Angled Shot Ballistics

1SevenZero

Need you smart folks to answer this one. So you understand what I'm asking I'll give a scenario.

Hunter is taking a shot at a mule deer with an up hill, or down hill angle. The true distance to the deer is 500 yards. Taking the angle into consideration the hunter holds/adjusts for a 350 yard shot (this number is made up, so don't raz me). Hunter shoots and hits the deer.

On impact will the bullet perform as it would at 500 yards, or as it would at 350 yards?

It will perform as a 500 yards shot. Think of it this way, actual line of sight. Flight time is dictated by the line of sight, not by the affects of gravity.

You are pretty close in your estimate on figuring the distance on the angle shot which is about -125 yards of the measured distance and if you have the dope to your rifle on you then it is even easier just remember to have a decent rest and squeeze!

You are pretty close in your estimate on figuring the distance on the angle shot which is about -125 yards of the measured distance and if you have the dope to your rifle on you then it is even easier just remember to have a decent rest and squeeze!

How did you calculate the "- 125 yards" without knowing the angle?

It will perform as a 500 yards shot. Think of it this way, actual line of sight. Flight time is dictated by the line of sight, not by the affects of gravity.

That's what I was guessing, but wanted someone else to reinforce it.

Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.