Annealing question

No need to try and hold a case. I used a zip tie on my drill to keep a consistent speed and have a piece of stainless rod parallel to the torch flame to keep consistent distance. Being on a tight budget doesn't means you have to be sloppy. Amazing what you can do with odds and ends laying around. Experiment!

Any pointers as to what it should look like or videos. I've seen a guy on you tube that holds the head of the brass n quits before it gets to hot to hold
It is best for the brass to turn/spin when using a flame so the heat is even. Very difficult to turn it consistently when held in your fingers.

I'm in the same boat as you and would love an answer backed with some reasoning. I made up a quick rig the other night to anneal 300PRC brass using a cordless drill and deep well socket, I let them hit the tray and air cool. Seems to have worked fine but I can't really back that up with quantifiable data.
Finished product looks good. My complements. But if you are annealing a big batch (upwards to 100 rds),how hot does that socket get ? Do you quench it periodically ? My question is because I wouldn't want the hot socket to transfer heat to the cartridge base softening it. Defeats the purpose. Maybe a bigger diameter socket lined with a piece of aluminum tubing.

Edit: can't get the link to work.
Bear with me.

Here's a prototype I put together a couple of years ago. For small quantities (up to 350/hour) it works fine for my purposes. I only shoot 2500-3500 rounds a year and anneal every firing. I've been meaning to construct one with an aluminum frame and cam but it's been working great as is. This one cost me about $3 for the 3/8-16 threaded rod...the rest of parts are from the scrap pails....there is even a brass toilet float rod in the mix...lol

Last edited:
Edit: can't get the link to work.
Bear with me.

Here's a prototype I put together a couple of years ago. For small quantities (up to 350/hour) it works fine for my purposes. I only shoot 2500-3500 rounds a year and anneal every firing. I've been meaning to construct one with an aluminum frame and cam but it's been working great as is. This one cost me about $3 for the 3/8-16 threaded rod...the rest of parts are from the scrap pails....there is even a brass toilet float rod in the mix...lol

Link Worked fine for me. ….. KUDOs. You could/should sell the plans.!!!

That's a real cool design. Put a cheap electric motor with a speed control and it would be more consistent. And you could change speeds for different brass. I really like your cam alot. Never seen anybody do one like yours. Nice job on that. With a motor you could sell the crap out of them. Awesome.
Shep

Annealing doesn't have to be expensive or inconsistent...I've got less than $100 in this annealer. There's a long thread on 68forums detailing how to build one, including plans and a materials list. Just search for "DIY $75 Automatic Case Annealer". Works great!

IMG_3734.JPG

A long time ago someone said the factory does not quench them in water after annealing. I turn mine with a cordless drill and socket also, and drop them in a small tin pan. REMEMBER - you are heating only the neck. I do not like Templaq. When the tip of the flame has been on the neck about 7 seconds, drop it in the pan,

Those diy annealers are pretty slick. Got me thinking now. May be able to make use of fishing rod building motor with some modifications as it turn slow. Thanks for all info

Finished product looks good. My complements. But if you are annealing a big batch (upwards to 100 rds),how hot does that socket get ? Do you quench it periodically ? My question is because I wouldn't want the hot socket to transfer heat to the cartridge base softening it. Defeats the purpose. Maybe a bigger diameter socket lined with a piece of aluminum tubing.
I did 80 pieces and the socket was warm to the touch but never got hot. The flame was never directly on the socket in my particular case. I was getting consistent color just past the shoulder in 8 Mississippi's. Tip the drill over so the case falls onto an old baking sheet, add a new piece and keep on trucking. The wife loves when I do this stuff on the dining room table 😂

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.