Optics on a shotgun-anyone using them?

I'm using an EOTech 512 Camo on my Remington 11-87 turkey/deer gun, works fine It replaced a Bushnell labeled EOTech that went tits up!
GSP, what type of mount are you using? I was looking at the Picatinny rail at Brownells that mounts to the shotgun using screws that replace the trigger assembly pins.
I have an Eotech 552 on my Patrol Rifle (M4), and I really like it. I was thinking about the Eotech 518A65 for the shotgun since I don't need NV capabilities like I have on the 552.

Last edited:
I had a Vortex Strikefire 2 red dot on a hard kicking 12-guage Winchester 1300 shotgun. I shot it a lot and I never had any problem with the optic. The gun itself was a different matter so I eventually sold it.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering an Eotech 518A65, and ordered a Mesa Tactical mount with side saddle. I will post my results, and how things worked out.

I recently put a leupold Delta Pro on my Benelli M4 and it is a fantastic addition to the Gun. Quick to acquire targets.

Took a shotgun defensive class and was the fastest shooter although it was not a competition and others didnt know their guns very well.

My main use for the gun is coyote's in close or in heavy brush with #4 buckshot, this works real well.

I recently put a leupold Delta Pro on my Benelli M4 and it is a fantastic addition to the Gun. Quick to acquire targets.

Took a shotgun defensive class and was the fastest shooter although it was not a competition and others didnt know their guns very well.

My main use for the gun is coyote's in close or in heavy brush with #4 buckshot, this works real well.

Have you used the Eotech before? If so, I was wondering how you compare it with the single dot on the Leupold.

Do you know which mount you have? What about it didn't you like?

It's the Firefield saddle mount. The mount is a very tight fit and needed to be tapped lightly, several times with a tool to slide over the receiver, aligning it with the pin holes. It comes with two pins which enter on the right and screw into the left's threaded side. No problem, except it may leave slight scratches in the receiver finish. Maybe a light film of oil will prevent that.

With a new Nikon scope atop the Firefield mount on the 870, I fired 40 rounds of the Hornady SSTs, which fly at 1900-2000fp attempting to establish a zero & drops. After the first five or ten, you begin to notice the recoil, fair enough, you'll seldom or never fire that many again at one sitting. But I did notice one very unpleasant change; at discharge, the right rear corner of the mount's edge was biting my hand. I'd sent the scope in for repair, concluding the erectors were problematic, and took the Bushnell TRS-25 off of my Mark IV pistol for deer season. I probably didn't need the red dot, the irons were dead on at 80 yds with std slugs, and I had new fiber optic front and rear sights I'd bought, but I experience irresistible impulses to improve on things. Especially when snow-bound and my Harley is in storage. Idle time is the Devil's workshop. I suppose I should conclude this paragraph with the statement that I find the inexpensive TRS-25 to be a very good substitute for a high end holographic, RMR or scope, on a civilian shotgun. I installed a Vortex Viper on the pistol, in place of the 25 and the Vortex, while tiny, has a bloom in the dot which I cannot get rid of. The 25 doesn't bloom at all. The Vortex is going in for replacement or repair.

I've got the scope back from Nikon, bought the Picatinny rail, the drill bit and tap and intend to put the scope back on the 870 and set up for 200 yd shots with the slug gun, scope and Hornady's SSTs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BR2ZGI6/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Firefield lists this item at $14.97 but indicates it is unavailable. Amazon's selling it for nearly double + shipping & tax.

I'm seguing off the topic of red dots, but I'm stoked about the new Hornady shotgun rounds in concert with the new Nikon P3 scope. Link to scope below, following another users rating of the ammo:

By Patrick Schultz
November 19, 2018
I needed an accurate slug for 100, 150, and even 200 yard shots on Whitetailed deer. I took a couple boxes of 20 gauge sst slugs to our local range and the slugs touched each other on a two shot group at 100 yards. I took aim at the 8"x8" gong and wacked the steel at 200 yards at 5 o,clock POI first shot! Over the last two Sundays Hornady SST slugs have brought down two deer, each one shot, 96 yards and 104 yards. Thanks Hornady!

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en...copes/prostaff-p3-shotgun-3-9x40-bdc-200.html

Thanks George Dean. I saw quite a few mounts for sale, but ended up with the Mesa Tactical. They have a lot of quality accessories for the 870 and other shotguns. I have purchased from them in the past. I'm not sure how the Eotech would work on top of the receiver with the Pic rail drilled and tapped. The Eotech is kinda heavy, and the inertia from firing the slugs might want to rip the optic off at the worst possible time (like when I need it the most). If the Mesa Rail doesn't work, I can always remove it and go back to what I have now, an 870 with rifle sights.

I have a red dot on my 870 with a ported turkey choke. I just mounted a picatinney rail to the vented rib. I've used it a couple years and the mount is rock solid. Red dot have plenty of eye relief. When I used to slug hunt I tried mounting a scope through the pin holes but it wasn't very sturdy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.