Annealing question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by The Oregonian, Jul 8, 2018.

1. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

Got an AMP annealer and want to make sure i understand steps and frequency.

I deprive and clean brass first....then is it size, any prep, then anneal? Or other?

And how often would you anneal, and does that differ by cartridge or brass brand? I have 3 cartridges....6.5cr with Lapua brass, 28N with Nosler Brass, and 280AI with Nosler Brass. I currently FL size bit am considering neck sizing only until brass won’t chamber.

Any input is appreciated.

Tom

2. dok7mm

dok7mm Well-Known Member

I anneal after cleaning, then FL resize. It will give you more consistent base to datum results. I do not neck size, as I see no advantage in it.

3. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

I FL resize, tumble, trim (if needed), chamfer in/out, anneal, then load.

I want consistent neck tension when seating a bullet, every time. I do not want to work harden the brass in the least before I seat bullets.

I anneal every time. Again, for consistent neck tension as the last step before I load.

It has worked well for me.

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Well-Known Member

AMP recommend deprime, clean, then anneal followed by sizing and any other case prep. They also suggest annealing every time the cases are fired.

bigbulls, wardog5 and dok7mm like this.
  5. Bang4theBuck

Bang4theBuck Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to admit it, annealing Everytime produces the best ES and SDs, and prolongs the brass life the most. While it may be difficult to detect, there is a degredation of brass consistency via work hardening with every shooting. I say I hate to admit it as I swore I would never go through that trouble every loading and I lost a bet with a guy who proved it's value to me. I'm a little hard headed that way!

wardog5 likes this.
  6. Hatrick

Hatrick Well-Known Member

I believe JE Custom did an anealing test on Hornady brass. Might get him to chime in. It opened my eyes.

7. The Oregonian

The Oregonian Well-Known Member

8. Kmccord

Kmccord Well-Known Member

If you do not have an AMP annealer how do some of you anneal? I am curious if one could anneal with just a propane torch??

9. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

I use a map gas torch and cordless drill w. deep socket.

Barrelnut and Kmccord like this.
  10. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

Research Salt Bath method. Appears it would be a better process in maintaining temp than flame method.

D.Camilleri likes this.
  11. D.Camilleri

D.Camilleri Well-Known Member

I just started using the salt bath method and once you get your salts up to temp, it is very quick and very consistent. The problem I have with a torch is that the temperature can vary greatly on this brass. Torches are fine for heavy metal that changes temperature slowly, but the difference of a half a second on light brass could vary the temperature by quite a lot. Maybe it won't matter, but consistency is what we are trying to achieve.

Rick Richard likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm using the Ballistic Recreation salt method. It's pretty slick, doesn't cost much and once it's up to temp I can do 50 cases in about 5 minutes or less.

Rick Richard likes this.
  13. d11r529

d11r529 Well-Known Member

I was/am under the impression that one should anneal before sizing so the brass is the same hardness when sizing???????? I do anneal every time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018