Another neck sizing /bushing die question

BTnerd

I have a Redding type s full length bushing die for 243AI. It sizes the body, bumps the shoulder but stops about .090 of sizing the whole neck. The bushing is seated all the way down firmly. Should it not size the entire neck? There is a diagram in the other "neck sizing thread" showing using a washer to keep from sizing the entire neck. What if I do want to size the entire neck? shouldn't I be able to?

I have a Redding type s full length bushing die for 243AI. It sizes the body, bumps the shoulder but stops about .090 of sizing the whole neck. The bushing is seated all the way down firmly. Should it not size the entire neck? There is a diagram in the other "neck sizing thread" showing using a washer to keep from sizing the entire neck. What if I do want to size the entire neck? shouldn't I be able to?

Do you have the die set all the way down so it cams over on the shellholder?

Are you using a Redding shellholder?

I have seen this before and yes they do stop a little short of sizing th entire neck but not usually .090". In a conversation with Robin at Redding about their bushing dies,he told me to set the dies up for a slight cam over where the die and shellholder contact each other. Works for me.

Jeff

I don't have one so am just curious: is the adjustment for the bushing to regulate how far down the neck it sizes a separate adjustment from the adjustment of the die to regulate how much it is pushing the shoulder back?

If not then you would be stuck with the NECESSARY adjustment to push the shoulder only .001" or so.

The only bushing die I have (338RUM, no Lee Collet) is adjustable for neck travel and I choose to partial neck size.

The washer I use to partial neck size with the Lee Collets is .10" thick, if anyone cares.

Broz, I am not using a Redding shell holder, It is however set to cam over slightly, I believe the case is going in full depth because I'm getting a slight shoulder bump showing when I sharpie the case. A full .090 of the neck is unsized, which is just about 1/3 of the already short .243AI neck. Looking at the Redding cut away pic of this type die It looks like I should get almost if not complete sizing of the neck. As I check further Sinclair had also sent me a 300 h&h seater in the 243AI box so I won't be shooting tomorrow anyway :(

Woods, I'd be happy if I came within .010, but I'd like the option of sizing more than 66% of the length. The .243 has a short neck to begin with...

Broz, I am not using a Redding shell holder, It is however set to cam over slightly, I believe the case is going in full depth because I'm getting a slight shoulder bump showing when I sharpie the case. A full .090 of the neck is unsized, which is just about 1/3 of the already short .243AI neck. Looking at the Redding cut away pic of this type die It looks like I should get almost if not complete sizing of the neck. As I check further Sinclair had also sent me a 300 h&h seater in the 243AI box so I won't be shooting tomorrow anyway :(

I would call Redding and talk to them. If you are lucky enough to get Robin on the phone , I feel your time talking will be well spent. The time he took with me a few years ago when I started using their bushing dies helped me a ton.

Also if the die body was not bored deep enough forsome reason or other, they will send yoy parts pronto. Great people to work with.

Jeff

Thanks Broz, I contacted Redding and sent them the die. Chris at Redding said the bushing pocket was .010" to shallow. He said typically you should be able to size up to 90% of the neck length. My new die sizes about 60% of the length, which Redding says is, "within specs". I'll have to load some up and see how they do.

I have that same die (.243AI by Redding), and have shortened it about .125" to use with my 6/250AI barrel. I find that it's all over the place, but stops sizing the neck about .03" from the shoulder. Not faulting Redding themselves, but I think the die is having todo too many things at the sametime. I've also noticed concentricity problems as well. Later on I replaced this die with a 22-250AI bump die and a Wilson neck sizer. But a little while after I bought the .243 die, Redding came out with a 22-250AI bushing die, and I'm almost scared to buy one!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.