Another type of varmint

I was heading out to feed the cows and ran into this guy, when he noticed me he stood up on his hind legs and gave me his best come at me bro pose, he should have been armed with something besides claws.

I head issues with chickens turning up missing, feed bin lids pulled askew, kittens missing, it had to be this guy. I am guessing our neighbors brought him up from Mexico as a pet and when they left he went feral.

First time I had ever seen anything like it.
Did it live through the encounter?

Southern Arizona has a good population. I've seen a pack of 20 of them coming down a slope flipping heavy rocks over looking for whatever lives there.
My late friend told me they will destroy chicken coops, dogs or whatever comes in contact. About the size of raccoons in height and weight. They are rather noisy and don't care. They'll eat regardless.

I've seen them several time when bow hunting for deer in AZ. Didn't realize they were that much trouble. I have seen them in singles and groups. If I am down there again. I will start dropping them on site. They got to be hell on other animals, and birds too.

The chula that I shot that's on the tailgate is not the male that tore up our dog Peggy. That was a female that I shot while it was raiding the cat food by the trucks( we would feed the cats near the trucks so they'ed keep the pack rats out). The male that fought Peggy was considerably bigger. They say that the male can grow twice the size of the females.

I've seen them several time when bow hunting for deer in AZ. Didn't realize they were that much trouble. I have seen them in singles and groups. If I am down there again. I will start dropping them on site. They got to be hell on other animals, and birds too.
There is a generous season from Sept to March, except one is more limited in the Leslie canyon hunt. For that you must be hunting deer or javelina and it's a bit shortened season because of the deer and javelina seasons.

I hunted mostly along the southern border at that time. I haven't in several years now. I would spend a few weeks in late Dec, and Jan each year. Hunt dove and quail. Then bow hunt deer in the Jan season along the south side of AZ.
AZ kind of changed their tag system some. I used to get a hunting lic, and archery deer tag every year. Appy for points in several big game. Stop that a few years ago. Never applied for draw tag. Left something like 12 to 15 points behind.
Can't use a trail cam near a watering hole anymore. So that really cut into it also. Where I hunted there was much in the way of other hunters there either. So I know it wasn't causing much problems either. I would watch to see how many other were hunting the area. I would leave and go somewhere else. I could have taken smaller bucks, but didn't.

I hunted mostly along the southern border at that time. I haven't in several years now. I would spend a few weeks in late Dec, and Jan each year. Hunt dove and quail. Then bow hunt deer in the Jan season along the south side of AZ.
AZ kind of changed their tag system some. I used to get a hunting lic, and archery deer tag every year. Appy for points in several big game. Stop that a few years ago. Never applied for draw tag. Left something like 12 to 15 points behind.
Can't use a trail cam near a watering hole anymore. So that really cut into it also. Where I hunted there was much in the way of other hunters there either. So I know it wasn't causing much problems either. I would watch to see how many other were hunting the area. I would leave and go somewhere else. I could have taken smaller bucks, but didn't.
These were in the Canelos around mile marker 10.

On the San Pedro River at the ranch we had problems with an abundance of chulas(coatimundes). They are much bigger and worse than racoons. They would go for the chickens and cattle and horse feed. Chulas are really bad around dogs. They enter into a fight willingly and will tear a dog apart. One of our cow dogs got into a fight with a large male chula and though I managed to shoot the critter, by that time Peggy was pretty torn up. When the vet came over she spent more than four hours stitching that dog back together. Lion hunters hate when their pack mobs a chula, they'll kill it, but will be pretty torn up in the process.
CHUPACABRA!

On the San Pedro River at the ranch we had problems with an abundance of chulas(coatimundes). They are much bigger and worse than racoons. They would go for the chickens and cattle and horse feed. Chulas are really bad around dogs. They enter into a fight willingly and will tear a dog apart. One of our cow dogs got into a fight with a large male chula and though I managed to shoot the critter, by that time Peggy was pretty torn up. When the vet came over she spent more than four hours stitching that dog back together. Lion hunters hate when their pack mobs a chula, they'll kill it, but will be pretty torn up in the process.
What area of the San Pedro are you at? I'm in Sierra Vista and maybe we should get together and talk about some varmint hunting buddies and places to go if your interested! 520-678-0041 Thanks Al