Another Idaho Whitetail bites the dust with a 338 Edge

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
JR07DEERWEB.JPG

Well it has been a pretty good year for Whitetails this year here in north Idaho. My hunting buddy Jr. and I headed out a little early from work on Friday as Saturday was the last day of general late buck season. While I was hoping to see a good whitetail buck for Jr. to shoot I was really intent on shooting some video footage on shooter / spotter communication for my how to LRH video. We drove to one of our deer & elk spots close to town 35-40 minutes and hiked from the truck about a mile or so when Jr. spotted a doe bedded down beside a tree across the canyon. Several seconds later Jr. spotted the back half of another deer above the doe. Through our binoculars neither one of us could see horns, but the body was stocky and had all of the signs of a mature buck. I broke out the Manfroto tripod, Leupold HD spotting scope and watched the deer until I saw a good flash of horn. Jr. started looking for a spot to get setup for a shot in case the deer was in fact a mature buck. I got a good look at the buck and gave it a mid 140's and 20" wide estimate, easily within shooting standards. Jr. was however having an impossible time getting anything that resembled a suitable shooting position. Several minutes later while Jr. kept eyes on the buck I moved further down the canyon in hopes of finding a good shooting location. I located a spot that was better but not great the distance was 556 yards. I set up the spotting scope camera and went eyes on while Jr. moved down to my location. Jr. was just getting setup beside me when the buck charges the doe and the two of them head up and to the right of their bedding area and out of our view. After a bunch of @#&@*@^ :mad: I moved again further down the canyon to locate a spot where we could get a shot. I locate a really good spot and setup. Jr. again relocates while I watch the buck. Our distance is now 618 yards 10 degrees downhill. Jr. gets settled in we confirm distance and dope and I tell him to send it. The 338 Edge booms from my left side and ½ a second later I watch the 300 gr SMK strike the buck about 4-5 inches up from the bottom of the chest right in the crease behind the front shoulder. It looks like a heart shot and I call it as such. The buck kicks and bolts up the hill about 50 feet then tumbles and staggers down into an old skid road piling up about 40 yards from the site of impact. We watch the buck for a minute and I congratulate Jr. on a fine shot. It has now been almost 40 minutes since Jr. spotted the doe and buck. By the time we get over to the buck it is almost an hour after dark and it is cold 13 degrees or so. We take some photos and a short video clip (after warming the camera up). The 300 SMK hit exactly where I had called it clipping the bottom of the heart. Penetration and exit wounds were substantial leaving no doubt of the great terminal performance. This was Jr's first long range buck and I was glad to witness it as well as get it on film.

Shawn:

Tell Jr. congratulations on a great whitetail buck, and his first long range buck.;) Very symmetrical and even rack. Everything about him is very nice. Northern Idaho is turning out some great whitetails. I'd imagine he was getting a little excited after the moves but when it counted he made the shot. Congrats again Jr.;)

Looking forward to your video. Looks like it's gonna have some pretty good stuff in it.:) Let us know when it's ready.

No need to say much about the edge or the gun. A done deal every time here lately.

Congratulations on the nice "WhiteHawg". That's some fine team hunting, spotting and shooting. How fast that SMK zipping along? JohnnyK.

Congrats to Jr. That is a hell of a buck for sure. At first glance at the pic, I would have guessed him a bit bigger then 140. Great spread, good height and great dark color antlers!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

JonnyK,

The 300 SMK leaves the muzzle at 2836 fps.

50 ,

I did not have a chance to put a tape to it. It is probably bigger than 140 but I like to be conservative to eliminate ground shrinkage. The conversation when alot like this: How big is it? We gotta kill him!!

Good shooting, I would have to guess that guy at over 140"!!! good lookin buck no matter what he scores. i want a copy of that video when it comes out!!!

congrats
steve

That bucks a beaut!
Good shootin'
Presently hunting with a 338 RUM, posts like these have me thinking about an edge.
Also like the part where ya hiked back in a mile from the truck.
Thanks for a great post.
Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts