Annealing? How do YOU do it? How often?

I use an Amp and I anneal after each firing

However, I don't do anything in bulk ahead of time anymore.
So if I plan to shoot on Friday I grab the cases, anneal, size, load, and shoot all in the same week.
I have loaded ammo from hunting season and I'll shoot that next, but mostly throughout the the year my loading is "build to order"

So I wasn't familiar with this method at all. Spent some time reading about it last night. If I already have bullet casting equipment, including thermometers/thermocouples, is there an advantage to salt bath over using molten lead that is holding temp between 750-775 F?
The advantage is that extra measures are not needed to keep salt from sticking to brass (as lead does).
I have to dip cases in Mobil1 prior to dipping in lead. I don't want oil building in the bath so I let it drain off cases over night, leaving a barely visible oil sheen on case surface -ready to dip.
After dipping, I drop the cases in a purple cleaner to remove the oil, and then tumble them.
I doubt any of that would be needed for salt bath dipping, but I would still tumble afterwards.

Other than that, with either you can set the bath temperature to 800-950degF , which works perfect to stress relieve cases.
A 5-10sec dipping for each case. In & out.
There is nothing special needed per cartridge or desired depth of annealing.
Just hold the case head and dip to the point desired.
Simple

Last edited:
Never heard of it? Quick run down of how?
It is quite effective process for annealing, but....I find it to be dangerous due to the high temps the salt has to be raised to. My son saw me annealing using the salt bath system, he bought me an AnnealEez for my birthday. The salt is at such a high temperature that if there is a mistake or accident of some kind it would be catostrophic if it got spilled onto oneself; and....in my experience stuff can happen. www.longrangehunting.com/threads/salt-bath-annealing.215195/

This was also me, so I was reading about salt bath annealing last night at 11:30 p.m. 😂. Looks interesting. I already do a fair amount of bullet casting, so I've got a spare furnace sitting around. One wonderment I had about salt bath annealing is why it would be different in any significant way than simply using molten lead at 760 F. I use a thermometer in my lead pot and thermocouples in my molds to keep temps consistent and I know I can hold 750-775 F quite steadily. If I already have that equipment, what's the point in using the salt bath method? That way I don't booger up a furnace with a bunch of foreign salt in my nice clean lead.
www.longrangehunting.com/threads/salt-bath-annealing.215195/

Need to mention brass life as well, my 6br could get around 10 loads on lapua brass before necks would split after I started annealing I'm at 40+ without a failure!! I honestly don't know how long they will last but I am amazed, I also only neck size until it gets hard to close the bolt. 4-5 reloads then a full length sizing

Since we are on the subject of annealing is there any merit to anneal virgin brass. I just received a 100 Norma brass
for a future 6mm BR build and would like a few opinions on the subject. TKS

Since we are on the subject of annealing is there any merit to anneal virgin brass. I just received a 100 Norma brass
for a future 6mm BR build and would like a few opinions on the subject. TKS
I haven't personally used Norma but I believe it is annealed from the factory, I know lapua, Adg, and Peterson are