Anyone else here with a secret Gunsmith?

I have met a fella similar to what y'all are talking about. I have enjoyed learning all that I can from this man. He is not only very knowledgeable but he is also very willing to share his knowledge with others. Turns out, he has become very good friend.

Any body have any suggestions about what I can possible do to retrieve my barreled action and stock.???
Dang. That's always been a concern with my smith as well, but I've seen the 'books' he keeps with the information he records in it every time I take him a build. Hopefully yours did the same and his family (or some fairly 'neutral party') can track it that way. FFL nightmare for someone for sure!

I Had a Gunsmith in South Carolina. Any body have any suggestions about what I can possible do to retrieve my barreled action and stock.???
If he was legit at all, his record book was claimed by BATFE when he passed. He should have been logging in and out. Get in touch with the local office and see what they may be able to tell you. I had kind of a reverse situation that I finally had to take action on back in PA because my 'smith, a guy I considered a good friend, had my guns so long I thought I would die before he got around to them.

There's lots of stories out there where guys have sent parts in for a build and years go by before they get their rifle even if they ever do get it. 2 years wait has not been uncommon. I've read stories where 5 years have gone by and no rifle. I do believe that being a good gunsmith is about taking your time dialing in and reaming a barrel with attention to detail. I believe that now the God like mystisizm that was once thought about the really great gunsmiths is coming to an end. I'm not taking anything away from those guys but just about all of the tricks to making a rifle shoot bug holes are out in the open now. It's just a matter of getting a good barrel of appropriate twist, the right reamer, and getting in the hands of someone who's gonna take their time dialing in and chambering to optimal head space with out screwing up. And I've saw screw ups that still somehow shoots well. I have a buddy who is a good mechanic. He went and bought himself a lathe, taught himself to use it, and five years later he wins a himself a FTR state championship. But as I also believe, 40 years experience helps a lot in knowing how to not screw up.

Last edited:
I Had a Gunsmith in South Carolina. Jack Hamerick Customs. Did a super job on a 98 Mauser action. But Job # 2 took 3 years to complete. New Rem. 700 barreled action in .375H and H . Still in the box from 1989. New sweat on Barrel Front Sights , Express sights and a barrel band. When the work was finally done, I paid him in full , and then , foolishly, I sent him the stock form Pilar Bedding, and a new Black recoil pad. Then he passed away. No word of this. Several Phone calls and letter and e mails. Finally I learned of his passing. My "Rifle "is Gone. His family knows nothing of his business, or what's in his shop. Any body have any suggestions about what I can possible do to retrieve my barreled action and stock.???
Your rifle should be recorded in his required ATF Bound Book. Records make, model, serial number, type (bolt action rifle, revolver, lever rifle, etc), date taken in , owners name and address (I add phone number, too).

There's an older fellow about 70 years old about 30 minutes from my house. He lives in a rural area. He's a retired machine shop supervisor and 40 year gunsmith. He's got all his machine equipment behind his house in a modest building and don't advertise his business what so ever and really doesnt really want me to tell any people about him. He chamber up a 6.5 prc for me on a bartlein blank. I got on my 500 yard gong after the fourth shot ever fired from the rifle and proceeded to shoot an honest 2.25" group with Hornady 147 gr factory ammo. To say the least, I was highly impressed. There's stories around the community about his dad who would take a empty 12 gauge shell, stand it upright on a fence post. Shoot it with a 22 pistol and lay the empty shell over, shoot it again and stand it up right again. And do it over and over again.
Boy, the benchrest shooters, those that shoot the smallest groups in the world, are going to be thrilled about not cleaning from you experts.

I'm curious as to what state your in. You described a man named Truman almost to a "T".

I Had a Gunsmith in South Carolina. Jack Hamerick Customs. Did a super job on a 98 Mauser action. But Job # 2 took 3 years to complete. New Rem. 700 barreled action in .375H and H . Still in the box from 1989. New sweat on Barrel Front Sights , Express sights and a barrel band. When the work was finally done, I paid him in full , and then , foolishly, I sent him the stock form Pilar Bedding, and a new Black recoil pad. Then he passed away. No word of this. Several Phone calls and letter and e mails. Finally I learned of his passing. My "Rifle "is Gone. His family knows nothing of his business, or what's in his shop. Any body have any suggestions about what I can possible do to retrieve my barreled action and stock.???

I had a elderly gentleman just like this, a lifetime bachelor who lived by himself. He did great work, but everything was verbal, no receipt, no paperwork. The whole time he would have my rifle, I would just think what would happen if he passes and I have zero documentation the rifle is mine. I really appreciated his skills and his craftsmanship, but that was always a concern. I hope you have some sort of receipt, otherwise you probably have to reason with his family. I imagine probate court would be the last resort, but that may cost more than the rifle is worth.

Hi all and thank you all For your suggestions! I Live in new Jersey and the Gunsmith Was located in Greenwood , South Carolina! His Son seemed like a Nice guy but said He knew nothing about his Fathers business! I Guess I have to contact BATFE in SC! Thanks again gentlemen !! Lenny

Hi all and thank you all For your suggestions! I Live in new Jersey and the Gunsmith Was located in Greenwood , South Carolina! His Son seemed like a Nice guy but said He knew nothing about his Fathers business! I Guess I have to contact BATFE in SC! Thanks again gentlemen !! Lenny
I'd bet you're screwed, Lenny. ATF doesn't leave firearms 'hanging' and un-claimed when they have documentation. I'd just about bet your 'gunsmith' wasn't licensed like the law requires gunsmiths be..... But check anyway, you might luck-out.

Thank You Shortgrass, I am in a situation I have never been in. I'm going to call his son again . If I hit a wall , then call the the BATF . I thank everyone for helping!!!

I'd bet you're screwed, Lenny. ATF doesn't leave firearms 'hanging' and un-claimed when they have documentation. I'd just about bet your 'gunsmith' wasn't licensed like the law requires gunsmiths be..... But check anyway, you might luck-out.
Is there any chance he could report it as stolen? He would probably still never see it again but you never know. Someone has possession of it. I can't be nowhere, it has to be somewhere. Guns don't just set in the same place forever when whoever is in possession of them pass away. When someone passes away, people come after what they want and liquidize what they don't want.