Antelope-good to eat?

One other thing, and I apologize if it has already been discussed. There are glands in the shoulders and quarters. You need to remove and discard these glands while rolling the roasts from the bones. If you do not, or grind them up I doubt you wil like antelope.

Jeff

**** I got 4 doe tags and was hoping two would line up so I could see if they'd stop my .458 Lott. I'll take my .338 Edge and maybe my 7-300wm to stretch things out too. You have to spread the wealth between the rifles.

I've never had a antelope that I would call good and most were pretty rank. Several of them my dog wouldn't even eat. I will take others advise here and give it a go one more time.

See what I mean? Use a .22 lr they'll taste better.:D

TikaMike , you could be right. Our process is to cool them asap. We shoot two and return to camp to dress them out. We now simply 1/4 them or bone them while hanging within a short time after shooting them. The first time I realized how good eating they were was on a hot day. We shot one, field dressed it and took it to a near by bridge with a stream running clear cold water. We lowered it into the running water to flush it out and cool it with the cold water. Then we placed it on the rocks under the bridge in the shade while we went and shot another. When we returned to do this with number 2, we noticed the evaporating water from the hide of goat number 1 had made it feel iced down cold, so we repeated this process all weekend before quartering them. These were the best eating goats I had ever tasted at this time. This was when I realized how important cooling them out quickly was. It was years ago so we have changed up the program since. We usually take many goats, 6 or so in Wy and about that many here in Mt. between my wife , son and myself. Now we have found it easiest to bebone on the spot and put the meat on ice, or take directly back to camp to skin and debone or quarter so we can get them on ice ASAP. So getting the hide off is just part of our cooling out process. If you can get it cooled with hide on it might be fine depending on how you handle it from there. But if you flop it on the old flatbed like so many you see, and bounce it around for the next 4 hours in the sun while lookig for another the results are most likely going to be " these goats taste like crap" :)

Jeff

TikaMike , you could be right. Our process is to cool them asap. We shoot two and return to camp to dress them out. We now simply 1/4 them or bone them while hanging within a short time after shooting them. The first time I realized how good eating they were was on a hot day. We shot one, field dressed it and took it to a near by bridge with a stream running clear cold water. We lowered it into the running water to flush it out and cool it with the cold water. Then we placed it on the rocks under the bridge in the shade while we went and shot another. When we returned to do this with number 2, we noticed the evaporating water from the hide of goat number 1 had made it feel iced down cold, so we repeated this process all weekend before quartering them. These were the best eating goats I had ever tasted at this time. This was when I realized how important cooling them out quickly was. It was years ago so we have changed up the program since. We usually take many goats, 6 or so in Wy and about that many here in Mt. between my wife , son and myself. Now we have found it easiest to bebone on the spot and put the meat on ice, or take directly back to camp to skin and debone or quarter so we can get them on ice ASAP. So getting the hide off is just part of our cooling out process. If you can get it cooled with hide on it might be fine depending on how you handle it from there. But if you flop it on the old flatbed like so many you see, and bounce it around for the next 4 hours in the sun while lookig for another the results are most likely going to be " these goats taste like crap" :)

Jeff

HAHA yeah I can agree with that Flopping them on the flat bed thing. I am going to try your process on a couple this year and let you know if I can tell a difference. It is already so good I dont see room for improvement. But I am open to trying a new process.

Taking any game meat to a butcher is a pretty good way to ensure it tastes like ***.

Skin it where it lays, pop the quarters off, backstrap and loin, flip and do the other side. Set the quarters aside and let them skin over for about 5 minutes, then remove any hair with a lint roller. Bag it up and toss it in a cooler with ice. Add ice and drain as needed for a week. Then separate every muscle and cut into steaks or burger it. It's the mildest game meat I've ever had.

Great eating. Like Broz and others said get it skinned, washed, and chilled quickly. Try not to run 'em. Most everyone that says that antelope is strong generally don't use food judgement after the shot. Have it chicken fried, bbq, deep fried, just like venison. Happy Eating!

My self and three other friends went out to Wyoming last year for Antelope, and a couple of the local boys helped out with the hunt in more ways than I could thank them. First, they told us how to take care of the meat. After the kill, gut the carcass, drag it back to the truck, and skin it. Right after skinning we would put the carcass in a BIG cooler and put a bunch of frozen water (mainly gatorade bottles) bottles in and around the carcass. Withing 30 minutes the meat would be cool to the touch, in the evening we would quarter the carcass and freeze it.

After my wife tried the meat, she gave me permission go hunt Antelope the following season, but she did say I need to harvest my whole limit and not just bring home 2 antelope. We use the meat just like we use beef or venison. There is nothing wrong with the taste of Antelope. Just get yourself a really good laser rangefinder and an accurate rifle.

THE BEST , BUT YOU GOTTA GETTER COOLED DOWN FAST. WE HUNG IT FOR 2 DAYS OUTSIDE IN THE COLD OF THE FALL SEASON AND WHEN WE WENT TO BUTCHERING, IT WENT RIGHT IN THE FRYING PAN . I DON'T THINK MUCH MADE IT TO THE FREEZER THAT YEAR. CUT INTO SMALL PIECES 2" X 3" AND 3/4 THICK DAB IN A LITTLE FLOUR ADD SOME SALT & PEPPER AND COOK IN EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL UNTIL PINK IN THE MIDDLE.

GOT LUCKY,,,, SOMETIMES IT'S NOT EASY TO GET COOL FAST. WE HARVESTED ON A COLD DAY AND BY THE TIME THE 2 HR DRIVE HOME WAS FINISHED HE WAS JUST ABOUT FROZEN.gun)

Would a 6br, 22-250 or 25-06 be good for taking Antelope? If so, any bullet recommendations for any of them?

My wife shooter hers with a 6br every year loaded with a 107 SMK. We limit the range for perfect placement for her to 500 but I have takena few at 650.

Put it in the crease behind the front shoulder and they will be done where they stand or within 50 yards.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.