Angled Line Pattern

Hikinghunter

Howdy. Have a bit of a mystery to solve. I just had a new barrel put on my 28 nos.

Here's the test target from fierce. Using their handloads.
IMG_1729.jpeg

Here's what I get using factory ABLR and standard off-the-website loads from Pendleton.
IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1728.jpeg

Are these nifty backslash patterns telling me something? I'll admit I don't have an anti-cant device on there, but to get that much spread at 50 yards it seems like you'd have to tilt the rifle a LOT, like it would be hard to do. Wondering if Fierce did something unique with their handloads that works with however the rifle is chambered.

Last edited:
I have never seen anything like that and I have been shooting a long time. The action screws are tight, right? What about the rail screws (or other base screws)?
Action screws torqued to spec. Tally rail is bedded and torqued to spec. Seekins rings torqued to spec as well. Just for fun I've tried clamping the rifle down and wiggling the scope. No movement. I've taken everything apart and re-assembled a few times. Same results.

I've heard improper neck tensioning can give you a string pattern. I'm shooting factory ammo, though.

High left on the 162's and Low Right on the 175 LR bullets? Central point of aim

That seems like a huge difference at such a short range.

But I think both bullets you tested are longer than the bullets tested with the good group?
Maybe the twist rate is not good for the long bullets.

Your definitely on the right track being concerned about it!
I've never had results like that I can think of

Like th other guy said, sounds like the barrel is heating up and moving

High left on the 162's and Low Right on the 175 LR bullets? Central point of aim

That seems like a huge difference at such a short range.

But I think both bullets you tested are longer than the bullets tested with the good group?
Maybe the twist rate is not good for the long bullets.

Your definitely on the right track being concerned about it!
I've never had results like that I can think of

Like th other guy said, sounds like the barrel is heating up and moving
Those groups were shot with different scopes and bases, just to rule out optics issues. Hence the patterns on opposite sides.

A 1:8.5 twist should stabilize 175's and 162's. At least according to bergers website, if that's worth anything.

I don't like the heating up and walking idea. Just don't like it 😁 I wait 3-4 minutes between rounds, and it's about 40 degrees out. It definitely never gets hot to the touch.

With that said, there's a price to pay for a 6 pound 28nos. Truck axles don't have these issues.

One way to find out. I'll try another group, but wait 15 min between shots with a barrel cooler running air down the tube.

Jeez I never wait for my groups from my sporter weight barrel. I shoot the 4 or 5 I have in it with enough time in between shots to make them count. Maybe 10 seconds to 30 seconds. A minute tops. Just me shuffling around getting comfortable after I view my hit through my scope.

Sounds like a suspect barrel man

Take my input with a grain of salt, I'm no pro, just a simple hunter

Jeez I never wait for my groups from my sporter weight barrel. I shoot the 4 or 5 I have in it with enough time in between shots to make them count. Maybe 10 seconds to 30 seconds. A minute tops. Just me shuffling around getting comfortable after I view my hit through my scope.

Sounds like a suspect barrel man

Take my input with a grain of salt, I'm no pro, just a simple hunter
What caliber? I've found there's a world of difference in these new rounds that push the limits. You can shoot a 300 win mag every minute all day long. Try that with a 300prc and your barrel will be glowing red.

284win
150gr@2800
Nosler Partition

Or a 30-06 was my previous shooter
I was shooting it at 308 velocities though 165's
Speer BTSP

I do recall only a handful of times my barrels getting too hot to handle

I don't know how hot is the safe limit on a barrel anyways
Should you run it cool enough to always be able to touch it?
For extended life that is

No kidding

Those hot cals burn a lot of powder

I've shot the PRC in a big heavy Bergara "Pro" of some sort. Pretty cool gun but I don't like the rem 700 platform and the overall package is wayyyy too big for my size body.

Ill shoot it some more tho next time I'm offered 😊