Antelope-good to eat?

Not bad eating...........
Try to get one before they start running for the day=they run for the fun of it!
Bonem right there=right now The faster you cool them the better and who in thier right mind whats to gut a goat! Use a guthook to open them up across the backbone and skin enough to remove the meat=Cut the meat off with a different knife!
I usually carry a couple of bottles of ice in my backpack to help cool the meat till I can get back to the cooler of ice in the truck.
Even then you can get a strong one that even the dog plugs her nose for but with care it aint often.

You have gotten some good advice. I've lived in Wy for 25 years and killed at least 1 every year except one. They make great sausage and jerky. Getting them cool fast is very important. The cleaner they are the better they taste. A couple of years ago I watched a couple of guys do the final cleanup on a goat they had killed that day. It was hung in the landowners barn. The hide was off. They were wiping out the inside of the body cavity with a mixture of vinegar and water. It was CLEAN when they got done. Then they put him a game bag. We have sometimes cut and wraped our goats the same day. We're very careful about hair and fat.
When I first came to WY a friend took me out to kill a couple of does. He always claimed that he liked to eat them better than deer. My son still feels the same way.
Most antelope hunts occur at the end of the rut. The bucks can be a bit smelly. 20 years ago I got on a private ranch to hunt. I saw 34 bucks before I shot one. He was just standing around feeding. When I walked up to him I could smell him from 15 feet away. I cleaned him and washed him out and got him home. Still smelled in the garage. Got the hide off and the smell dropped by 80%. CAREFULLY cut and wrapped and he wasn't too bad. Last year I saw a couple bucks so worn out by Oct. 7 that all they wanted to do was eat and sleep. Saw the same buck in the same bed 4 times over a 6 hour period. I think he was too tired from the rut to want to do much.
I like to wash my goats out as quickly as I can. I'll carry water for that purpose if the area I'm hunting doesn't have running water to do it with. Good luck. Bruce

:Dbest meat period. I have shot 4, my wife shot 1, I am going to Wyoming, CO, and New mexico to hopefully take # 5,6,&7 this year.

Some of the best game meat I've had. My wife won't eat deer but likes antelope. I followed previous advise and boned the meat in the field and put them in plastic bags. Then kept them as cool as possible before I could get them on ice. Worked for me.

Gordon

If you've ever had (domestic) goat it tastes a lot like that. I thought for years they were related. Turns out pronghorn's closest relative is the giraffe. Haven't had giraffe yet but if they taste like pronghorn their pretty **** good, better than deer.

Still haven't found a meat I like better than cow. Buffalo's close.

I wonder, if you kept some antelope in your back yard and fattened them up on corn and steroids, how would they taste?

Want some? N:DM, N:)M, N:rolleyes:M !!!

PA170485.jpg

Oh yeah! Forgot to mention antelope when shot with a large caliber taste like butt.:D

**** I got 4 doe tags and was hoping two would line up so I could see if they'd stop my .458 Lott. I'll take my .338 Edge and maybe my 7-300wm to stretch things out too. You have to spread the wealth between the rifles.

I've never had a antelope that I would call good and most were pretty rank. Several of them my dog wouldn't even eat. I will take others advise here and give it a go one more time.

After hunting in goats western Wyoming for years, I have made it a point on the trip to shoot them out of crop fields. More often then not, it's alfalfa. The meat typically taste better than chasing them on the wide open sage. I think because of diet and because than animal seems more relaxed. The property owners are usually more than happy to let you take goats and the owner tag for like $16 per goat from the state. Five guys, ten tags, one land owner with less crop damage and $160+ free money in their pocket. They will welcome you to hunt. I have began to shoot for the head and neck in the last couple years. I was damaging too much meat and tainting it at times. If the animal is DRT, in a crop field and you can take good care of it asap. You will have some fine eating. It you drive around sage covered state/fed land, stop the truck and blast from the ditch. You won't have near the table quality, I promise!

Feenix-- those look great, I BBCUE Antelope all the time, Rare to med rare, Its simply the finest meat there is. Its amazing to me how many dont like it or thinks its bad. Feed, area of hunt, time of day, shoot when they are quiet and relaxed, scout ahead to know your prey, cool them fast, keep em clean and eat em' FINE! None Better.

Feenix-- those look great, I BBCUE Antelope all the time, Rare to med rare, Its simply the finest meat there is. Its amazing to me how many dont like it or thinks its bad. Feed, area of hunt, time of day, shoot when they are quiet and relaxed, scout ahead to know your prey, cool them fast, keep em clean and eat em' FINE! None Better.

Yep, where I hunt them, they feed on alfalfa and wheat. Most of my harvests makes it to the game processing plant by 1100.

I've hunted AZ, NM, and part of MT where they feed on nothing but sage brush/grass and you can tell the difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.