Beginner Help

Perroe

Hello All,
I am new here and new to hunting out west. I am looking for help on scope recommendations for the hunting I envision doing. I live in NM and mostly hunt elk and mule deer. Due to the terrain the ability to take far shots is available but I cannot see myself taking shots over 500 yds (at least for now). I have narrowed down the rifle choice to a Bergara B-14 Ridge chambered in 300 win mag. I would like to go with a vortex scope as I have their binos and I am very impressed by them. The scope I have been looking at is the Viper HS LR. I will be practicing a lot with this rig, but do not plan on ever competitively shooting. I also plan to keep this rig for the rest of my life. I usually purchase something once, get exactly what I want, and usually keep it forever. I have done some research on MOA and MRAD and BDC reticle but am still kind of confused about what would fit me the best. I am leaning towards an MOA reticle with a 4-16 power as it will give me room to grow in the future if I get into long range shooting more. Would BDC be the better choice for a beginner? Any help, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

My favorite Vortex (budget friendly-ish) is easily the Viper Gen 2 PST 3-15x44. The only downside with it vs the HS LR is it's a couple hundred bucks more expensive, and maybe 7-8 oz heavier. It's also first focal plain compared to the second focal plane HS LR ... I'll only buy FFP but that's a personal choice. I also love the EBR-2C reticle on the PST, you get the BDC for easy holdovers but you can always choose to dial your dope if that's what you prefer. BDC reticles have a lot of practical use once you learn them and could possibly make the difference in getting a shot off in time before your game walks out of view vs dialing in the dope.

EDIT: when i say BDC I mean MOA / MIL hashed "Christmas tree" style reticles. Not the type of BDC that is claimed to match certain ammo / velocities like a lot of the Primary Arms reticles ... nothing inherently wrong with those but I'm not a fan personally.

Last edited:
SteelBanger has a lot of good points. I've been dialing elevation for longer distance and using hash marks on the horizontal line for wind holds. Generally it seems to me the moa marks on the horizontal line are clearer to understand but the newer reticles in milr are getting clear to understand too.

I zero my hunting rifle at 100 yards and then dial elevation to 200 yds while I'm hunting. Then I'll just take a shot from zero to 280 yds.

I've been using a SFP scope for hunting so I have to make sure I set the magnification ring to the correct setting if I'm going to use the hash marks. If the calibrated power setting is too much magnification you can set the magnification ring to 1/2 the mag power setting and use the hash marks as being worth twice the amount.

For an all around rifle like you are suggesting, something with a 5X zoom is a great luxury to have. The 3-15 or 5-25 PST Gen II would be a great choice, though as mentioned, they are on the heavy side, and a bit more expensive. I have the 5-25, and it's extremely well built and has good glass.

IMO, first focal plane (FFP) scopes are outstanding for hunting IF they have an illuminated reticle (PST does). Not having to worry about your zoom level to use the hold overs is great, especially when you're buck fevered, but at low magnification for "close up work", the reticle will all but disappear. This is not a problem if you have illumination, as it becomes a nice bright "red dot", which is REALLY fast using both-eyes-open shooting. Illumination can also be an advantage at first and last light. It really helped me out on a whitetail buck this year at 5 minutes before legal light ran out.

If you do choose the PST Gen II be aware that they changed from the EBR-2C to EBR-7C reticle, and there's some of the 2C's still out there in retail space. I prefer the 7C. It has a center dot style, with a very fine aiming point, and a few other minor changes.

Thanks for the responses fellas. The SFP vs FFP was also something I researched and was not sure how much it mattered. I like the idea of not having to worry about setting the scope to the correct power to be able to use the hash marks. IS there a significant difference between the Gen II and Gen I as I see a lot of Gen I for sale very cheap, in the 300-400 range.

On another note anyone have any experience with the Viper HST 4-16, I was also looking at this one.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses fellas. The SFP vs FFP was also something I researched and was not sure how much it mattered. I like the idea of not having to worry about setting the scope to the correct power to be able to use the hash marks. IS there a significant difference between the Gen II and Gen I as I see a lot of Gen I for sale very cheap, in the 300-400 range.

On another note anyone have any experience with the Viper HST 4-16, I was also looking at this one.
I have both the gen 1 and gen 2 and optically i'm not sure I could tell them apart, but I've never really tried to do a true comparison. I do like having the illumination knob integrated with the paralax knob but that's certainly not a deal breaker. If you can get a great deal on agen 1 then I'd call it a win / win. I don't have any experience with the HST.

If you do choose the PST Gen II be aware that they changed from the EBR-2C to EBR-7C reticle, and there's some of the 2C's still out there in retail space. I prefer the 7C. It has a center dot style, with a very fine aiming point, and a few other minor changes.
This is a good point and definitely something to pay attention to since they are so similar. I didn't pay attention when I bought my Gen 2 and got the reticle where only the horizontal and vertical lines are illuminated and not the entire Christmas Tree like my Gen 1 model. It's not a huge deal but I do wish I had the fully illuminated reticle.

...IS there a significant difference between the Gen II and Gen I as I see a lot of Gen I for sale very cheap, in the 300-400 range.

The Gen II is 5X zoom and the Gen I is 4X zoom. I believe PST Gen 1 has a significantly different stop, less total travel for elevation (more for windage), and less travel per rotation. It is also lighter by about 4 oz.

I have the HST 4-16, and it's a good scope for the money, but it's not in the same class as the Gen II PST for optical quality in my opinion.

MIL or MOA. All preference. Personally I like MIL and increments of 10.

On a long range rig, FFP imo.

What's your scope budget? Between Gen I and II, I would personally go with a Gen II. I'd personally go as nice as your willing to spend in the scope department once you settle on a focal plane and reticle style.

What part of NM. If your in the ABQ area shoot me a PM if your interested in stretching out the new rig at Zia if you want any help.

I want to keep the total budget around 1200. Bergara B-14 Ridge I have seen for around 7-800. So that leaves around 4-500 for the scope.

I am right outside ABQ in the East Mountains, but work down in town. I will PM you, I could use all the help I can get.

I am right outside ABQ in the East Mountains, but work down in town. I will PM you, I could use all the help I can get.

I am as well.

400-500, I'd start watching the classifieds. With that budget I'd stick to a 3x12 of 4x16. You don't need the extra power for what you are trying to do. I generally shoot on 12-14 power out to 1000 anyways. Easier to spot your own shots.

Hello All,
I am new here and new to hunting out west. I am looking for help on scope recommendations for the hunting I envision doing. I live in NM and mostly hunt elk and mule deer. Due to the terrain the ability to take far shots is available but I cannot see myself taking shots over 500 yds (at least for now). I have narrowed down the rifle choice to a Bergara B-14 Ridge chambered in 300 win mag. I would like to go with a vortex scope as I have their binos and I am very impressed by them. The scope I have been looking at is the Viper HS LR. I will be practicing a lot with this rig, but do not plan on ever competitively shooting. I also plan to keep this rig for the rest of my life. I usually purchase something once, get exactly what I want, and usually keep it forever. I have done some research on MOA and MRAD and BDC reticle but am still kind of confused about what would fit me the best. I am leaning towards an MOA reticle with a 4-16 power as it will give me room to grow in the future if I get into long range shooting more. Would BDC be the better choice for a beginner? Any help, advice, etc. is greatly appreciated.

I use that vortex scope shoot out to 700 yards no problem with 7mm scope is only 22 ounces for a lot of western hunting just get the turret cut for your hunting load

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts