annealing question

red dawg

when annealing should the brass be virgin? or should it be shot once? or does it make any difference?

My understanding is all brass is annealed from the factory. So no need to anneal virgin brass. Some manufactures polish the brass after final annealing so the brass appears to be shiny new. Others, like Hornady and Lapua, don't do a final polish after the anneal so the brass just looks different. All factory brass is annealed though. There's a Youtube showing them doing it...

when annealing should the brass be virgin? or should it be shot once? or does it make any difference?

You shouldn't ever have to anneal new brass.
I anneal after every firing so every loading is the same (and I have an annealing machine so it doesn't take long ), but in reality you only really should anneal after every 2 or 3 firings.

You shouldn't ever have to anneal new brass.
I anneal after every firing so every loading is the same (and I have an annealing machine so it doesn't take long ), but in reality you only really should anneal after every 2 or 3 firings.
I anneal every load by hand, and I'm convinced it's beneficial to both accuracy and longevity.
That's in 300WM.

bs
EVERY TIME you fire the neck changes hardness
the ONLY way for uniform tension is to anneal EVERY TIME.

[QUOTE="tbrice23, post: 1169642, member: 59502"
but in reality you only really should anneal after every 2 or 3 firings.[/QUOTE]

images.jpeg

I don't see the annealing every two to three firings as an error, I've been shooting benchrest for the last ten years and although my position on annealing has evolved some, in the real world that's about how often I anneal. What do you base this info on?
And what makes you think your method of annealing would net you results that would allow the kind of consistency to realize a positive result?

Wayne

Last edited:
I don't see the annealing every two to three firings as an error, I've been shooting benchrest for the last ten years and although my position on annealing has evolved some, in the real world that's about how often I anneal. What do you base this info on?
And what makes you think your method of annealing would net you results that would allow the kind of consistency to realize a positive result?

Wayne

You may find this article interesting:
Annealing under the microscope Part 2

If you scroll down towards the bottom you will see some tensile test charts which were conducted buy measuring the pull force of seated bullets in a verity of neck tension conditions.

Of interest here is that the set of tests which were annealed after every firing up to 11 times were very consistent and showed the same force as the samples did when they were shot and annealed on their 4th firing. Once annealing was taken out of the equation the consistency was lost as is apparent in the last chart.

600 yard national championship

Wayne

New brass is of no use for anything serious. It is in no way consistent until formed to what you will make of it (fire formed & sized). Early annealing serves to aid in consistent forming, and preventing of splits/cracks, -if forming a new cartridge.

I try to steer clear of extremes, as no extreme is free.
If I'm beginning with a new batch of Lapua, I'll fire form several times and then complete load development before annealing. Afterwards, I anneal as needed given a trend with pre-seating force measurements.
This is how I manage neck tension that's matching what I've load developed with.

I could decide up front to anneal every time, develop with that, and it might work out alright. However, I partial neck size minimum amount and prefer more bullet grip (tension) than constantly annealed necks would provide.
While I'm sure loads will always benefit from low deviation in neck tension, annealing does reduce tension, and I know that not all loads prefer this.
If I were loading for 6PPC or 30br (underbores), which prefer high starting pressures, I doubt that I would ever anneal them. If I were loading for an overbore, like 6.5-284, I might choose to anneal every time.

So you were the 600 yard national champion? What year? Light gun or heavy? What cartridge?
Inquiring minds need to know...

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.