Anybody shooting Brownings?

muddycreek

I've been looking to get a Sendero either this year or next, and got to reading all about Remington's problems with the 700s firing for no reason. It seems the x-mark trigger is helping this a lot, but the 700 7mm that I have that is a couple of years old doesn't have the x-mark trigger. Thought about getting rid of it and trying one of the x-bolt rifles from Browning. Anyone have any experience with them? Good, bad or otherwise? Some of the guys I hunt with and myself all shoot Browning shotguns and love them. Just wondering about the rifles.

Don't know about the Browning rifles but I will say this about 'factory' triggers, their design is solely controlled by insurance companies and lawyers, doesn't matter which major manufacture we're talking about. If you're worried about your older Remington trigger, most 'smiths have 'a bucket full' of X-Pro triggers and will install one for you.

IMO, some of the problems with the walker trigger is that uneducated people were adjusting their triggers causing the unsafe conditition.

I've been looking to get a Sendero either this year or next, and got to reading all about Remington's problems with the 700s firing for no reason. It seems the x-mark trigger is helping this a lot, but the 700 7mm that I have that is a couple of years old doesn't have the x-mark trigger. Thought about getting rid of it and trying one of the x-bolt rifles from Browning. Anyone have any experience with them? Good, bad or otherwise? Some of the guys I hunt with and myself all shoot Browning shotguns and love them. Just wondering about the rifles.

I have been buying and shooting Remington rifles since 1968. I still have my first one which is a 7MM BDL Remington. At this very minute I own 16 Remingtons. I have never had one to fire accidently. They only fire when I pull the trigger. From what I understand the problem is when someone with little or no experience tries to lighten the trigger pull weight and goes to far. By the way, three of my Remington's are Sendero's. They are great shooters.

Rem300ultra, you should sell muddycreek one of your Remingtons, so that he doesn't end up with a brand new crooked chamber, or missing rifling..

Someone I work with just yesterday mentioned one of his Remingtons has the trigger issue talked about. Seems that if the trigger were pulled with the safety on, it would fire -when the safety was released. I don't know if he had adjusted it, and he had never noticed until reading about it, then testing for it.

I have been buying and shooting Remington rifles since 1968. I still have my first one which is a 7MM BDL Remington. At this very minute I own 16 Remingtons. I have never had one to fire accidently. They only fire when I pull the trigger. From what I understand the problem is when someone with little or no experience tries to lighten the trigger pull weight and goes to far. By the way, three of my Remington's are Sendero's. They are great shooters.

I wish I could say that. My VS did it several times, and with two different triggers. Later I installed one built by a very well known bench rest shooter, and it seems to be OK. Still I don't think the remington problem is all in the trigger, as mine let go when the saftey was released (triggers were setup for about 2.5lb. to 3lb. of pull). My current trigger is a 1978 manufacture, and the others were much newer. But on the other hand I now don't close the bolt till I'm ready to shoot
gary

I wouldn't get rid of your Sendero unless it just doesn't shoot that well because like some earlier posts stated you can easily get a new trigger installed even though my experience shows with the old Remington triggers you really don't have to worry about accidental discharges unless someone really FUBAR'd the trigger job.

That being said I have owned a few Browning rifles and currently have an X Bolt 300 WSM. For a rifle that weighs less than 8 pounds scoped and fully loaded it's one of the best shooting rifles I've ever seen (1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards). I had a Browning A Bolt in 270 Win that would shoot handloaded 140 grain SST's into less than 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards all day long and have never shot a Browning that I couldn't get 1 inch groups or better even with factory ammo. I know some people say that Brownings shoot awful but my personal experience shows all of them can produce better than MOA groups.

I was looking on Browning's website last night and they just released an A Bolt Long Range Hunter that looks like it could be a sweet gun. The trigger on the X Bolt is better than the A Bolt trigger straight from the factory but you can buy triggers springs off MidwayUSA for an A Bolt for less than $30 that make the A Bolt trigger feel awesome.

The reason I continue to shoot Brownings over any other brand is because they feel really nimble and lightweight and where I hunt I hate carrying any more weight than necessary. So if weight is not an issue keep your Sendero and have the trigger replaced if it is bothering you that much, but if you want something lighter and more nimble the Brownings rock.

I have an x-bolt composite stalker in .300 WSM. I do like the rifle a lot. The composite stock is very nice, light, and has a superb feel even in the wet and cold. The trigger is very nice for my taste, and backs down to about 3.5 pounds, which may be a tad strong if you like it light. More discerning trigger fingers may feel otherwise, but my finger hasn't really gained a ton of experience on the finer triggers out there. I don't think the action is world class by any means... but might be a victim of being built to reduce weight rather than complete, zero tolerance accuracy. I have only began really getting it dialed in and I'd say it can shoot 1 MOA on my particular handloads with 150gr Nosler BTs in the 3050 fps range. This year I have hopes of getting more of 1/2 to 3/4 moa and my long term opinion of the gun just might hinge on that.

I'm sort of on the opposite side of the spectrum though as I'm more of one who likes to tinker and upgrade things so if I were to do it again, I'd probably buy a Remington 700 that actually has an aftermarket. There is very little out there for Brownings. But if you want a gun that is 1 moa accurate, out of the box ready deer rifle to medium distances it certainly fits the bill. For that purpose I am certainly pleased with it. When my "offseason" activities kick in punching targets at over 500... we'll see.

get a sendero in the caliber of your choice you will love it. if you want replace the trigger. have severalwith shilen trggers , a jewell and a couple with the factory trigger adjusted.

I've got two Browning A-Bolts in .243 and .270 and both are tack drivers, you can buy a spring kit to drop the trigger pull. I had a .308 A- Bolt never shot up to my expectations so I let her go. There pretty smooth, however after market parts are pretty much a dream. On the other hand Remington after market products are everywhere. I can't speak about everyone's Browning Actions but mine look a little weak compared to others.

I also have a 700 and a newer model. I think I'm done with Big Green until they get better management or better quality control. I had a few problems called there service department, and they pretty much made my mind up about who I want buy from.

KEEP THE REMINGTON! There is NOTHING wrong with a Remington trigger if they haven't been messed with by someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I've been using Remingtons since the 60's and still prefer them. If you try to set them too light or shorten up the sear engagement too much, sure, they will go off when you close the bolt.......Rich

The only person i have seen using a Browning rifle is on a Hunting TV show with a Female Country singer that was on American Idle Christa something "just loves her browning rifle"

Hello Muddycreek,

My wife has a Browning BAR with a B.O.S.S. on it. I have an A-Bolt with the same B.O.S.S. Both are in 30-06 (makes it easier to reload), and both were bought used. Clover-leafing at 100 yards is now standard procedure for both of us, using any premium cartridge or careful reloads. This was especially surprising for the BAR, because automatics were not supposed to be that accurate - or so we were told. We have taken everything from antelope to moose. Now both my daughters want Brownings.

Two things besides accuracy that we like about our Brownings. There is something about the crisp, smooth Browning action, with nothing loose, nothing imbalanced that we both like very much, and somehow we did not get the same sensation from the other fine rifles we have. And we both were extremely surprised at the minimum recoil. That's our take on it, although we are not professionals, nor do we have the opportunity to shoot and hunt all that much.

I have had some great hunts w/ my a-bolt SS. iT IS A RELIABLE 700-800 YRD TYPE ,325 WSM. 7-6 OZ READY TO HUNT.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.