Another DA question from a beginner

summitsitter

Will the bullet and load that shoots the best at 100yards be the load that shoots the best in you gun at say 500 yds.

And if your gun is capable of shooting sub MOA at 100 then is it capable of shooting Sub at 500 of more?

Thanks

Yes and NO

For the first question, Just because a bullet groups well at a 100 dose not mean it is the best load. I have seen great groups shot with high extreme spreads in velocity. This show up when you extend the range. I have given up on shooting load development at 100yards. If you can shoot at 300yrds for better analysis.

When Loading shooting over a Chrongraph is the best..Find a load with Low or single digit extreme spread that groups well and your on your way.

For the sub moa questions...In a vacum yes, a bullet will fly in a linear path and a Sub MOA at 100 will stay sub MOA at 500. Like they say in economics in a Prefect World.

Willys

Yes!

Some may disagree, but I find it much more helpfull to shoot at 300 yard for load development. Especially when were talking guns that reqularly shoot .5moa. When you get to a longer ranges the REALY good load will show it's self.

I would imagine some around here actually test loads at 300 yards +.

Yes! I eventually feel I'm wasting my time shooting at 100 yards. I prefer 300 yards also for load development.
I only shoot at 25 (one shot) when mounting a scope without bore-sighting, then another shot at 100 yards to make a few ajustments and after that I go to play at 300 yards. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.