APS 6-284 Review

Alucard

Hey Everyone,

Well, I am finally getting around to posting some results with my new Allen Precision Shooting Heavy Xtreme 6-284. I picked this rifle up from the US border on Jan 16, 2008. It has been terrible weather the last little while, so I have JUST gotten around to breaking in the barrel. This is my very first custom rifle ever! Also, this is my very frist experience with a 6-284.

Here are the specs for the rifle:

Action: Lawton M7500 Single Shot
Barrel: Lilja 1.25" straight cylinder 30" 1-9 6 grove twist with a Custom APS muzzle brake
Caliber: 6-284 Win
Stock: McMillan Tooley MBR 80% black, 20% red
Trigger: Jewel BR set to about 1 lbs
Base: Lawton 1 peice 20 MOA rail
Rings: 30mm TPS
Scope: Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with the NP-1R reticule
Weight: With the scope I would say about 27 lbs give or take
Case: Guard Force Silver Aluminum Large rifle - I think it is about 60" long. Somewhere in there anyway

The rifle is something to see for sure! Turned out much better then I expected. I have been slowly breaking the barrel in over the last few months - shooting as weather allowed. It has been VERY windy and raining just about every day I have off, so slow going. But I finally got the barrel done.

I decided to load up some ammo last night in plans to head to the range today to continue fire-forming brass. I am using Lapua 6.5-284 Norma necked down to 6mm. But, it was 60+ kph winds today, so I did not have a chance to go this afternoon. Just after supper the wind died down so I figured, what the hell. Might as well. I am just fire-forming brass at this point so I am not concerned with tight groups yet.

So, I loaded up this new beast and crammed it into my poor little Neon car. With the case the total package weighs in excess of 60 lbs! I loaded up some ear muffs, targets, ammo, my Caldwell Rock BR front rest and a rear shooting bag and headed on out. By the time I arrived at the range the winds died to just a slight breeze. Perfect for shooting.

I stapled up some targets at 200 yards - that is as far as my local range can go. Got the rifle set up and started making some noise. I was shooing 3 shot groups and letting the rifle cool for 20 mins after each grouping - the 6-284 is a hotrod after all. I was trying to hold tight groups even though it was just a brass fire-forming session.

I was shooting some 80 grn Nosler BT and some 105 grn Hornady A-Max bullets fueled by Reloader 22. I was getting OK groups with the 80 grn BTs - about 1" at 200 yards, but I figure with some tinkering I can get them shooting better.

The last 2 groups of the day were 105 grn A-Max bullets. I had one good group - about 3/4" at 200 yards. I thought "Well, this is pretty good. Not sure if I can do better then that!" After all 3/4" at 200 yards is just shy of 1/2 MOA. So, after the barrel cooled I settled in for the last group of the day since light was fast disappearing. Same load but seated 0.020" jamed into the lands. Well, this was the result:

2640670087_b19dc994d1.jpg

That is a 5/16" CTC group at 200 yards!! And I thought that 3/4" at 200 was good! I was able to cut group in half but seating the bullets 0.020" into the lands! In the life of the barrel these were shot numbers 38, 39, and 40. These were also done with UN-FIRED non fireformed brass. The load I was using is as follows:

Brass: Lapua 6.5-284 necked to 6mm
Primer: Fed 210 Match
Powder: 53.0 grns Reloader 22
Bullet: 105 grn Hornady A-Max
Cart overall: 3.035" base to tip or 2.510" to the OGive

So, needless to say I am VERY impressed with Kirbys work! If anyone was ever in doubt of which smith to go with, you can't go wrong with Kirby. I am having fantastic results so far. I am extremely happy with how this rifle turned out. I will post some pics one of these days. I store the rifle at a different location from where I live, so only group pictures tonight.

Oddly enough I found the 105 grn A-Max bullets to expand better then the 80 grn Nosler BT. A bird landed on the 100 yard board and a "stray" bullet just happend to hit it center mass with a 80 grn Bullet. There was some carnage - feathers and decapitation. Most of the body was ripped up but still in tact. After letting the barrel cool, another unfortunate bird landed on the 100 yard target to have a rest. This time a stray 105 grn A-Max found its way into the center of that unfortunate bird. Well, lets just say a 30 foot circle was formed with little squiggily bits of that bird!! THE only solid peices I found were: ONE wing, the tail, and its head. The rest was turned into little bits! I am a .220 Swift shooter and I have to admit that the 6-284 is WAY more destructive! I am in shock at how much damage the 6-284 can produce!

But, that is my first impressions with a APS rifle and a 6-284. Once I head out to longer ranges I will let you know how it performs.

Looks good but you forgot a major important step here !!

PICS OF THE GUN !!!!

Realy though , thats a good group for a fresh barrel and the slight horizontal stringing their would probably tighten up a bit in no wind , nobody can complain about groups like that .
What are you using a gun that heavy for ? varmints , paper?

With a little tweaking of loads that thing might be a shooter yet.:rolleyes::):rolleyes:

You're right about Kirby's work. It's first class all the way.

The description sounds like a great bunch of components. Now I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.;)

Ok, I was able to get some shots of the rifle itself today. So, here they are:

A side view of the rifle:
2644660886_2b7594d02b.jpg

A close up of the action:
2644661070_a9d33e76b1.jpg

A top down view of the rifle
2643833791_61fe1d07b3.jpg

A close up of the scope mounting system I am using
2644661446_9676a8ed05.jpg

A side view of the rifle plus the case
2643834111_c40ec51101.jpg

The reason I wanted this rifle so large and heavy was for long varmint shots and good paper groups. In the end I do not plan on walking with this rifle, so big and heavy is OK with me.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I have all of the metal teflon coated flat black and I have the huge 50 BMG style 3/8" flutes in the barrel. The bolt body is also spiral fluted.

If anyone wants some specific shots of the rifle, let me know and I will see what I can do. I can get some Ultra High Res photos if you like - my fiance is quite the photographer.

Looks like your "mini" Black Sunshine is starting to behave for you. Keep us posted as to your longer range shooting.

By the way, hows the recoil on that big girl???

Recoil? There is supposed to be recoil with this rifle?!? I must be missing something. When you touch a round off, the rifle doesn't even budge! No muzzle rise or drive back at all! Mind you a 25 lbs+ rifle with a muzzle break helps with that. :D

That is one of Kirbys Custom Made muzzle breaks. Sure works and looks great to!

I also shoot a 6x284 although mine is a mini compared to yours. REM 700 Sendero Hart 26" 10 twist Jewell trigger. I get 1/4 MOA at 100 yds. Question can a guy with a 257 Weatherby in a custom rifle beat us in performance?

No, but a guy with a slower 6BR could out shoot both of them, at 1000 yards, accuracy wise. Speed doesn't equal out to accuracy. The 6x284 is an awesome cartridge, however, it will not out shoot a 6BR or 6X47 Lapua.

i also shoot the 6X284. i have been well pleased with mine as well. i shoot the 107 grain smk @ 3250 fps . had some buddies over this weekend and we managed to do a little shooting. they were impressed as hell with the fact that they could hit a gallon milk jug @ 800 yds...now they all want one!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts