Javelina Roast

LVJ76

Many hunters leave the javelinas they hunt in the field, they don't use the meat at all.

Javelina is known for being a tough meat for the exception of the loins and back straps. The rest of it can be pretty tough so to make tender I made it like a roast on a crock pot like I do with venison.

I ended up using just one quarter, the last one I got was a nicely sized pig and that's all I could fit in the pot. I deboned the leg and removed as much silver skin as possible.

I added potatoes, carrots, celery sticks, one onion, 6 cloves of garlic, oregano and other seasonings, beef bouillon, one beer and topped it with water. I cooked it overnight on high and it came out tender and delicious.

I've always used the javelina quarters for chorizo and also made burgers grinding it with bacon a they taste great, but now I'll think twice before I grind it for burgers.

morning, the little rodents r very tasty. soak in ice water
over night, the meat turns white. I debone the whole
rodent. a person can take a hind quarter and
bbq slowly. lots of onions, bell pepper, celery.
salt, pepper, rageno, small amount of chili
powder. season to taste. flour tortilla's, butter
and hot grill. peppers to taste. very tasty.
justme gbot tum

morning, the little rodents r very tasty. soak in ice water
over night, the meat turns white. I debone the whole
rodent. a person can take a hind quarter and
bbq slowly. lots of onions, bell pepper, celery.
salt, pepper, rageno, small amount of chili
powder. season to taste. flour tortilla's, butter
and hot grill. peppers to taste. very tasty.
justme gbot tum

This is pretty much the way I fix them. By the way, they are not rodents.

Try using a flavored brine instead of just ice water. I put a small pig (javalina or feral) whole into an ice chest full of brine and ice for 24 hours then slow smoke them over hickory or mesquite....incredible!
brine - ice & water, a little apple cider vinegar, sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes, season salt, anything else you like

Happy Hunting & Eating!
IMG_2773.JPG

It sounds like the packing the quarters in ice is the way to go for these and hogs.

Are the javelina like hogs in the sense that some hunters say, some hogs just stink and taste bad?

It sounds like the packing the quarters in ice is the way to go for these and hogs.

Are the javelina like hogs in the sense that some hunters say, some hogs just stink and taste bad?

Yes, they can stink, the males have a gland in the lower back above the hind quarters that needs to be removed right after you kill it, you'll feel it like a bump or lump attached to the skin, you cut around it and take it all off with the skin. If you leave it the meat will get all stinky.

The meat is really good, it doesn't taste as gamey like venison. It's also lean so if you like making burgers, sausage or chorizo youll need to add some fat, bacon works really good for burgers, but if you want to taste more of the actual flavor of the meat just add some beef fat. I've found that beef fat doesn't alter the flavor as much as pork fat or bacon, but bacon is always good, who doesn't love bacon, Lol

They do have a distinctive smell but if you have hunted deer during the rut, they het stinky too.

Always use two knives for cleaning pigs or peccary (not rodent). Skin with one, butcher with another. Or clean the skinning blade with bleach water before butchering. If you get any of that stink on the skinning blade and cut meat with it, you'll be sorry.

LVJ76 is 100% correct about the "stink" gland...be careful when cutting it out

Always use two knives for cleaning pigs or peccary (not rodent). Skin with one, butcher with another. Or clean the skinning blade with bleach water before butchering. If you get any of that stink on the skinning blade and cut meat with it, you'll be sorry.

LVJ76 is 100% correct about the "stink" gland...be careful when cutting it out

We use 2 knives like levers4life does. We do not remove the "stink" gland, it peels off with the skin. We found out there was more risk of contaminating the meat cutting out the gland than peeling it out with the skin. We were taught this by an old south Texan outfitter that had been outfitting javelina hunts for many years.

One thing I will say. We sure don't have as many of these native animals running my neck of the woods as we did when I was a kid. The ferals are pushing them out of a lot of places. If you hunt them, please show them the respect of not wasting them. If you don't want the meat there are a lot of local charities that would love to have it. If you haven't tried it....please do! Happy Hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts