Annie Annealer

RG300WSM

Bought this thing so my brass could look like lapua but it doesn't.... hahaha jk it works awesome definitely can tell a huge difference with my neck tension when I'm seating my bullets. Out of curiosity though why does lapua brass get the discoloration from annealing from the factory?
20230418_165215.jpg

Last edited:
All bottle neck brass is annealed. Ya annealer multiple times actually during the manufacturing process. It has to be in order to form properly without cracking or splitting. It gets a final induction annealer before the final sizing to form the neck and shoulder.

Most manufacturers used to polish the brass after all the annealing and sizing to make them look really nice.

It's since become increasingly popular to not polish the brass after the final anneal so that the discoloration remains. People have come to like seeing that. Military spec brass requires it to be there. I think that's how the trend started with commercial brass.

Either way, some people have gotten the wrong idea thet not all brass is annealed and that only those with the discoloration are actually annealed. That's completely false. All of it is, rest assured. Lapua and many of the other top tier commercial brass manufacturers do not polish the discoloration off and others like Hornady, Nosler, etc polish their brass to remove it. That's it.

The discoloration is mostly from contaminated/residue on the brass itself causing a reaction under heat. Completely clean/raw brass will barely discolor at all.

Petey308 ok that makes more sense then. I pull the primers and wet tumble my brass before I anneal and size it. I've been nervous I've been doing something wrong but the temp paint stuff was burning like it was supposed to when i put it on the neck and shoulder just nothing was changing color haha.

Petey308 ok that makes more sense then. I pull the primers and wet tumble my brass before I anneal and size it. I've been nervous I've been doing something wrong but the temp paint stuff was burning like it was supposed to when i put it on the neck and shoulder just nothing was changing color haha.
I like shiny brass so I always anneal, resize, and then wet tumble.

Bought this thing so my brass could look like lapua but it doesn't.... hahaha jk it works awesome definitely can tell a huge difference with my neck tension when I'm seating my bullets. Out of curiosity though why does lapua brass get the discoloration from annealing from the factory?View attachment 457354
I like my annie annealer also! Mine is older but works great!
Was going to go with a flame annealer but the consistency with adjusting the gas can be interesting. Also, looked into a salt bath but my clumsy butt would probably burn myself with the hot salt. IMO, induction heating is the only way!

Bought this thing so my brass could look like lapua but it doesn't.... hahaha jk it works awesome definitely can tell a huge difference with my neck tension when I'm seating my bullets. Out of curiosity though why does lapua brass get the discoloration from annealing from the factory?View attachment 457354
Sometimes the "Color" comes from impurities/chemicals on the surface of the brass. The heat accents the color. We have an AMP and can take wet ss tumbled cleaned dry Lapua Brass and anneal. They don't come out the same way as from the factory. In fact very little color. If you do a search on LRH you will find other articles on Brass Color from Annealing. Als get info off the internet. This is :Induction" Annealing.
Now some the "Flame: anneal may get more color due to longer/higher heat.
You should also check the Induction and Time that you anneal with Annie.

At 600.00 it's less than an AMP but still no litmus test to make sure cases are properly annealed.
That has been my concern with every machine on the market.
Doesn't the AMP have the anneal color?
Len like you mention I will research it

Well I might have spoke to soon, the annie just quit working. I've done probably 3-400 cases since I bought it and now it just trips whenever I hit start.....

Recent Posts