Anybody shooting 230gr. A-tips?

My RUM is 1:10" but 32". Need to to check group out further to really know if they are stabilized i guess. Only tried Retumbo so far, hoping it will work. I have H1000 I currently use in 7wsm if I can't find suitable load.

I shoot them from my 300PRC at 3010fps with a 28 inch barrel and RL26. I have been impressed with them at range but each gun has it's favorite. I need to buy some more of the 230Atips.
Are you gonna try the 250gr atips? I have a box of those I'm wanting to try at some point

I don't have the magazine length to make the 250's work I don't think. Also I'm not sure 9 twist would stabilize them. That would be 338 lapua ballistics!!lol

Love them in my 300 PRC. Load w 76.5 of N565 to get 2,825 fps. Could go faster but that's a good low node. Better BC and ballistics than the Bergers at long range.
The 250's have not been as popular. People say they can't get them to shoot consistently and no advantage over the 230's. I use 78 grs of Retumbo at 2,770. Get OK groups.
It's funny, I use to think they were so expensive, $1/bullet, but now they are a bargain and you can find them.

Love them in my 300 PRC. Load w 76.5 of N565 to get 2,825 fps. Could go faster but that's a good low node. Better BC and ballistics than the Bergers at long range.
The 250's have not been as popular. People say they can't get them to shoot consistently and no advantage over the 230's. I use 78 grs of Retumbo at 2,770. Get OK groups.
It's funny, I use to think they were so expensive, $1/bullet, but now they are a bargain and you can find them.
That's too bad to hear but I did wonder about that….with the 250s being tricky. I figured there must be a reason no one was making anything that long besides just twists

On the other hand the excellent YouTube channel mark and Sam after work sees them using 250 atips out of a .30-378 to 3050 yards on targets….and there's an old 1000 yard record used to be held by a .30-378 with long discontinued 250 grain Sierra matchkings….maybe just requires more experimenting

I hope the 250s aren't a disappointment. I have 100 on hand to try out when I get my NMI finished.
Hope you post your results so we can follow. It seems like you have to set up your rifle specifically for the 250's, and I'm still waiting to see any evidence that they're going to shoot better than the 230's.

I think the 250 in a 300NM or something will a little more capacity than the 300 PRC or 300 WM will put the 30 caliber in the range of the 338 Lapua. Sectional density and velocity will be the indicators. A 338 Allen magnum with a 420 grain bullet may be the ultimate long range mild recoil round. Just some thought to insight Kirby to build one!!lol

Shooting the 230 A tips in my 300 PRC 1-9 twist brux barrel with no issues at all. Running Retumbo powder in Hornady brass getting 2887 mv and the accuracy is good but not great. I did find in my rifle they like a little jump, I settled on 70 thou. I do have Lapua brass and a box of Berger 230 hybrids to try but haven't had the time. I hope this helps, Jason

Recent Posts