Anyone shot deer with the 190grn Sub-x at 1050ish fps??

A friend of mine hunts hogs like crazy in Texas and said he used the 190's on about 30 hogs. He was 50/50 on success. The bullet rarely expanded, most just bent sideways and tumbled. Few were drt, and some were pretty rowdy recoveries. If you're gonna use these, you may have your own rifle set up as a back up shooter. Just to ensure the kiddo doesn't have a bad experience with his first kill.
Good point. I may set up some water jugs and shoot them and see what one looks like. I think the early ones didn't expand as well as the latest batches. I think when I get the 300BO I'll set it up with makers from all the comments I've read.

Good point. I may set up some water jugs and shoot them and see what one looks like. I think the early ones didn't expand as well as the latest batches. I think when I get the 300BO I'll set it up with makers from all the comments I've read.
The makers seem like the way to go. I have a pile of the 190's loaded up and just relegated them to the practice range at this point.

The makers seem like the way to go. I have a pile of the 190's loaded up and just relegated them to the practice range at this point.
I'm gathering up some water jugs and am going to put a 190 through them and see what it does. All the videos I've see of people putting them into ballistic gel they expanded just fine. But from what I've read the first gen design of this bullet didn't expand well but the latest ones do fine. So idk. I watched a video from last year of my friend shooting a doe with a 190 at 1050fps out of his 300BO with a thermal scope. Perfect double lung shot and you can see blood just spray out the other side on impact and she took off running and you could see blood just spraying everywhere on the thermal. She went about 30 yards and did a little spin and went down. I'm hoping to see the same thing. Tomorrow and Sunday are youth season here so I'm hoping my boy can get his first deer with it. The whole reason if you haven't read all 5 pages is he is autistic and loves to go hu ting with me but won't shoot his own deer because he's afraid of the boom of a rifle. Loud noises cause anxiety for autistic kids. So I set up my 308 with these 190sub x and threw on a suppressor. He loves shooting this set up Now. The 190 were the first low velocity expanding bullets I came across. Next year I'm setting him up a 300BO and I'll use the maker bullets for it. But for now I'm praying these do the job for him this weekend. He's an excellent shot so I just need the bullet to do it's job

I applaud you for making the effort to find a way to get your son involved in a way that is comfortable for him! I hope everything works out smooth and he tags out this weekend.
Well this was not the outcome I was looking for this morning. I put 4 jugs of water back to back and then a bag of whole corn. The bullet went through all the jugs and into about 10" of corn. Expansion was horrible though. Not encouraging at all.
IMG_6548.jpeg
IMG_6547.jpeg

On a good note I sent these pics to a buddy of mine who uses them hog hunting and he told me not to worry. He's killed a bunch of hogs with them and said he's only recovered 4 bullets but all 4 were mushroomed beautifully. So I don't know. I'm hoping that the water just isn't enough resistance and flesh will peel them right back. They also did not loose stability at all. Even after 4 jugs of water it left a perfect round hole in the corn bag.

Last edited:
Well we know water jugs are an imperfect medium, do you may see better expansion in a critter. I don't know if a bone impact will open them up and retain enough energy to still push through.

I still advocate for giving it a try and standing by as a backup shooter just to minimize the chance of losing his first critter

Well this was not the outcome I was looking for this morning. I put 4 jugs of water back to back and then a bag of whole corn. The bullet went through all the jugs and into about 10" of corn. Expansion was horrible though. Not encouraging at all. View attachment 503423View attachment 503425

On a good note I sent these pics to a buddy of mine who uses them hog hunting and he told me not to worry. He's killed a bunch of hogs with them and said he's only recovered 4 bullets but all 4 were mushroomed beautifully. So I don't know. I'm hoping that the water just isn't enough resistance and flesh will peel them right back. They also did not loose stability at all. Even after 4 jugs of water it left a perfect round hole in the corn bag.
Water & gel are tougher mediums on projectiles than animals especially double lung, the only part that isn't is the stomach
Hogs will expand a projectile more than a Deer
The best way to think about hunting with subsonic conventional projectiles is pretend the rifle you are using is a 22LR and where would your shot placement be
Comparing cup & core or lead projectiles to purpose built subsonic mono is like comparing a field point arrow to a broadhead

Well we know water jugs are an imperfect medium, do you may see better expansion in a critter. I don't know if a bone impact will open them up and retain enough energy to still push through.

I still advocate for giving it a try and standing by as a backup shooter just to minimize the chance of losing his first critter
The only problem with that is it's youth season only. So I technically can't even carry the gun for him. But they better just turn their head on that one because he can't carry this beast and it's the only set up I have that's super quiet and low recoil right now. Hopefully the bullet just does it's job and it goes down quick

The only problem with that is it's youth season only. So I technically can't even carry the gun for him. But they better just turn their head on that one because he can't carry this beast and it's the only set up I have that's super quiet and low recoil right now. Hopefully the bullet just does it's job and it goes down quick
That's fair enough. In theory a good shot to the heart will work regardless of expansion, it just might take a few minutes. Best of luck to you both!

Anybody use Discreet Ballistics 188gr Selous bullets? Just bought 40 to use with subs out of my 30-06.
I haven't used discreet bullets at all. I heard they were expensive. BUT before doing this 308 load I tried to load them for my 30-06 and it DID NOT like subsonic loads. I was using the same trail boss powder and regular LR primers and no matter what I did I could not get a consistent burn. I constantly had a huge spread in velocities and about a 4"-6" vertical string on paper at 80 yards.

I haven't used discreet bullets at all. I heard they were expensive. BUT before doing this 308 load I tried to load them for my 30-06 and it DID NOT like subsonic loads. I was using the same trail boss powder and regular LR primers and no matter what I did I could not get a consistent burn. I constantly had a huge spread in velocities and about a 4"-6" vertical string on paper at 80 yards.

What weight bullet and charge weight were you using? I just did a quick work up last week and settled on 12.5 gr with a 208gr BTHP which should be around 1000 fps. It was quiet enough my Labradar wouldn't pick it up with the external mic I have and accurate enough to consistently hit around the middle of our 4" gong at 120 yards.

The 30-06 also has an 8 twist which helps.