another Which 6.5 and what caliber bullet for Hunting/ shooting paper?

Oh ok, I thought you were getting 3200 or so with the 147. My mistake

No Biggie:DWith a 26" barrel the 147's will reach over 3200'. I have reached 3150' with a 160 and RL33.
The 260 A.I. is a darn impressive round in its own rite though! More proof the 40 degree shoulder and low taper with a short body WORKS!

I'm partial to my .260 AI. I use lapua brass, and with RL26 I'm sending the 147 ELD-M at 3090 fps, and I have verified this by trajectory out to 1233 yards. Granted I'm running a 30" barrel...but 3090 fps with a 147 is close to SAUM or 6.5 Sherman performance, and I'm using 50.2 grains, talk about efficiency. I have reloaded this load 3 times on brass that was previously fired 4 times, and primer pockets are still tight.
RL26 is a great powder for an increase in speed with a lot of the overbore cartidges.
So if you want to stay with a short action, even the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creed are capable of velocities between 2900 and 3000 fps with RL26. I have gotten up to 3045 fps out of my 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" barrel with 143 ELD-X bullets. The load I am working on is 48 gr of RL26 it gives me 2999 Average FPS and ES 12
Still have lots of work to do.

Attachments

• 20170419_115241.jpg
    20170419_115241.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 40
RL26 is a great powder for an increase in speed with a lot of the overbore cartidges.
So if you want to stay with a short action, even the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creed are capable of velocities between 2900 and 3000 fps with RL26. I have gotten up to 3045 fps out of my 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" barrel with 143 ELD-X bullets. The load I am working on is 48 gr of RL26 it gives me 2999 Average FPS and ES 12
Still have lots of work to do.

I have been very intrigued with the velocities reported with R26. The only aspect that has deterred me from trying it are the reports of erratic temperature stability with R26, a show stopper for my varied hunting environments. Have you had any experience, or done any testing with this?

I have been very intrigued with the velocities reported with R26. The only aspect that has deterred me from trying it are the reports of erratic temperature stability with R26, a show stopper for my varied hunting environments. Have you had any experience, or done any testing with this?

Have not had a chance to test out Temp. Sensitivity yet, I have read it is different in different Cartridges, so I will test it out this summer and see what the swings are.

It has been remarkably stable in the Sherman cartridges.......Rich

I've been reading all the posts I can here on 6.5's and it's been a real eye opener for sure. The more I read the more confused I am.

I'm looking for a gun for my Wife and it looks like one of the 6.5's would be the ticket.
It will be mostly a range gun but I'd like to see it used on Muleys too. I see many like the 6.5 CM but most of these 6.5's are all around the 2700 fps range with 140 gr bullets. Are all of them SA guns?

When I looked at all the load data on the Hodgdon site there really isn't much difference between them until you go to the 6.5 Rem Magnum and 264 Win Mag.

I was looking at the 6.5 Sherman but I think it may be more recoil wise than the Wife would like.

For a reloader does one of the 6.5''s have a overall better efficiency?

How does someone decide on which 6.5 is the right one? Would the 129 Accubond be a good bullet for the 6.5?

First off..How fare do you want to reach out?
Do you want to use it on Elk or Moose as well?

Then you need to pick a bullet, if shooting out to 1,000 yards on game or paper then you need the 6.5X284 and Berger 140VLD hunting..
My wife has got her Elk out to 986 yards with one shot (cow) Deer out to 792Y and I got my Moose at 662 yards..
Some bullets do not mushroom below 1700 to 1800FPS but Berger's in a 6.5X284 will out to a mile..
Make sure you get one with a 26" barrow or longer..
If you need a good starting point let me know..
Good Luck..

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.