APS 338 ultra maxx

pitbull320

need help choosing a scope for my new 338 ultra maxx kirby will have it done soon and I can't make my mind up I'm thinking night force or vortex I like both just need a little help choosing.

Although there are others that will work just as well, I have the NF 5.5-22 and wouldn't hesitate to order another one when needed. This scope with the NP-R1 reticle and zero stop and you're good to go. :)

IMHO, you can never go wrong with a NF 5.5-22x50 or 56 w/ZS and NPR1 or R2.

I'm somewhat familiar with the different cartridges Kirby offers but I have never heard of a Ultr Maxx. What's a 338 ultr maxx????

IMHO, you can never go wrong with a NF 5.5-22x50 or 56 w/ZS and NPR1 or R2.

I'm somewhat familiar with the different cartridges Kirby offers but I have never heard of a Ultr Maxx. What's a 338 ultr maxx????

I was wondering about that too. Unless Kirby added a new line, I am only familiar with the .338 AM and .338 AX.

The best that I can come up with without hearing it from the horses mouth is it's a VERY improved 338 off a RUM case that will get you FPS close to a 338AX. Kinda like a 338 Edge on steroids and probably one of if not the fastest 338 you can get using a standard magnum bolt face. Never heard of it before but it sounds pretty cool.

to be honest I don't know all the specs on it but it is based off the 375 rum case all I know is that it is very similar to his 338 ax

YOu know my opinion, NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm with NP-R1 or the Vortex Razor. hard to choose between the two. If you are going to dial up, take your pick, hold over shooting the FFP on the Razor is a huge advantage for all light condition shooting.

The 338 Ultra Maxx was an idea I came up with with the help of a customer of mine that had already purchased one of my 270 AM rifles. He wanted to neck it up to 338 caliber, so we did it.

Since I already had my 338 AM and 338 AX we just named it the Ultra Maxx. Its not really a 338 Edge improved as the shoulder location is relocated farther forward then the Edge would be giving it a larger case capacity then a standard improved Edge. Not much more but its measureably more.

The sharper shoulder angle just helps control that relatively soft RUM brass a bit better.

The shoulder location is the reason for recommending the use of 375 RUM brass. Its simple to run it through a 338 Ultra Maxx FL die and set the shoulder where you need it for fireforming.

With the 338 Edge, you can fireform them in the Ultra Maxx but you get alot of case stretching, OR you have to neck it up to 35 cal and then back down to 338 which is just an added step. As long as we have 375 RUM brass around, its just much easier to work with.

The 338 Ultra Maxx will get you 50 fps on average more then the standard Edge will get you with same bullet, barrel length and throat design. Is that worth if for fireforming brass, thats for the individual to decide.

I do offer dies in the 338 Ultra Maxx but do not offer formed brass.

Sorry for the high jack Pitbull!!!

Back to scope discussion.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.