An easy and tasty mule deer roast

codyadams

One of my favorites because it's so tasty and so easy, and feeds the whole family!!

I usually use one of the hind quarter roasts for this. Thaw and season, if you have it in your area, I prefer Spade L Ranch beef seasoning and marinade along with ground salt and pepper. If you haven't seen if, maybe try ordering some from Amazon, at least to try, it's very good. If I can, I let it set in the fridge with the seasoning for at least a few hours, but it can go strait to the heat if you don't have the time.

Preheat the over to 225°f, put some olive oil in a cast iron skillet and get it very hot, and put in your seasoned roast. I do about 2-3 minutes each side, enough to get a nice crust on the outside, then pop in a heat thermometer if you have one, and toss it strait in the oven. A deer roast like this one takes about 25-30 minutes for rare to medium rare. With a meat thermometer, I prefer to take if out around 115°, and let it rest to finish cooking.

After it rests, cut it up and here we are!!
20191205_184828.jpg
20191205_185811.jpg

Pairs very nicely with some greens and a homemade diablo rojo, especially in a custom made glass!!

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
Trust me, I'm right there with ya! So is my wife actually, we both order our steaks blue rare when we go out to nice steakhouses, it's the 5 and 6 year old that force us to go rare/medium rare!! Ha ha

LOL! Things you do for your kids. :cool: In my case, it's actually the wife that wants hers well done (YIKES, and it drives me nuts, luckily she does not eat much meat). My sons (now 28 and 31) prefer them like I do, rare as they come.

LOL! Things you do for your kids. :cool: In my case, it's actually the wife that wants hers well done (YIKES, and it drives me nuts, luckily she does not eat much meat). My sons (now 28 and 31) prefer them like I do, rare as they come.
Right ha ha!! Ya when my wife and I were only dating and getting to know eachother, I remember the first time I made a steak dinner for us, it was somewhat of a test for our relationship. I asked how she wanted her T bone steak cooked, almost afraid of what her answer would be (I HATE ruining a good cut) until she said "can you make the center just above room temperature?"

I knew, at that moment, she was marriage material. Ha ha

One other thing, you can spend a 100 dollar bill at any restaurant you want and not get a meal like that. If I go to a restaurant, I get seafood.... the steaks just don't compare to what i make at home.
You can make a stinky old muley buck taste better than anything you can buy.
Too bad antelope aren't the size of elk, i wouldn't eat anything else!!!

Right ha ha!! Ya when my wife and I were only dating and getting to know eachother, I remember the first time I made a steak dinner for us, it was somewhat of a test for our relationship. I asked how she wanted her T bone steak cooked, almost afraid of what her answer would be (I HATE ruining a good cut) until she said "can you make the center just above room temperature?"

I knew, at that moment, she was marriage material. Ha ha

Believe me, I cook hers (searing the sides, it takes longer but it works) just enough so she could trim well-done off the sides. Whatever she does not eat, it's mine.

I'm a medium, medium-well Guy! As I get older, the less I like it cooked. I am sure you have, but if you haven't, try a Tri-tip. It is an amazing piece of meat!

morning, truly full stomach lovers, 2 changes 1 baked potatoe,
2 grilled corn on the cob, basted the garlic butter, salt and pepper.
yummy, yummy, yummy. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts