Anyone shot deer with the 190grn Sub-x at 1050ish fps??

Looking for results on imPacts and damage from the 190 grain Hornady Sub-X at subsonic speeds. Is it plenty lethal on deer? Or have you had a bad experience.
I shot one deer last year with that round at 1040 and it anchored the deer well. The shot was short (under 50 yds). The bullet expanded to about 1.5x on the high side, and did not exist. Didn't take any pictures of the animal.

What weight bullet and charge weight were you using? I just did a quick work up last week and settled on 12.5 gr with a 208gr BTHP which should be around 1000 fps. It was quiet enough my Labradar wouldn't pick it up with the external mic I have and accurate enough to consistently hit around the middle of our 4" gong at 120 yards.

The 30-06 also has an 8 twist which helps.
When I tried the 30-06 load it was in my 20" 1:10 twist 30-06 rifle and I was using the 175 grain SubX bullet with 12 ish grains of Trailboss and a regular primer. I even reamed out primer flash holes to get more fire and used filler and still couldn't get a consistent burn. I then switched to the 308 so there was less case capacity and the 175 were even more erratic in it. So then I finally found some 190 grain SubX and in the 308 they were a game changer. Burn consistency drastically improved and shrunk groups to 1". Then I decided to try some magnum primers and those evened the burn out even more. Now it shoots 3/4" or a little better over 3 shots but the first shot is always slower and lower. If I throw out the first shot it will almost stack the rest of them. I have not tried the 190 in the 3006 yet. I may or may not try it. Haven't decided.

Since trail boss is nonexistent and I've used up my supply, I'm now using a loading of titegroup. Accuracy is extremely good considering I'm using a 10 twist. Rifle is a 16.25" howa barreled action from brownells, and a stocky carbon stock. Just playing with the rifle at a friends house, we were making hits on steel with boring consistency.

I shot a small doe this morning 115 yards. Got a complete pass through, excellent blood trail and she ran about 40-50 yards. Exit hole was about the size of a golf ball, entrance was caliber sized as expected. It did not appear that the bullet was tumbling to cause the damage.

IMG_7817.jpeg
IMG_7814.jpeg
IMG_7816.jpeg

Recent Posts