Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

a question for broz, i have a 300 ultra mag that has very few round through it less than 20. i am wanting to build a 28 to 30in 7mm/300 on it. already have a 24in model 70 so i already have dies and experiance with loading the 180vld. it shoots great however the shorter mag of the model 70 is holding it back. the ultra mag it on a senduro stock. only looking to change barrels and chamber for the 7mm/300win. perhaps trigger ajustment also.

The freebore on my reamer is .180 and it is 'short' in the manner that it does affect velocity. But it is very accurate with 162 AMAX and 180 VLD. The 180 VLD will still clear 3000 fps but they are not getting to the 3150 fps area I had planned on.

I have thought about using a throating reamer to get more speed but I cannot mess with it for how accurate it shoots.

I can give you the cartridge overall length later.

Looks like I was wrong. Shot mine the past two days and it is going faster than it was last fall. So, A combination of the barrel getting broken in, took a little more off the neck thickness and one more grain of powder (75.5 gr. h1000). The chrono read an average of 3150 yesterday and 3250 today. The chrono is not the best so there is some error sometimes. But I can confirm it is about an inch high at 100 and dead on at 200. So it is somewhere in the 3150-3200 range. I will confirm velocity at further ranges when I get a chance.

Looks like I was wrong. Shot mine the past two days and it is going faster than it was last fall. So, A combination of the barrel getting broken in, took a little more off the neck thickness and one more grain of powder (75.5 gr. h1000). The chrono read an average of 3150 yesterday and 3250 today. The chrono is not the best so there is some error sometimes. But I can confirm it is about an inch high at 100 and dead on at 200. So it is somewhere in the 3150-3200 range. I will confirm velocity at further ranges when I get a chance.

What kind of brass are you using? Just curious! Thanks!!

DT

How dose Boss 300WM 215gr 3030fps .696 BC on elk stack up to the 7mm-300WM, knowing the 300WM dosn't need any special reamers or fire forming?

I will always give the heavier bullet a thumbs up for elk no matter if the dia. is .284 or .308. This is why I am still shooting the 300 win. But out to 800 / 900 it might be hard to tell a difference. The difference will surely go to bullet placement. At 1000 plus I will give it to the 300 win and a 215.

But things could easily change here. When we get to testing the new 195 Berger. A 7mm-300 with a 195 gr bullet at 3100 plus, and a BC of close to .800, well that just is not something any medium bore lover will want to look past.

Jeff

I will always give the heavier bullet a thumbs up for elk no matter if the dia. is .284 or .308. This is why I am still shooting the 300 win. But out to 800 / 900 it might be hard to tell a difference. The difference will surely go to bullet placement. At 1000 plus I will give it to the 300 win and a 215.

Jeff

At 1000+ wouldn't a nice, fast 338 be the better choice? :D

They duplicate the 7mm dakota in performance, only down side is you will require a 3.9" or 4" box mag from wyatts to seat the bullets out where you need them.
Chris

My 7-300wm is throated for 162 Amax's and it fits in a standard 3.68" Remington mag box with loaded rounds at 3.61" OAL. With 180's you'd need a 3.8" Wyatt mag box to seat the boattail junction at the bottom of the neck. The 162's, 168's, and 180's are all really close to 1000yds so I chose the easier path and used lighter bullets that fit in the factory mag box.

They duplicate the 7mm dakota in performance, only down side is you will require a 3.9" or 4" box mag from wyatts to seat the bullets out where you need them.
Chris

They definitely don't need the long box. Have built several of the straight 7-300WM's and they fit well inside the normal 3.8" box and still have the performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.