Induction annealing

Here's an update on my build. Don't judge my quality of work on this picture! It's just a hasty wiring job to test it's function.

I can anneal the neck and shoulders to where they'll just start to glow in 4.8s and that's with thick Peterson 284win brass. I think a thinner (Hornady or Winchester) case would be done in 4s or less. If you use 750F tempilaq to determine time, it would be even shorter!

For the parts in the picture, it's a total of about $130. You could remove the ammeter and save $13ish and if you use a 24V power supply you could remove the SSR (using the timer switch to relay induction board power) and save about $15ish.

With it set up and operating as I have it set, I have to stop for a couple minutes after about 10-12 cases to let the coil cool.

I plan to plumb the copper tubing coil to a small PC computer cooling pump and fan radiator to keep the coil cool. Then continuous operation is a breeze. That adds around $35 I believe.

This has been extremely fun learning about and building. Maybe at some point I'll get a solenoid hooked up to the timer and have an automatic case dropping trap door.

Now to get a box built and do the actual wiring

View attachment 299052View attachment 299053
Way to go. First step is to build and test! Well Done! Next step, well thats indidual taste on if you want to make it "prety"

Way to go. First step is to build and test! Well Done! Next step, well thats indidual taste on if you want to make it "prety"

Agreed! There's no way I'll make it as pretty as some I've seen. It will be a basic wood box from scrap I've got laying around. Just something to protect the components and place the case more easily

As far as your idea for an IR sensor for temperature, there was mention of it in the long induction annealer thread on accurateshooter forum around page 35 if you're interested in reading. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/induction-brass-annealer-redux.3908353/page-35

Agreed! There's no way I'll make it as pretty as some I've seen. It will be a basic wood box from scrap I've got laying around. Just something to protect the components and place the case more easily

As far as your idea for an IR sensor for temperature, there was mention of it in the long induction annealer thread on accurateshooter forum around page 35 if you're interested in reading. https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/induction-brass-annealer-redux.3908353/page-35
Thanks. I will take a look at it

She works!

I still need to get a face and top on it, and reroute the wires for the ammeter and timer to the top to mount them on top.

But it's functional!

I sold some powder to be able to do the cooling pump so I could go faster. After I make a guide for the case and a manual trap door, I'll be able to knock out 100 rounds in probably 10 minutes!

In all, I think I have about 150 in it. It could be less if you scrounge up a couple of items.

Gets a Peterson case glowing in 4.4 seconds 😁

IMG_20210923_213549588.jpg
IMG_20210923_213608347.jpg

She works!

I still need to get a face and top on it, and reroute the wires for the ammeter and timer to the top to mount them on top.

But it's functional!

I sold some powder to be able to do the cooling pump so I could go faster. After I make a guide for the case and a manual trap door, I'll be able to knock out 100 rounds in probably 10 minutes!

In all, I think I have about 150 in it. It could be less if you scrounge up a couple of items.

View attachment 299583View attachment 299584
That's freaking awesome, I love it

She works!

But it's functional!

Impressive!

She works!

But it's functional!

Impressive, to say the least. I concur with Bean's assessment of "freaking awesome"

It is exceptional, the talent and ingenuity we have here.