Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Well even though mine is in a temporary stock I decided to see how fast these 150gr NBTs were running loaded over 75gr of RL25. I zeroed the scope for 200y and started walking it out from there, the cattle were too close to my 400y target so I skipped out to the next one.

585y the first shot is the top one holding 8 moa, then I adjusted my hold to 7 moa and fired the next 3. The wind was blowing 3-5 steady with gusts to 10 today as you can see in how the bullet splash blows to the right.

Pointed the gun at my 648y target next and held 8 moa. only fired 2 because I had used an extra on the closer target and only had 3 left for the next target.

At this point I started running the numbers through shooter to see what kind of velocity I was getting and to know what to dial for the next target because it was a 150y jump to the next one. I ended up at 3380fps so the program called for 12.75 moa for 800y and 1.5 moa for wind. Dialed it up and held the wind and let one fly.

The first round was the lowest and furthest to the right. Watched it hit in the scope and seen that it was low so I dialed up to 13.75 moa and shot my last 2 rounds. The second round was the one closest to the bull i'm pretty sure I pulled the last one and would have shot another but that was all I had loaded.

I didn't think it was shooting too bad considering the hacked up not bedded not floated stock that its sitting in right now.

Played with the program some more. Switched over to the Litz G7 BC for the NBT 150gr bullet and lowered the velocity to 3350fps and it matches up real nice now.

Nice shooting, i just took mine out again today after taking a 3000 dollar scope off that was moving and put on my pst and things were good best group with no proven loads was abou 3/4" at 150 yards. Will play with this a little and see where it will go. That is a 180 vld on top of 75.5 grains of h1000 and cci 250 on second firing

Will keep you all updated

Very Good shooting!! I knew the recoil felt VERY light with that rifle, impressive you could watch the impact at that yardage.

Rod, I was able to watch the bullet impacts on all of the targets. I let Cole shoot it a few rounds at the 500y target and his ear plug fell out once....he was still complaining about his ear last I talked to him. This thing needs a warning sign...lol

Now I got to play with the 168 and 180 bergers some more and see what they are doing. I found that my max usable load for the 180s was at 76gr of h1000 but its a hotter load then I would like to run so I don't plan on loading them over 75gr. I ran the 168s up to 76gr of h1000 and the pressure was still light so i'm going to run them on up and find the max.

Get an Oehler or a Magneto Speed.

73 gr of H-1000 and a 180 should be well over 2861 from a 27" tube.

In all honesty, I will say your are shooting on different days under different light and the Chrony is fooling with you.

Have you tested drops out to 1000 to see what velocity is needed to match?

Jeff

got my magnetospeed today,,, my 180 load with rel 25 3008 ave, 168 long range accubomb load is 3038 10 shot ave,,,when i shot my drops for the 168 i was thinking i was at 3130 or so using berger website and the nosler g7, i will run my h1000 loads and retumbo thru the magneto in a day or two,, the magneto wants to keeping jumping off barrel every 3 or 4 shots have to keep pulling it back to the same spot on barrel i marked

got my magnetospeed today,,, my 180 load with rel 25 3008 ave, 168 long range accubomb load is 3038 10 shot ave,,,when i shot my drops for the 168 i was thinking i was at 3130 or so using berger website and the nosler g7, i will run my h1000 loads and retumbo thru the magneto in a day or two,, the magneto wants to keeping jumping off barrel every 3 or 4 shots have to keep pulling it back to the same spot on barrel i marked

Make sure the strap on your MS is a double loop, not a single. Also if it keeps coming loose we placed one of the extra rubber spacers on top the barrel under the strap to give it more memory. This kept it tight.

Jeff

ran out and tried a handful of loads 73 gr h1000 went 3019, 74 gr retumbo 3013 both leave ejector marks, running 2o thousands short of the lands, a new bullet drops in a fired case with a slight drag,,,so i have a longer barrel, wildcat, new dies and brass, didnt gain but about 100 fps over the last custom 7mags i had built with kreiger and bartlein barrels,,,

was really hoping to be in the 3100 range with the 180 berger

my 7saum with 27 in kreiger barrel is shooting the 180 berger at 2870,,, 63 gr of 4831sc,,

i think i will send it off and have travis do a 7 rorue with a new barrel after hunting season,,,

on a positive note the magnetospeed is tremendous, best piece of shooting gear i have bought, been thru to many chronys and prochronos,,,, but no more,,,

ran out and tried a handful of loads 73 gr h1000 went 3019, 74 gr retumbo 3013 both leave ejector marks, running 2o thousands short of the lands, a new bullet drops in a fired case with a slight drag,,,so i have a longer barrel, wildcat, new dies and brass, didnt gain but about 100 fps over the last custom 7mags i had built with kreiger and bartlein barrels,,,

my 7saum with 27 in kreiger barrel is shooting the 180 berger at 2870,,, 63 gr of 4831sc,,

i think i will send it off and have travis do a 7 rorue with a new barrel after hunting season,,,

on a positive note the magnetospeed is tremendous, best piece of shooting gear i have bought, been thru to many chronys and prochronos,,,, but no more,,,

Before you give up I would try some WW brass. The added case volume might help a bit. I am able to run 3 gr more with WW than RWS. But as always work up to that load.

Was you old rifle in 7 mag checked with a good reliable chronograph??

These loads you just tested were they with 180 Berger VLD's or 180 Berger Hybrids?

The fastest 7/300 I have done was a 29" Hart and it got to 3175 with a 180 VLD and 77 gr of H-1000 in WW brass. The shorter barreled 26" rifle was about a 3100 fps rifle. Again it was a 6 land Hart.

Jeff

Curious what barrel your using and the throat length on the reamer?

300stw
Broz is right on! Don't bother with the rws brass.
I had the same problem with rws brass. I have best results with Norma brass but Win is a close second. The extra case capacity definitely helps.
You will get the results you want with retumbo and norma or win cases.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.