Anyone use a 10 gauge?

Back in the 80's I was at a gun show in Fort Worth. Some guy had an Ithaca 10 gauge sitting on the table for sale. Guy told me to make an offer on it cause no one was interested in it. Honestly didn't want it but I made him a low ball offer thinking he would laugh at me. He accepted the offer. Shot allot of ducks with it. Now sits in the back of the safe waiting to go out again.

I have a Remington SP-10, that I love but haven't used in a few years as I no longer hunt waterfowl. It really reaches out and the recoil never bothered me a bit, even when shooting clay birds. I would like to sell it, anybody interested, let me know.
I sent pm over with few questions

Is there anyone out there that still uses a 10 gauge?
Seems like it's been fading away especially since there's so many 3.5" 12 gauges available nowadays.
Not sure but I think Browning is the only company actually producing them and would be interested to see how many they are actually selling yearly.
Is the 10 disappearing just like the good old 16 gauge?
I own a 10ga side by side made by Richland in Spain. 32in barrels both barrels full choke. Obviously made for the goose/turkey hunter. I found it patterned #4 buckshot very well. So I reloaded with a Lee hand loader one shell at a time. Yes shells are expensive, are available on line and are usually available near goose hunting areas. I had it out during our shotgun buck season two years ago and got a buck at around 40 yards, from a tree stand. Need a stout rope to pull it up. Heavy too, maybe 11.5 lbs. It gets several ounces lighter after shooting both barrels. i Loaded the 3.5" shells with Blue Dot and 7 layers of 7 #4 buck pellets. 49 pellets. Nasty load on target. I shot a deer at about 60 yards, remember I patterned this load and it was great out to 60. When I got to the deer, it was no longer a buck, blew the antlers off, broke all 4 legs had 2 pellets through the heart, and the rest scattered throughout the deer

Last edited:
Is there anyone out there that still uses a 10 gauge?
Seems like it's been fading away especially since there's so many 3.5" 12 gauges available nowadays.
Not sure but I think Browning is the only company actually producing them and would be interested to see how many they are actually selling yearly.
Is the 10 disappearing just like the good old 16 gauge?
I have 4 ten gauges, and no they are not going away, of course I reload my own, so that helps a lot.

SP-10 is my turkey and deer gun with a choke swap. I just bought a couple boxes of Apex 7 1/2s to get it ready for upcoming turkey hunts.

Attachments

• 70EF0C8C-763D-4E33-BF2E-A1A2DADEBF46.jpeg
    70EF0C8C-763D-4E33-BF2E-A1A2DADEBF46.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 57
I have used a Browning Invector Auto with a 26 inch barrel equipped with a Pattern Master choke for more than 25 years. We hunt geese mainly along the Missouri River in South Dakota. Most of our hunting is pass shooting geese. I was reloading but for last 10 or years have been using Ferdersl Premium, Black Cloud - BB. This combination of gun, choke and shells is deadly on high flying geese.

I've got 2 single shot stevens in 10 ga , and a semi auto in 10 ga. I've killed several turkeys with the old single shots. And 1 with the automatic . My dad before he passed away loaded me up like 6 boxes of shells for those heavy lead slingers. They eat lots of shot per shell for sure
I had a friend that had the Ithaca 10ga semi auto in the police configuration. fired it a couple of time. Recoil not bad I'd say less than a 12 ga Mag.

I had a friend that had the Ithaca 10ga semi auto in the police configuration. fired it a couple of time. Recoil not bad I'd say less than a 12 ga Mag.
I would rather shoot the SP-10 over my Benelli SBE with 3 1/2". The 10 is a bit heavier but it makes a difference. The 10 has a shorter barrel than my SBE so it handles well; just a tad heavy but fine on run and gun turkey hunts.

Weight was my biggest downfall. At one time I had 4 10's. Two Browning Golds, one BPS and a LaSalla side by side. Those guns took a lot of game, but as shells got harder to find and I learned to call turkeys and ducks better, I switched down to might smaller gauges and a bow for turkey. Just decided no need to hire a sherpa to help me get the gun into the field. I sold my last two 10's about 10 years ago to my taxidermist. Sold him a few cases of steel, turkey and buckshot with the guns. Had some great hunts with them. Shot a banded swan with the sxs and lots of turkeys and waterfowl with the golds.