2 deer down! 4000 + fps load works.

Calvin45

Hey all, just figured I'd share my results with you good people. I had my usual whitetail tag, and was drawn for antlerless mule deer as well here. I had a small window of time to hunt in, and filled both tags in the same day, November 23. While a one day hunting season is kind of lame in some regards, I'm so happy to not come away empty handed! Got the job done!

The doe was not too exciting a story. About 200 yards, just staring at me. I shot from freehand…BOOM…struck by lighting, DRT. I had to adjust my rifle's zero at my dads farm once I got this deer hanging at my uncles garage, as it was hitting stupid high…I'm not sure what happened, think the scope got bumped or something. No worries, one tag filled and it's still morning.

Well after lunch I head out again, and decide to go sit in a field I'm all clear to be in. Rather than attempt stealth, I take the high ground and just sit up on a hill with my bipod set up, plainly visible but far enough away that nothing really cares that I'm there. I watch a few does for awhile, just chilling (not actually cold though i am laying belly down on a crusted over foot of snow). Suddenly they get tense! And I haven't done anything but they start to nervously trot away…because a buck is coming towards them, and apparently they're not in the mood 🤣. I can't tell exactly how big he is but don't really care that much, meat in the freezer, certainly bigger than a doe. I got a clear shot…and make a rookie mistake. I almost didn't want to write it here but I believe in telling the whole story and not just the version you'd like to be true. I forgot to follow through. I totally forgot to follow through! I still feel dumb about that, I've tried to drill that into my head a hundred times but he was sauntering their way with a "hey ladies" kind of strut and I was leading him ever so slightly but as I pulled the trigger I stopped leading. I knew immediately what I had done wrong, and honestly assumed I had sent it into the field a couple feet behind him. But this bullet gets there faster than most. 120 grain Barnes tac tx out of my savage 111 .300 win mag long range hunter, doing 4050 feet per second muzzle velocity! (There's a separate thread i made this summer about this truly exceptional load).

I groaned, as duty demands one ALWAYS go and check for blood even if your sure you missed…and this was around 400 yards away. I'm so glad I did the right thing and went. As a writer in a hunting magazine once wrote, "there was a blood trail Ray Charles could have followed". And a few pieces of bone just laying in the snow. I tracked that blood trail down, and finally found him a quarter mile later, not at all having gone in a straight line. I finished him with a shot in the neck as he started to get up again upon my approach. Upon examination it was immediately obvious what happened. I had shot the animal's back leg off. Literally, it was hanging there by a string it seemed like. Because this dummy didn't follow through when he pulley the trigger! But the important thing is I did go check, I did track him, I did finish the job before much time had passed.

Or so I though. "Finish the job" wasn't accurate…the work had now just begun! The snow was soooo awful this year! Drifted deep in some places, but with that horrible crust that forms so that you break through with every step! Exhausting beyond description, i used to run half marathons and they are ABSOLUTELY NOTHING compared to hauling a dead full grown buck out of a brushy ravine and then over a quarter mile through deep crusted over snow, mostly uphill, by yourself. And I wasn't done yet, but all of a sudden my chest started just hammering in a way I've never experienced, and I could taste blood in my mouth. In retrospect I was severely dehydrated by that point I think. You don't feel thirst the same when it's cold outside and one forgets to drink. I'm pretty dense sometimes as you are no doubt gathering, prone to not knowing when to quit till I've hurt myself, but I knew it was time to swallow my pride and leave it there and go get help getting it the rest of the way. My dad and my brother in law helped me finish the job for real. Very thankful. And humbled in all this ordeal.

I'll attach a picture of the buck and of the exit wound on the doe's rib cage skinned out. But first, a final note of humour. It was November 23 that this happened. My 30th birthday was November 24. All told a pretty memorable and bountiful way to close out being in my twenties. But my cheeky brother in law said, once we had finished everything,

"Calvin, that was a big day. Can you imagine how sore you'd be if you had waited till you were in your thirties to do all that!?!?"🤣🤣🤣

Feeling great.

The entire dark portion is exit wound. I could have put my entire hand through it. Not much meat damage either, just ribs.

Attachments

• AD4BAA5D-88B7-4B61-A2AD-32843D0B46B1.jpeg
    AD4BAA5D-88B7-4B61-A2AD-32843D0B46B1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • 2CD1D312-9124-4002-AE08-C7D2CF72693E.jpeg
    2CD1D312-9124-4002-AE08-C7D2CF72693E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
I've got a few more bullets I want to try in that 300 but honestly don't know why, with my one hole accurate 225 eld m load and this 4050 fps mono metal load I really have all bases and ranges covered now. Still planning on doing something someday with the 180 trophy bonded tip, the 195 tipped matchking, and the 250 grain hawk round noses i have just for fun.

@ButterBean , @scope-eye , @Muddyboots I can't remember if it was you three or not that I said I'd be sure to fill in on how this .300 blackout bullet performed at such speeds but I know we talked a bit during the load development stage so figured I'd tag you gentlemen here. It is more violent than any load I've seen. "The blender". And it appears it sheds its petals. I don't know if the leg hit on the buck exited, will find out when I butcher it.

Recovered this petal just under the skin on that doe.
1637944120404.jpeg

@Hand Skills @Carsyn.22 , my fellow Saskatchewan people, I know you had asked to hear how my season went. Never did go elk hunting in September. COVID went through our home and we had to isolate. Everyone was fine, mildly annoying at the worst, but obviously weren't going anywhere

@ButterBean , @scope-eye , @Muddyboots I can't remember if it was you three or not that I said I'd be sure to fill in on how this .300 blackout bullet performed at such speeds but I know we talked a bit during the load development stage so figured I'd tag you gentlemen here. It is more violent than any load I've seen. "The blender". And it appears it sheds its petals. I don't know if the leg hit on the buck exited, will find out when I butcher it.

Recovered this petal just under the skin on that doe.
View attachment 314738

@Hand Skills @Carsyn.22 , my fellow Saskatchewan people, I know you had asked to hear how my season went. Never did go elk hunting in September. COVID went through our home and we had to isolate. Everyone was fine, mildly annoying at the worst, but obviously weren't going anywhere
Congrats

congratulations! you did well! we only got one in muzzle season, scratched on rifle season. saw a buck a bit bigger than yours but there was too much brush in the way. Yeah our snow was too crunch for stealth this year. Best I could do was walk slow and pause often like the deer do and hope they couldn't tell the difference in footfalls.

But this bullet gets there faster than most. 120 grain Barnes tac tx out of my savage 111 .300 win mag long range hunter, doing 4050 feet per second muzzle velocity!
Calvin,

Anything under 180g is too light for "my" personal preference and hunting purpose on my .300 WMs but congratulations are in order all around. Credit is due on you as a hunter and for Barnes' bullet. Well do; enjoy the good eats.

Ed

Calvin,

Anything under 180g is too light for "my" personal preference and hunting purpose on my .300 WMs but congratulations are in order all around. Credit is due on you as a hunter and for Barnes' bullet. Well do; enjoy the good eats.

Ed
Last years buck was taken with a 225 eld m on the other end of the weight spectrum.

I just like trying new things, especially combos that don't exist as factory ammo or at much increased performance, no particular philosophy as in "light and fast" or "heavy and frangible", I don't require exit wounds but do like them for tracking in snow, I don't subscribe to any energy dump theory as I've seen them get hit by a car, get up, and keep going…the energy imparted to them is faaaaaar greater than any shoulder fired weapon haha.

On the "next to try from my stash list" I still have 210 ablrs, 195 tmks, 180 trophy bonded tips, 208 elds, and some great big blunt 250 grain hawk round nose bullets that I suspect ought to really slam hard at ordinary hunting ranges. But with most seasons only seeing one tag, it's a to do list that only gets bigger haha

I just like trying new things, especially combos that don't exist as factory ammo
Absolutely, that's what handloading is all about.
I just like trying new things, especially combos that don't exist as factory ammo or at much increased performance, no particular philosophy as in "light and fast" or "heavy and frangible", I don't require exit wounds but do like them for tracking in snow, I don't subscribe to any energy dump theory
"I" am one of those that do believe in sustaining enough energy at POI. "My" unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS for elk and 1000 FT-LBS for deer at POI + >minimum velocity for the bullet I am using to effectively expand. This is one reasons that I switch to Berger bullets (frangible type bullet) and similar design like the Matrix VLDs.

Below is doe harvested with 175 Matrix VLD out of my .270 AI at 2993 FPS. No it is not a gut shot, if you look closer it went through her heart but the bullet fragmented violently to nearly field dress her.
WT Doe 1 of 2.jpg

WT Doe 2 of 2.jpg

"I" am one of those that do believe in sustaining enough energy at POI. "My" unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS for elk and 1000 FT-LBS for deer at POI + >minimum velocity for the bullet I am using to effectively expand. This is one reasons that I switch to Berger bullets (frangible type bullet) and similar design like the Matrix VLDs.

Below is doe harvested with 175 Matrix VLD out of my .270 AI at 2993 FPS. No it is not a gut shot, if you look closer it went through her heart but the bullet fragmented violently to nearly field dress her.
View attachment 319708
View attachment 319709

Whatever works! Can't argue with results. Whatever gives fast kills (and your photo certainly indicates one!). It does seem there are some bad combos, certainly not saying there's no difference. High sd monos at low velocity have a reputation for penciling through. Varmint bullets out of varmint calibers used for shoulder shooting large game is asking for trouble. There's just no one "magic requirement" in my book is all…given how swiftly an arrow can kill (or a big rock dropped from above as in days of old to be honest) I see no line to draw that isn't arbitrary.

Also I'm being a tad overkill as is, honestly doesn't matter too much what projectile I'd suspect, chest shooting something as small as a whitetail with any expanding bullet out of a .300 win mag seems like a foregone conclusion.

Sad that matrix isn't making rifle bullets any more, I had always been curious about them.

Whatever works! Can't argue with results. Whatever gives fast kills (and your photo certainly indicates one!). It does seem there are some bad combos, certainly not saying there's no difference. High sd monos at low velocity have a reputation for penciling through. Varmint bullets out of varmint calibers used for shoulder shooting large game is asking for trouble. There's just no one "magic requirement" in my book is all…given how swiftly an arrow can kill (or a big rock dropped from above as in days of old to be honest) I see no line to draw that isn't arbitrary.

Also I'm being a tad overkill as is, honestly doesn't matter too much what projectile I'd suspect, chest shooting something as small as a whitetail with any expanding bullet out of a .300 win mag seems like a foregone conclusion.

Sad that matrix isn't making rifle bullets any more, I had always been curious about them.
Agreed! My last correspondence with the new Matrix owner is that they are trying to get back into rifle bullet making but did not comment on time frame.

View attachment 319708
View attachment 319709

that's impressive no need for a knife lol