Anybody loading the k31?

Oldschool280

Just ordered the bad ace tactical cantilever , no permanent mod scope mount and a set of hornady dies. Gonna throw a vx-2 on it that i have. I was originally going to sporterize it but with the discovery of these clamp on and bolt on type mounts i can leave it original. I chose the bad ace because it is centered over the bore and im a lefty, so the clamp on type wouldnt allow a good cheel weld for me. This is a 1/2 moa example in select grade condition i bought 10 years ago. I have some gp-11 ammo and a bunch of the grafs/ hornady softpoints but would like to make up some longer range ammo for hunting .Antelope, deer ,ect. Please share any info regarding loads for this wonderful rifle and cartidge. Whether heavy or light loads. Thanx

I have a few K-31s and I have scoped one with a clamp on St. Marie. I learned a long time ago when working with a new caliber rifle the first loads to use are the suggested accuracy loads from the Sierra manual. That is what I did with the 7.5x55 in the first K-31 I got. BINGO. Every suggested load from 125 gr up to 168 gr that I tried was spot on which uses IMR 4064. Only problem with these suggested loads is the COAL. The K-31 has a MUCH SHORTER throat area. My favorite match load is 45 grs IMR 4064, Federal 210M primer, Graf/Prvi case, 155 Nosler custom competition bullet, COAL 2.880 and this step is VERY important to best accuracy. Use a Lee Factory Crimp Die and put a medium crimp on the neck and bullet. I use a Lee FL die set and it loads accurate ammo. As a deer size game bullet the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip really does a great job if you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps. I have been shooting the 155 Hornady A-Max with the above load and it is accurate and I may give it a try on a deer this fall. Many say that the Berger 175 VLD is a good match for the GP 11 bullet. After a little tinkering with the amount of pressure of the forearm on the barrel at the front band and the tightness of the action screws the rifle preferred and on a couple rifles I re-crowned them with a brass round head bolt in a drill and valve grinding compound all my K-31s are real shooters. Some will equal high dollar custom built rifles. Not bad for old 70ish year old military rifles. :D

I have a few K-31s and I have scoped one with a clamp on St. Marie. I learned a long time ago when working with a new caliber rifle the first loads to use are the suggested accuracy loads from the Sierra manual. That is what I did with the 7.5x55 in the first K-31 I got. BINGO. Every suggested load from 125 gr up to 168 gr that I tried was spot on which uses IMR 4064. Only problem with these suggested loads is the COAL. The K-31 has a MUCH SHORTER throat area. My favorite match load is 45 grs IMR 4064, Federal 210M primer, Graf/Prvi case, 155 Nosler custom competition bullet, COAL 2.880 and this step is VERY important to best accuracy. Use a Lee Factory Crimp Die and put a medium crimp on the neck and bullet. I use a Lee FL die set and it loads accurate ammo. As a deer size game bullet the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip really does a great job if you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps. I have been shooting the 155 Hornady A-Max with the above load and it is accurate and I may give it a try on a deer this fall. Many say that the Berger 175 VLD is a good match for the GP 11 bullet. After a little tinkering with the amount of pressure of the forearm on the barrel at the front band and the tightness of the action screws the rifle preferred and on a couple rifles I re-crowned them with a brass round head bolt in a drill and valve grinding compound all my K-31s are real shooters. Some will equal high dollar custom built rifles. Not bad for old 70ish year old military rifles. :D

Thanx for your reply, ive never crimped any of my handloads, guess its time to start.
I was toying with the idea of putting an aftermarket stock on it to free float the whole barrel and protect the stock which is 95%. ( compared to others ive handled).
I love these old war horses, my sporterized m38 swede puts three sierra 140 gameking softpoints through the same hole at 100 regularly ! Hope the swiss does similar.

In this video Eric talks a bit about the handloads they're testing in one of his K31's...

They have several other videos on the K31, as well.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnucPC1zFVI[/ame]

In this video Eric talks a bit about the handloads they're testing in one of his K31's...

They have several other videos on the K31, as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnucPC1zFVI

Thanx , ive watched that video in the past and was greatful for the information. I wanted a bluegrass stock but they are apparently overwhelemed with their recent shop move . Maybe one day they will respond to an email.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.