Anyone Use A Dillon Reloader?

Ron J

A friend of mine had the entire Dillon getup......after the third pull he was getting a fresh round every pull. 500 rounds of .44mag in an hour.

**** expensive though..... would you spend the money for X650 shown here

It looks like I'll be in the $4200.00 range, but that's with all the extras.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/#/customize-reloader.html

I'm going to be getting quite a bit of inheritance in March.... So after paying off the house I was thinking about the 650.

A bit much? I wonder how many .338 I could pump out in an hour.

So whatya think.... am I getting my monies worth, or would it be better to weigh each grain of powder and do the single stage thing. With the powder alarm on the dillon, would you trust it.... it's a lot of money to spend on just hand guns if the charges are not repeating exactly the same.

I sound pretty wishie/washie don't I ? I guess that's why I joined this board.... A lot of good information.

Thank You for any help....
Ron

I bought one of the 550's back in the late 70's when they first came out. Cost was around $200.00. Still have it, and find it perfect for straight walled pistol type cases. I found it more difficult reloading bottleneck rifle cases with the case lube required, and most of my rifles use stick type powder that I would rather weigh each charge (.270, 30/06, and .340 Wby).
I did load some .223 on it using 748 powder, but I processed all of the cases first, then just loaded them on the Dillon with the sizing die removed.

Customer service is the best anywhere with their anything goes policy. They will replace anything for free, no matter what happened to it. You call them, tell them what you broke and they get it to you in two days, no charge.
I never stepped up to the higher models, because I no longer shoot competition, and don't need the amount of ammo I needed "back then". I can still load a box of pistol ammo in about 5 minutes even if I take my time.
You won't regret buying a Dillon because you never regret buying the best.

Not sure how you came up with $4,200, but a few comments.

Myself and 2 buddies wen in and bought a 650 with case feeder, Dillon dies, shell plates for case feeder, die heads, spare parts kit, case powder sensor, conversion kits for .45ACP & .40SW, & a few other miscellaneous items and our cost was about $325 each. That also included freight, and we got it from Powder Valley which saved us freight costs because they gave us a 5% discount and it was dropped ship to my office. We typically load 600 to 800 .45 ACP an hour and usually load several times a month. Also I'd look real hard at the Lee Factory Crimp die as your final die if you'll be shooting the same handgun round in various handgun makes and models. It sure has erased the headaches. So far we have about 50,000 rounds that have been run through the press.

Now maybe those costs would be upped big time if you do the .338, but I am thinking not quite that much. I am also unsure as to if the 650 will load .338 Lapua although I do see the .338 Win Mag and Ultra Mag, but I have no experience with that beast. I would make a phone call to their technical pre sales support and see what they say, then call the guys at Powder Valley and ask them. My 2cents for what it's worth.

I own a Dillon 650. It is an excellent press. However, it is a specialized tool that only gets used for high volume reloading. I do all of my load development and precision-oriented loading using a single stage press, while hand weighing each powder charge.

My advice: Don't get seduced by the idea that you need a progressive press. Buy a good single stage or turret press. You will use it far more than you will any progressive press if you are doing precision shooting.

+1 benchracer. I have a rl 550b and while it is nice for its intended use it mostly just sits there and looks good and does nothing while I am using the good old single stage:/

I used to own 2 Dillon 650's both with all the options. I sold them off as I don't shoot the volume I used too when I was doing 3 gun stuff. They are very nice and work well. A good friend of mine tried loading his 7mm for the heck of it and found that the round is too long for the press to work properly. As was mentioned, single stage or turret is the way to go. :)

I have a Dillon 550 that is presently laying under my work bench. I do not need volume now for 45 ACP or 40 S&W like I once did. They take a special hollow belling die because the powder flows down the center of it. It is reliable to put about 10 gr. of fine pistol powder into case. I would not trust 60 or 70 gr. of stick powder to flow freely down that small hole, You cannot view the case to check powder easy either. If you are wanting volume for large rifles. Cheaper, Safer and more reliable would be get 2 loading presses, One large, of RCBS Rock Chucker class press for sizing cases, Another press with better feel and accuracy for seating bullets set up on the bench too. With a shell holder for each. A good priming set up, A good powder measure and accurate scales. This would allow you to load a lot of accurate, safe rifle shells. Since a person has to lay there face in 6 inches of a shell in the chamber of a rifle to me, SAFETY is first, ACCURACY second, and VOLUME third. It is your decision Good Luck.

I have two Dillions for pistol loading. I'm lazy so I bought one for small primers and one for large. LOL. But, I have used these since the very early 80s or late 70s and still love them! I agree with Benchracer, I really doubt you'll need a progressive for 338s. The single stage works plenty fast for accurate loading. I ain't sure, but if the dies will fit both loaders, and IF you aren't happy with the single stage, should be easy to sell/trade that loader for the progressive. Really, those Dillion single stage units are super good and the guys at Dillion are tops in helping you out if you ever have a problem. In all these years, I haven't had a one.

I have a RL550 and can load 338 Lapua on it. The large magnum powder bar does not work well with stick powders. I hand throw all my powders with a Hornady lock load elec scale / dispenser and only use the press for resize and bullet seating. It really shines with pistol calibers, ball powders etc. I do load .223 on it with no problems from start to finish.

If any one would like to sell there Dillon they no longer use send me a pm I would like get another one.

I suppose you're all right about loading for a 338 lapua. I'd want to make them all a precise as possible. I got all excited about the dillon when I was shooting my .44mag.

I have a lee progressive loader and found I couldn't use ball power due to the powder getting stuck under the plate when charging a round. So I end up manually charging all the rounds. Thanks for all the input.

As far as the amount I came up with. Go the the link and click on the xl 650 (I believe that is the beast) you go down the line and click on each item you want to go with it and when you are finished you the the total at the bottom.

I believe I will go with a single stage and charge my own for the 338....... still might get the Dillon for the .44mag, 9mm, and 223. Those are usually within 100yrds (except for the 223... I'd say 300yrds for the two legged hunt) anyway.

A guy wants to get a bit more precise when reaching out there. I'll probably use a single stage for the .30-06 as well.

Well, Thanks for saving me a ton of money.... OK considering the cost of a new single stage, dies, tumbler, crimp/resizer.... brass, bullets, power, and primers. I saved a 1/2 ton of money *grins

Thanks again,

Ron

OK, I went to the RCBS site and did a search for reloading .338 Lapua and found this........

Search Results - RCBS

Where in the heck does one start. I mean what do I need to get started. I know there has to be extras in there that aren't necessary, but again good to have eventually.

It was to my knowledge that (back in the day when I was reloading) RCBS top of the line for precision reloading. Am I wrong?

Sorry to hit you guys up with all these questions. I just start posting when I find questions needed to be answered, instead of waiting to put all the questions in one thread. I'll get better.

Thanks again,

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts