Annealing Machines. What's the "Best" one out there?

dhrider123

Official LRH Sponsor
Hi All,
I'm looking into annealing machines and have a few questions.

1) What is generally considered the "Best" annealer and why?

2) Is Induction heat better than MAPP gas or propane flames? And is there a measurable performance increase?

3) If I wanted the "Best" annealer, what features does it need to have and what features will make my life easier? Is there any machine that has all of those must have and wish list features?

I've heard a lot about the AMP (Annealing Made Perfect) machine. It sounds like a lot of reloaders really like it. I know it doesn't have a case feeder, which is a downside to me. If they ever came out with a case feeder for it, would it be the ideal machine? or is it missing other desirable features too?

Thanks for you help!
Shane

I used a BenchSource gas annealer for 4-5 years and it was okay, but a PITA when changing cartridges, because of having to rearrange torches and reset dwell time.

Last year I bought an AMP unit and I have no doubt, it's the most precise, repeatable annealer out there. I can switch cartridge pilot and dwell time in a minute, or so. One of the great advantages to the AMP, is the vast library of programs for different brands and neck thicknesses of brass + you can send a sample of your brass to Alex for a custom program.

I find it's as fast as the gas annealer, if you figure the setup time and hassling with Tempilac, involved when changing calibers. It's pricey, but in the long run, a helluva good investment, if you load for a number of different calibers.

Is there any downside to the AMP machine? The lack of an Autofeeder is a downside for me. Is there anything else with that machine that another machine does better or you wish it had?

Unless you're doing very large amounts of brass at once, and doing it often, there is no downside to the AMP.

If you're interested in repeatable and precise annealing for numerous different rifles ----- get the AMP. Alex is working on a bulk feeder for the AMP, but I don't need it.

If you have to have a bulk feeder, they are out there.

+1 on the AMP. As a simple test I just annealed 50 pieces of 300 RUM brass. From start to finish it took me just short of 7 minutes.

I have the AMP annealer. Although a bit dubious given the initial investment, I'm more than satisfied given the end results and the ease that I am able to easily and rapidly change from one caliber to another. There are even different settings for brass from different manufacturers for the same caliber. The more I use it the more I like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.