Anyone use a 10 gauge?

Do any of the 10 gauges or really, any shotgun, come with high performance recoil pads like pacmeyer or limbsaver etc? Seems like all the cheaper pumps have horrible excuses for a recoil pad? Why is that?
Profit and competition. Really good pad would add $100 at the retail level. Factory Pad seems fine On the 10 but I've replaced pads on most 12's

Is there anyone out there that still uses a 10 gauge?
Seems like it's been fading away especially since there's so many 3.5" 12 gauges available nowadays.
Not sure but I think Browning is the only company actually producing them and would be interested to see how many they are actually selling yearly.
Is the 10 disappearing just like the good old 16 gauge?
It amazed me 'back when', how the 16 came to the front, quickly rose to stardom, rode the wave then quickly fade away & all but vanish! The 16 is a GREAT gauge & is thankfully making a comeback.
I do remember the 8 gauge but IMO it was never very popular.

I purchased a Browning Gold 10 gauge a couple of years ago just because I was always intrigued by that shotgun. I use it on Canada geese...just last weekend actually. Being a gas-operated semi-automatic, the recoil actually isn't that much greater than a 12 gauge, 3-1/2". I wouldn't say shooting a 10 gauge instantly means more dead geese or ducks; you still need to concentrate on your wingshooting skills. It could be argued that you may have fewer cripples...?

Where I notice a difference is those instances where the geese are out 50-60 yards at the edge or slightly beyond the decoys. The 10 gauge makes those shots much more feasible. They do generally carry a bigger payload and have a shorter shot string.

I really don't notice recoil much when I'm hunting - maybe more noticeable at the range. They are fun to shoot, but I probably can't say they are THAT much more effective than a 12 gauge, 3-1/2". If I did a lot of waterfowl hunting where finances are a more significant concern, I would probably stick to a 12 gauge. Since my waterfowl hunting is a bit limited, shooting the 10 gauge isn't significantly more expensive. I've used Federal Black Cloud BBs and Hevi-Bismuch #1s...they both work!

It amazed me 'back when', how the 16 came to the front, quickly rose to stardom, rode the wave then quickly fade away & all but vanish! The 16 is a GREAT gauge & is thankfully making a comeback.
I do remember the 8 gauge but IMO it was never very popular.
I think most manufacturers made the mistake of using a 12 gauge frame for the 16. I like my old Remington model 58 in 16 but honestly I don't take it out much anymore.

I purchased a Browning Gold 10 gauge a couple of years ago just because I was always intrigued by that shotgun. I use it on Canada geese...just last weekend actually. Being a gas-operated semi-automatic, the recoil actually isn't that much greater than a 12 gauge, 3-1/2". I wouldn't say shooting a 10 gauge instantly means more dead geese or ducks; you still need to concentrate on your wingshooting skills. It could be argued that you may have fewer cripples...?

Where I notice a difference is those instances where the geese are out 50-60 yards at the edge or slightly beyond the decoys. The 10 gauge makes those shots much more feasible. They do generally carry a bigger payload and have a shorter shot string.

I really don't notice recoil much when I'm hunting - maybe more noticeable at the range. They are fun to shoot, but I probably can't say they are THAT much more effective than a 12 gauge, 3-1/2". If I did a lot of waterfowl hunting where finances are a more significant concern, I would probably stick to a 12 gauge. Since my waterfowl hunting is a bit limited, shooting the 10 gauge isn't significantly more expensive. I've used Federal Black Cloud BBs and Hevi-Bismuch #1s...they both work!
The 10 is much more effective with larger or heavier shot. Try 2oz of Spiro tungsten 15gm BB's. Work up a load and pattern them @ 100yds. Eye opening. Drop is about 3ft so aim over. The old BBB hevi metal with tungsten steel mix was good but no longer made. I have found bismuth is not much better than steel and not worth the extra cost. It is priced between steel and tungsten and closer to steel in performance. Play with extended non ported chokes. I MOD is the most open choke I shoot in the 10. I also have LF, F, and XF. I shoot XF with bismuth. Bismuth patterns well, and performs like one size larger steel. I shoot Briley chokes.

I think most manufacturers made the mistake of using a 12 gauge frame for the 16. I like my old Remington model 58 in 16 but honestly I don't take it out much anymore.

My brother has a 16g 58, bought for him when I was still in diapers. I have my dad's 12g 58. Those are (were) great Southern quail guns.

My brother has a 16g 58, bought for him when I was still in diapers. I have my dad's 12g 58. Those are (were) great Southern quail guns.
My model 58 started life as a 28" full choke gun. I loved grouse hunting but hated that long barrel so I cut it off. Pretty open now and works great for close quarters.

I still own and use a 10ga sxs. It was produced by Zabala and has the 32" full full barrels. Its for turkey, barn raiding pigeons, and nighttime coyote hunting. Since Michigan legalized .269 caliber centerfire at night, I havent used it. But hunting in the dark, the wide barrel plane makes aiming fairly easy. I still have a partial box of BB lead shot that does pretty well with coyotes. Its a gun ill never get rid of. I've toyed with having briley install choke tunes so I can run steel shot through it, but just never did it. It would make it more versatile for sure.
I owned an over under with tubes for a while. American Arms branded possibly. Nice enough gun, but the bottom barrel shot 18" low at 40 yards. Wasn't regulated for crap.
There is something to be said for launching 2.25oz of shot per trigger pull.

I shot a 10 double for years at geese...... reloaded with alcan#7 powder.....2 oz. shot......
#4 buckshot was the go to goose load......

Yea Boy! That #4 buck was good to 125 yards on high flyers! Those were the days!

I had two Ithaca 10ga auto's, and a Browing Gold Auto, Predator use for me after that outlawed lead for Geese

I just bought a 10 ga. last year. Got the bug after goose hunting with a friend and he had one. Didn't set well with me that he had one and I didn't so I forund one with the help of one of the great members on here. Bought a Remington SP-10. Kicks light a pack of mules but I love shooting it. I haven't had it out yet other than to pattern turkey and goose loads. Eventually I will get out and have a go with it! We apply every year for Swan tags here in Montana and the ten will definitely see action if I get one of those tags for sure. Shells are available here in Montana as well but they are spendy. The way it kicks limits how much you will shoot it, at least for me. I figure the six boxes of Goose loads and seven boxes of Turkey loads I have will last the rest of my life time and my grandsons as well. :)
Rogers Sporting Goods for 10ga ammo

I have a Remington SP-10, that I love but haven't used in a few years as I no longer hunt waterfowl. It really reaches out and the recoil never bothered me a bit, even when shooting clay birds. I would like to sell it, anybody interested, let me know.