you lighten them up for weight to pack into the back country? Or would the recoil be hard to manage?

Can you lighten them up for weight to pack into the back country? Or would the recoil be hard to manage?

these are my Raptor LRSS rifles designed for "sit and shoot" type of hunting, not packing around much. i also have a full line of Stalker rifles. Used to be i made all my rifles using only my big Raptor receiver. Several years ago, i put some design specs together and asked Defiance To make me a lighter receiver that i could use to build lighter weight packing rifles.

these are my Stalker models. Much more compact yet still extremely strong in every way. Available in right and left hand just as my Raptor LRSS rifles are. But where as my Raptor receivers are only available standard in magnum and lapua bolt face, the Stalker receivers can be ordered in any bolt face from 223 up to lapua, long and short action.

My Stalker rifle models range from my Stalker UL which can be as light as 6 lbs and commonly chambered in standard 308 and '06 sized cases but also in the short magnums like this one below which is a 6 lb 7mm WSM.
99A7FC8F-8327-4077-A815-3857DA314968.jpeg

from there the Stalker UL Mag is available and it is chambered in magnum chamberings up to and including all of my norma mag and lapua based wildcats. (25 Stalker, 26 Stalker, 27 Stalker, 7mm AM, 300 AX, 338 AX and 375 AX)

these rifles will weigh in between 6.75 and 7.25 lbs. the one below is in my 7mm Allen Magnum, 180 gr. Berger loaded to 3400 fps plus with 27" barrel, small PK brake, detachable magazine and bare rifle weight of just shy 7.25 lbs. and as hard as it is to believe, ZERO felt recoil. Lighter the rifle, better my PKs work.
417CD6FA-5FDE-4305-AF39-9FE089D26622.jpeg

the next step up is my Stalker Hunter rifles. These are available in all long and short action chambering options i offer which is most of them. Slightly heavier barrel contours and slightly heavier stocks. Weights will be in the 7.5 to 8.5 lb range. These rifles are designed for someone that wants legit 1k reach with a big game rifle but still have a rifle that is portable and usable for quick off hand shots if needed.

two below are examples, one with fixed Cheep Piece and other with adjustable CP option.
54E4361B-0104-491B-8B27-F250B6BD0E66.jpeg

8ACC89F8-5DA8-4740-BBB0-13CCFF0BC22A.jpeg

i also offer a Carbon Stalker Hunter for those that want something a bit more exotic. These are similar weight to the Standard Hunters in weight but use larger contour barrels, a bit lighter.
A064C6AE-EB13-4276-8D04-C28862B8BF25.jpeg

88A273D4-4B10-43BE-9B91-3A7FA9FEFA5F.jpeg

the Carbon Stalkers can only be chambered in standard magnums under 30 cal and in my Stalker wildcats and my 7mm Allen Magnum Because of stock limitations.

now days, my Raptor receiver only is used for my big Raptor LRSS rifles and sold as loose receivers for customers to build on. But with my Stalker line, i offer a very complete line of rifles from UL to 3000 yard plus rifles.

Boy I really want a stalker in .25 cal.
Someday

the 25 Stalker is a beast for sure for a 1/4 bore, about the tops out there in performance. And with the right bullet selection its extremely effective on game up to 400 lbs easily.
80B52158-FED3-4C17-8042-5D34A154CC43.jpeg

First field test was this past fall in northen Sask, canada and it performed perfectly well. Not a hard shot, only 150 yards but it was a quick snap shot opportunity. The 100 gr barnes ttsx broke the onside shoulder and fully exited even with a muzzle velocity in the 4100 fps level. Buck traveled about 6 feet, or one jump and piled up.

then was able to take my highest scoring (173 4/8" gross) Montana buck to date this past November on our own property with the same rifle, same load.
CC3BFD18-8126-4FC3-A1CE-0006733720A2.jpeg

F3FB3578-27DC-4E9E-93F4-43CA7A45995B.jpeg

200 yards and bang flop through both shoulders and full exit again.

all that said, the 26 Stalker is far and away a more flexible choice. If you like the lazer flat trajectory out to 500 yards, you can drop down to a hard 100 gr bullet like the barnes or Hammer bullets and match the extreme velocity of the 25 Stalker, but you can also use up to the big 156 gr. Berger and have a legit 1000 yard rifle all in one.

So why design a 25 Stalker....? Been asked that alot, simply put, then 25 cal is an all American caliber. My career started with my old 257 Allen Mag so if i was going to discontinue it, i had to keep a 1/4 bore in the family.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.