A good beginner scope

bigben

I was looking for a scope to put on m .223 tikka and found this scope http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0018873711937a&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=cat20760&podId=0018873&catalogCode=IE&parentId=cat20760& parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jht is this a good beginner scope. I have shot tasco before and never had ny problem with them. But never shot anything long range with them. I did like the low price compared to oter scopes wit the same amount of features also If I did buy tis scope how would the moa adjustments on the scope work. Any thoughts are appreciated.

oh boy, I have used cheap scopes before and my personal expereince is: bad. You asked for input and I would say: No Go On The Tasco... it is just my opinion. Someone else may say yeah, great scope. All I know is I have a simmons in something like 32X variable that I cannot get rid of, and a cheapo Bushnell Spotting scope I can't get rid of. Both are cheap.

I suggest you go to a pro bass shop or somewhere you can look through as many scopes as you can at things way way way across the store. AND go to the range and ask other shooters if you can look down the scopes they have on their rifles... that is best actually to see targets and objects OUTSIDE. But my personal experience has been I have been really disappointed in very low end scopes. Save your money, buy a USED scope from someone on extremeaccuracy.com or some other shooting forum...I just picked up a Nikon Monarch it is 6x-20x magnification with a 44MM lens... it provides tremendous clarity and is tens times better than a cheapo scope. It retails for around $450.... I got it slightly used but in perfect shape for under $300 and it is so so so much better than anything you could get new for $80 to $160... when I look through those scopes it is like looking through FOG when you are trying to really see an object at over 100 yards... that is the key, to take the scope outside and really try to see something at over 100 yards. Cheap scopes are stinky. All in my humble opinion. And I could be wrong... it would not be the first time. It depends on your eye. Some can discern differences and some people say, "they are all the same". It is like how some guys rate women. Some say they are all the same. Others say, I see them all differently. Very.

[ 11-24-2004: Message edited by: Yogi ]

[ 11-24-2004: Message edited by: Yogi ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.