Any recomendations for shelf ammo to start with?

A04Goat

Ok, So now that i've got my rife and everything else ordered, im going to be heading to the range very soon actually.

Rifle is a 700LR 7mm rem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good shelf ammo to start off with shooting for break in and getting used to the rifle? Someone in my beginning thread mentioned to start off with 150gr and work my way up.

Any thoughts on brand and weight?

I intend to shoot range and hunt with this rifle in the future. Next season.

Thanks!

Kyle

Determine your barrel's rifling twist rate. The faster the twist rate, the heavier bullets your rifle will shoot accurately. I've had great luck with Hornady and Black Hills.

I've always done very well with Nosler, Federal Premium, Hornady, and and Remington Premier for factory ammo.

HSM has been good to me as well.

The 150gr Swift Sirocco should run well in that rifle along with the 160gr Interlock and Accubonds.

170gr or higher is probably not going to stabilize well in it.

the 140 berger , accubond , and the 168 berger are the most accurate bullets in my 7mm. i have not shot factory ammo. i would try hsm first.

Thanks guys, i ordered 80 rounds today. 40 of some 150grn , cant remember brand. and 40 HSM Berger 168 deals,

i tried to order a box of 200 bullets, but seems they are all out of stock for reloading, i ordered the stuff my boss told me to get for his reloading rig so we could hand load my stuff.

see how it goes from their I guess.

I've always done very well with Nosler, Federal Premium, Hornady, and and Remington Premier for factory ammo.

HSM has been good to me as well.

The 150gr Swift Sirocco should run well in that rifle along with the 160gr Interlock and Accubonds.

170gr or higher is probably not going to stabilize well in it.

Can you explain this a little bit? I was tinkering around with Berger's Twist Calculator and maybe i used it wrong, but it seemed like the 180s were ok? Im probably using it wrong or something though.

AO4, the 168 Bergers are very accurate in my inlaw's model 700. Same twist as yours. They are hand loads, but the HSM is a very good factory ammo. See how they shoot and if you're not satisfied perhaps try some hand loads tuned to your rifle. Very few rifles like the same load as others have success with, but you never know until you try them. Good luck

AO4- you do not say what you are shooting at. i have only tried a few different bullets in my 3 7mm mags . all shoot the 140 accubond and the 168 berger real good.

Sorry, this is a dual purpose rifle, i will be hunting with it and shooting steel with it.

My guess is, probably more steel then game.

Can you explain this a little bit? I was tinkering around with Berger's Twist Calculator and maybe i used it wrong, but it seemed like the 180s were ok? Im probably using it wrong or something though.
You can check with Berger but at 7mm Rem velocities I'd think you probably need at least 1:9 if not 1:8.5 twist rate to stabilize the 180's. The 1:9.25 is going to be right on the edge.

AH. Thanks Rose. I think i'll see how the ones i have do. Im sure all of this will out shoot me for a very long time anyway. lol

Ditto try HSM or my favorite all purpose round the winchester combined tech bullets. They are the nosler BT. In many cases they are the most accurate in several of my rifles. One of the two always shoot well for me

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.