Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Question's to anyone on this thread...Has anyone built one of these 7mm-300 on a savage 110 action? I currently have a savage Stevens action in a 300WM. I believe it's what you would call the blind magazine or the staggered magazine that is attached to the gun. If this type of build was something I could do (have a smith do), would the magazine be long enough for 180's or soon the 195 VLD's? From reading would a new mag box be needed? I am changing it over to a 7mm because I also have a 300 ultra as well. I would like a 7mm shooting the 180vld's around the 3100fps mark but the (rem mag) will be little slower than I like. Not a deal killer but I do like were the speed is on the 7mm-300 and I don't think it would wear out the barrel like the 7mm ultra. I also like to shoot a lot as well. So my next question is it worth it to try and get another barrel; is there that much gain over the 7mm rem. Just some thoughts. Also it seems a few of you have your own special reamer built so it sounds like I would need some custom smith work on a barrel that is not chambered since I have never seen any such calibers/chambers on any of the barrel makers sites. Some of them have some wildcats but just have not seen the 7-300 unless I missed it. Thanks for any input. My current build project once I have all the parts will be a blue printed Stevens action chambered for the 7mmRM. It will be a 26 inch bull barrel 1:9 twist rate. So I hope it will shoot the 180's ok and some 168's. :rolleyes:

I'd also be interested in a 7mm-300WM variant in a Savage barrel for my 110 build.

I was playing around in CAD at work and figured out the neck length for a straight 7-300WM, i.e., "neck it down and shoot." Comes to a .238" neck length. Not too terrible.

I then paired the 7mm neck with a 35 deg shoulder and .011" reduction in body taper. Body now tapers from .513 above the belt to .500 at the shoulder vs .489 for the 300WM. Length dimension to the body-shoulder junction remains unchanged. Gave me a .292" neck. Nice.

I also built a .300WM and then revolved all three (300, straight 7-300, and 7-300 "Improved") about the bore axis to create solid volumes. Querying the volumes above the belt shows all three are within 2% in useful case capacity. I left out the neck and about half the shoulder for the volume comparison.

At that point I'm not sure the body taper reduction and sharper shoulder angle are worth the fuss of custom dies. Sure, the sharper shoulder should reduce case growth and the longer neck provides theoretically better bullet alignment for "jumping" but is it worth it? What say the experienced 7-300 crew?

I have built one on a savage 110 that started life as a 7mm mag. i found a benchmark palma contoured blank that i had chambered to where i just neck down and shoot. i am going to be loading the 180 bergers and am planning for 3150fps or so. my factory magazine was not long enough so i added a single shot follower and that will work fine. i left the barrel at 29" since there was no reason to set it back further. the only reason i have yet to shoot it is due to a stock that has taken 6 months and should be showing up this weekend. i have scope mounted ready to go, just have to throw some bullets together and go to the range and i can not wait.

Chuck
I built a 7-300 win mag ai. It seems to give a definite performance advantage.
I got some unbelievable chrono numbers on my initial testing.
I need to shoot them again to verify drops before I post them.

Chuck
I built a 7-300 win mag ai. It seems to give a definite performance advantage.
I got some unbelievable chrono numbers on my initial testing.
I need to shoot them again to verify drops before I post them.

Cool, sounds like what I was thinking of. Would like to hear more details on your velocities and accuracy when you can share.

Did you have PTG make you a reamer? Who cut the chamber for you?

I want to get a heavy 28" Savage barrel made. I don't have a problem modifying an existing reamer print to have a custom reamer made but would prefer not to re-invent the wheel unless I have to.

Yes I got the reamer from pig.
I only shot through the chrono doing pressure tests at 100 yds with 162 amax and got 3500 fps with no excess pressure signs with 162gr amax. Norma brass and retumbo.
I'm using a29"barrel .
I need to verify the data since it is way higher than seems possible

Yes I got the reamer from pig.
I only shot through the chrono doing pressure tests at 100 yds with 162 amax and got 3500 fps with no excess pressure signs with Norma brass and retumbo.
I'm using a29"barrel .
I need to verify the data since it is way higher than seems possible

I suspect the chrono was a bit generous! It would seem that pressures would be too high with that velocity. But case head expansion ,bolt lift, extractor marks, etc all were fine.
Of course velocity is a pressure sign itself,but the load is sub maximum using all other factors.
When I shoot long range and get actual drops will help confirm things.

Chuck,
I couldn't find the reamer print but have contacted PTG and asked them to email a print to you and me.
It is a 7-300win mag ai with .220 free bore.

i am collecting parts for a second 7mm-300win. building it from a 300 ultra mag in a senduro stock. i would be interested on the part# for the improved version. have a 30 hart barrel and a thumhole mcmillian stock so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.