Annealing? How do YOU do it? How often?

I just finished annealing a batch of 100 .350 Rem Mag cases and wondered "How do others do this and with what method?" Growing up, dad considered annealing kind of voodoo-ish. All I remember him doing was either dipping case necks in molten lead or setting cases up in a metal cake pan, putting water in up to the level of the case shoulder, then heating the case necks until they just started to change color and tipping them over into the water. I never really messed with it much until I was necking LC Match 7.62 brass down to .260 Remington specs. Then I decided I should learn to anneal after turning the necks. I found some good advice from John Barsness that has served me well when annealing. He recommends chucking a socket extension into a drill, putting a deep well socket slightly larger than case diameter on to turn the cases at a moderate pace and do it in a dark room, like very dark, and use a propane torch. Start the case rotating, bring the flame in on the bottom side of the case neck that is sticking out from the socket and heat it until you just start to see the brass barely change color and then pull the torch back. The socket serves as a heat sink and protects the rest of the case from the heat. I know there are machines out there that do this automatically, but I can't justify the expense of such a machine for the relatively small amount of annealing I do. How often do you anneal your brass and how frequently?
Pretty simple!!! If you have an AMP set up with the cartridge and the brass is cleaned. I would do it every time. Very fast, efficient and your metal (brass) is annealed correctly each time.
No Brainer!
Or the other option just don't listen to AMP owners and shoot what you want.

However this does not apply to all Brass. I use Lapua so get a firings. Don.t expect all Brass to do the same.eeeeeeeeeeeeee

Search will help answer most of the questions. Pages of threads on annealing. Good luck and you will find what you're looking for.

AMP every firing because I have it and it's safe, easy, and fast. My groups, ES/SD's, drastically improved when I anneal (AMP), trim (Giraud), weight each load to the kernel (V4), use Lapua brass (primed by Primal Rights), Redding bushing dies, and Forster Co-Ax... thinking brass life is extending as well... Not sure which had most influence because I upgraded somewhat rapidly. I load for wife and I sometimes 300 rounds each for competition or training so faster case prep and reloading became very important. Buy once, cry once. This stuff doesn't come cheap but I don't regret giving up my first child for these items. Have to admit I've slowed down lately because of powder and primer availability/prices, but I feel I have a solid system.

I started annealing with salt bath, works great, cheap, and fast. Gave it up after catching my bench on fire from dripping molten salt. If you use extreme caution and utilize proper protective gear you'll probably be fine. I just decided it wasn't worth the risk...

Last edited:
All brass is annealed after it is made.
AMP being sold out doesn't prove anything. The only thing that matters are the targets. Glen Kulzer set 8 records at 1000 yards last year, including 20 target Aggregate. That is 100 rounds fired over the season, that went into 5.202" at 1000 yards. He doesn't anneal.

Now that's interesting!

Pretty simple!!! If you have an AMP set up with the cartridge and the brass is cleaned. I would do it every time. Very fast, efficient and your metal (brass) is annealed correctly each time.
No Brainer!
Or the other option just don't listen to AMP owners and shoot what you want.

However this does not apply to all Brass. I use Lapua so get a firings. Don.t expect all Brass to do the same.eeeeeeeeeeeeee
How much does an AMP set up cost??? I started out with the salt bath set up, then went to the AnnealEez that I use now. With a little practice I can get the AnnealEez doing a great job, and once set up I'll anneal a large batch of the same cartridge. What took some figuring out for me was to get the casings to turn properly "first"! There is an adjustable lever that is to the right of the drive wheel that has to be adjusted "in or out/left or right of the drive wheel, so the casing turns continuously, before setting the torch up. Simple process "once" you figure it out. For a 100 rounds, set up to actual annealing of a 100 cases is about a 1/2-3/4 if an hour and I don't know how many casings I've annealed (at least a 1000) and I'm still using the same propane bottle.

How much does an AMP set up cost??? I started out with the salt bath set up, then went to the AnnealEez that I use now. With a little practice I can get the AnnealEez doing a great job, and once set up I'll anneal a large batch of the same cartridge. What took some figuring out for me was to get the casings to turn properly "first"! There is an adjustable lever that is to the right of the drive wheel that has to be adjusted "in or out/left or right of the drive wheel, so the casing turns continuously, before setting the torch up. Simple process "once" you figure it out. For a 100 rounds, set up to actual annealing of a 100 cases is about a 1/2-3/4 if an hour and I don't know how many casings I've annealed (at least a 1000) and I'm still using the same propane bottle.
We had an Annealezzz and it worked well. I saw an AMP work and decided to get one.
It is very easy, accurate and fast to use.
Cost will vary.
You need the AMP Unit $1,600 (but Mil & LE Discount) and then Pilots ($19.95) for different Cases.
We bought our AMP years ago from at AMP. Got the Mil Discount, free shipping and no tax at the time.
Alex Findlay is the owner or CEO. We delt with him directly in Australia.

I built from scratch my own induction annealer for a multitude of reasons, the cost of the AMP being a big one. I think I'm about 200$ in and it works well right now for my limited round count, but I do have some upgrades I really need to make. A MK2 is on the way. Its a fun project if you're more technically inclined.

I love my little Annealeez. A few minutes of setup and I can run 100 cases in no time. The case cleaning prep takes way longer. It's like painting a room. Masking off prep takes way longer than the fun part. I'm sure the AMP is worth it if in some cases especially if you're competing and want to cover every potential item that may affect accuracy over a large number of rounds. I think after all the addons you'll be in the $1600-$2200 range for an AMP. Not crazy money if you're using it a lot. We don't blink an eye at blowing that on scopes for example, but for my needs $300ish on the Annealeez with say $1500 left over for other stuff I'm good for my needs.

And for those that don't want to anneal or don't believe in it when your cases stop giving you the accuracy results you desire because your neck tension is all out of control toss em my way if they are 6.5 PRC and I'll pay for the shipping.

Integrations annealer is available for about $230. It's incredibly simple, efficient and fully adjustable with no extra parts needed for any cartridge up to 50 BMG.

Here's someone's review.

Integrations 2.0
That looks like a great little device. I like that it's all metal. Again, a few minutes of setup and you can bang out 100 cases fast. Then you're on to sizing/seating etc.