Anyone shot deer with the 190grn Sub-x at 1050ish fps??

With my limited experience with the 190s I am confident they do expand / do more damage than a 220 ELD-X shot at the same speed. I have only used both on squirrels, but the ELD-X was same size in as out, as one would expect. Shot 5 squirrels yesterday with the 190 SUB-X and exit holes were definitely bigger than entrance. Accuracy is the same for both in my gun at 50yds.

I may use them this year, but still have a bunch of 530grn outlaw bullets for my 458 SOCOM, so that may go with me instead. I just hate the AR platform and would rather use a bolt gun. When it comes to subs the only way to increase energy on target is weight. 530grns is a straight up Thors hammer of lead.
Try shooting them into something you can capture. Then take a look at the actual bullet.

Young fallow (45lb) shot at 30m in her sleep. Bullet went in high on right shoulder came out through opposite side in the guts and stopped into back leg bone. Died on the spot. But I have not always been as lucky with the sub x in the past.
71359219598__F5DAAC2E-D604-4830-8555-FC3C76BE8DB7.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4063.jpeg
    IMG_4063.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4060.jpeg
    IMG_4060.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 53
Young fallow (45lb) shot at 30m in her sleep. Bullet went in high on right shoulder came out through opposite side in the guts and stopped into back leg bone. Died on the spot. But I have not always been as lucky with the sub x in the past.
View attachment 502172
Looks like you got good expansion and penetration on this deer. Do you know the velocity ? What were the "not so lucky" experiences?

All I can offer is my experience with 190's.

My 16" mod 7 shoots the 190 Nosler CC's at 1050 with 9.5 of 4227. Accurate and Unbelievably quiet.

I have killed a truckload of pigs with 190 CC, 220 CC and 240 SMK. I have also lost a fair number or had poor outcomes that lead to some real exciting follow ups.

One thing that suprised me, the sub-x would ricochet like crazy even after a pass through shot on a coyote. I wasn't too suprised they were bad that way shooting paper, but I didn't expect that after shooting through an animal. So be careful, this bullet does some wierd stuff.
I have noticed this with all subs in 300 blk. Could it be that we are just able to hear it better bc it's so quiet?

IMG_6539.jpeg

Here's the rifle I have set up for him to use. Yes I know it's big and heavy but that helps with the recoil a lot. I'll have it set up in a death grip so I'll range the deer and run my ballistic app, dial the scope, and all he has to do is swivel the crosshairs on to the deer and squeeze the trigger. I've never seen him so excited about going hunting. He's 11 btw.

The only whitetail I've shot with the 190 Sub-X dropped on the spot and I had a complete pass thru. What more can you ask for? I completely agree with the comment about bullet placement and using a rangefinder. You HAVE TO know your POI for every shot.

I have never tried the Hornady Sub-X, but I have taken several deer with the 190 grain Makers at 1060 fps. Distances have ranged from 40 yards out to 136. Excellent results and accuracy.

DDNtGtEl.jpg
View attachment 501818
One of the big plus's for the makers is as they slow down, the wider the petals stay and the bigger the cut they make

The only whitetail I've shot with the 190 Sub-X dropped on the spot and I had a complete pass thru. What more can you ask for? I completely agree with the comment about bullet placement and using a rangefinder. You HAVE TO know your POI for every shot.
Yeah I got that part covered. Everything is programmed into my ballistic calculator and all I have to do is range it and roll the app tumbler to the nearest 5 yard mark and then dial what it says to dial for him.
IMG_6540.jpeg

Well I made it home early enough from work today for him to take a couple practice shots. So we made a quick deer like target from Kroger bags. I wanted him to have a deer like target with no vital lines so he had to use anatomy for aim point. His first shot was low and that was all dads fault. I got so caught up in getting it on video that I forgot to dial the scope after ranging it. So then I dialed for the distance and let him shoot again. His second shot is as close to perfect as I can ask for. Happy dad. Now we just have to get a deer in front of him this weekend. Youth season is Saturday and Sunday. Antlerless only.

Oh and he was shooting with the rifle in the death grip tripod and sitting in a chair just like he'll be in the blind.
IMG_6542.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I made it home early enough from work today for him to take a couple practice shots. So we made a quick deer like target from Kroger bags. I wanted him to have a deer like target with no vital lines so he had to use anatomy for aim point. His first shot was low and that was all dads fault. I got so caught up in getting it on video that I forgot to dial the scope after ranging it. So then I dialed for the distance and let him shoot again. His second shot is as close to perfect as I can ask for. Happy dad. Now we just have to get a deer in front of him this weekend. Youth season is Saturday and Sunday. Antlerless only.

Oh and he was shooting with the rifle in the death grip tripod and sitting in a chair just like he'll be in the blind.
View attachment 502397
Either one of those shots are killers. I would actually prefer the lower one with subs to take out the heart.

I have never loaded or shot the 190s but I can tell u that the subx is no match to the Maker bullets. Yes, the Maker bullets cost more but worth it. They perform as advertised and are deadly as a subsonic bullet.
I loaded Subx 250 grain and Maker 280 grain both subsonic and ran them through a 350 legend. Both bullets were very accurate at 1050 fps out to 100 yards but the difference was noticeable on live tissue. I shot approximately 50 pigs last winter testing both bullets and the performance was very noticeable. The Maker bullets were devastating. The petals opened up like a broadhead and did tremendous internal damage. The Subx bullet damage was meager and the pigs would run off and need to be tracked. I'm a long time Hornady user but I will only use Maker bullets for my sub loads

A friend of mine hunts hogs like crazy in Texas and said he used the 190's on about 30 hogs. He was 50/50 on success. The bullet rarely expanded, most just bent sideways and tumbled. Few were drt, and some were pretty rowdy recoveries. If you're gonna use these, you may have your own rifle set up as a back up shooter. Just to ensure the kiddo doesn't have a bad experience with his first kill.