Annealing in Nebraska?

Jasent...thats a bit far stretching.......fools abound....
The only time I annealed I did fingers....thats damned hot if you don't let go fast enough....and if you have nerve problems maybe you don't feel the heat until too late......
But another question....can annealing be done after all the prep work....and does it work better or worse be done after all prep work...i mean before putting primers in also(don't forget the fool proof)
maybe fool proof is not the correct term but I think the majority of reloaders are not fools. I can aneal 223 this way with out getting burnt. But I've done this for 10 years. With 308 size cases you would be heating too far down the case if you get burnt. Soon as it's warm at the head it's done and that has worked well for every case I've ever loaded.
Remember that if your brass dosent get work hardened before anealed again it will aneal(relieve stress) at a lower temp. If you aneal every loading you don't need to get it near as hot as if you only aneal every 3rd, 4th, or 5th loading. It adds just a couple min to your load time, you don't need to keep track of when you anealed last and every loading is the same instead of some thing different every few loadings. Jme
If you don't feel comfortable with my methods then carry on how you wish. But you don't need an expensive machine to get consistent neck tension and avoid work hardened brass. Many folks who have bought these machines and most certainly the companies that make them want to justify the costs saying you will ruin your brass or you won't get consistent brass. That's bs(bad science)
You can get consistent results with a propane torch and a few moments extra loading time. No drill needed or expensive machine, spend that $$ on components. But don't take my word for it. Research for your selves.

I always resize after anealing. Any time you heat metal of any kind it expands and as it cools it may not go back to the exact same dimensions it was before hand.
I aneal
Resize and de-prime then prime, charge and seat

Last edited:
Ah...see grasshopper learn....annealing definitely changes deminsions of brass....was just curious about bounce back..being it has been resized....i eventually will anneal all brass I have for all rifles.....thx for info.....

jpfrog, your sequence for the annealing process is exactly what AMP recommends. As for the learning curve with your new AMP machine I think you will find it very easy if my AMP was anything to go by. More like a straight line than a curve. Of course your AMP is the MkII which has the AZTEC program built in which is a real bonus. If you haven't already got something I would suggest you buy a cheap aluminium tray about 12"x 9" in size to drop the cases into after annealing them.

As for being able to hold the cases in your fingers while annealing I don't know if this can be done or not, but I do know that there is no way I can pick up a case by its base with my fingers straight out of the AMP machine. One case got stuck in the shell holder and I tried to free it with my finger, lets just say I won't try that again.

I was kind of looking for something local so I could just drop it off and pick it up. I'll keep it in mind though if nothing else turns up nearby. Thanks for the reply.
I'd also be interested in anything Eastern Nebraska local. Good to see another flat lander here. Where about in NE are you?

I would like to tag in and add South Dakota if that is ok maybe between both of us we can find someone thanks Jim
Sounds good. If I don't find anyone I'll probably just have to buy the new AMP when my bonus check comes in February.

Well I broke down and bought an AMP mark II now I'm debating if I should get the auto feeder as well. I hope they ship soon. So if anyone in the Nebraska area needs brass annealing done I will soon be able to accommodate you.

Deviant unless you have an incredibly busy lifestyle I would try the AMP without the auto feed to begin with. They are very fast with most cases taking less than five seconds each. Being the MarkII I believe it has the Aztec program built in to the price which opens up a complete new world compared to the original. It will even measure neck wall thickness from what I have read. As I mentioned to jpfrog buy yourself a cheap aluminium tray to place your hot annealed cases into while they cool.
If my experience is anything to go by you are really going to enjoy using your AMP. I'v got to the point where I will shoot rounds just so I can anneal them.:D

Deviant unless you have an incredibly busy lifestyle I would try the AMP without the auto feed to begin with. They are very fast with most cases taking less than five seconds each. Being the MarkII I believe it has the Aztec program built in to the price which opens up a complete new world compared to the original. It will even measure neck wall thickness from what I have read. As I mentioned to jpfrog buy yourself a cheap aluminium tray to place your hot annealed cases into while they cool.
If my experience is anything to go by you are really going to enjoy using your AMP. I'v got to the point where I will shoot rounds just so I can anneal them.:D
Will do thanks for the advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.