Annealing question

The Oregonian

Got an AMP annealer and want to make sure i understand steps and frequency.

I deprive and clean brass first....then is it size, any prep, then anneal? Or other?

And how often would you anneal, and does that differ by cartridge or brass brand? I have 3 cartridges....6.5cr with Lapua brass, 28N with Nosler Brass, and 280AI with Nosler Brass. I currently FL size bit am considering neck sizing only until brass won't chamber.

Any input is appreciated.

Tom

I anneal after cleaning, then FL resize. It will give you more consistent base to datum results. I do not neck size, as I see no advantage in it.

I FL resize, tumble, trim (if needed), chamfer in/out, anneal, then load.

I want consistent neck tension when seating a bullet, every time. I do not want to work harden the brass in the least before I seat bullets.

I anneal every time. Again, for consistent neck tension as the last step before I load.

It has worked well for me.

As much as I hate to admit it, annealing Everytime produces the best ES and SDs, and prolongs the brass life the most. While it may be difficult to detect, there is a degredation of brass consistency via work hardening with every shooting. I say I hate to admit it as I swore I would never go through that trouble every loading and I lost a bet with a guy who proved it's value to me. I'm a little hard headed that way!

Research Salt Bath method. Appears it would be a better process in maintaining temp than flame method.
I just started using the salt bath method and once you get your salts up to temp, it is very quick and very consistent. The problem I have with a torch is that the temperature can vary greatly on this brass. Torches are fine for heavy metal that changes temperature slowly, but the difference of a half a second on light brass could vary the temperature by quite a lot. Maybe it won't matter, but consistency is what we are trying to achieve.

I was/am under the impression that one should anneal before sizing so the brass is the same hardness when sizing???????? I do anneal every time.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts