Anybody from or knows about hunting near Meeker,CO?

huntinfool18

I'm going deer and elk hunting just outside of Meeker. just wondering if anybody knew of any good spots to go? I will be in areas 12,13,23 and 24.

I have not hunted those particular units.. But I would reccomend you call the DOW officer for that area and the Forrest Service people. They are normally happy to help you out.

I hunted for 4 years, 2001 - 2004, on private land in the Strawberry Creek area just north of Meeker. In 4 trips, all the first week of November, I took 3 bull elk and 3 Mule deer bucks. Nothing trophy class -- small 5x5 elk and medium 4x4 mulies. Wide open country where we hunted, no trees, just sage & scrub oak. Longest shot 464 yards, shortest 176 yards.

I have had 100% success up there and have taken 5 Elk so far. I won't tell you my favorite spots but I will tell you what has worked for me.
1. If you aren't seeing Elk change elevation.
2. Get away from the people. I never hunt closer than 3 miles to any road.
3. Hard work. Don't mean to lecture but the majority of the people I've taken with me can't cut it. They sleep in, won't hike up that next peak, and head back to camp before the sun is even going down.

I wouldn't waste your time anyomre. I have hunted there for 4 years now and had great results but lats year the oil field moved in and ruind alot of prime hunting ground.. really sucks

thanks for the info. I went scouting up there last weekend and saw some pretty good animals(320" bulls and 170" bucks)all on public land. but im sure that they well move by the 1st weekend of November. for sure if it snows by then. but all looks promising.

Huntinfool18, I have bowhunted just south of that area for approx. 25 yrs. Just like one of the previous post said, the oilfield activity was incredible last year. I'm really apprehensive about what I will find this year. We are going to our old spot but will remain more mobil. May have to move closer to Craig to sniff out a new spot.

Oil / Gas has taken over my "old spots" I heard that there is a sizable herd that like to graze near "sleepy cat ranch" in the 3rd season. I have not done any invertigation yet. -critter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.