Javelina Roast

One thing I will say. We sure don't have as many of these native animals running my neck of the woods as we did when I was a kid. The ferals are pushing them out of a lot of places. If you hunt them, please show them the respect of not wasting them. If you don't want the meat there are a lot of local charities that would love to have it. If you haven't tried it....please do! Happy Hunting!

I absolutely love hunting them. I've been hunting them the last 20 years and have only used my longbow.

We use 2 knives like levers4life does. We do not remove the "stink" gland, it peels off with the skin. We found out there was more risk of contaminating the meat cutting out the gland than peeling it out with the skin. We were taught this by an old south Texan outfitter that had been outfitting javelina hunts for many years.

If you are going to field dress it it is better to leave the gland on the skin and not mess with it. In most cases we carry it out and hang them for a couple of days with the skin on, in these cases we remove it. Where we hunt them we are usually pretty close to a road, if we aren't then we field dress it.

If you are going to field dress it it is better to leave the gland on the skin and not mess with it. In most cases we carry it out and hang them for a couple of days with the skin on, in these cases we remove it. Where we hunt them we are usually pretty close to a road, if we aren't then we field dress it.

We normally get ours skinned pretty quickly. If I was going to hang them a day or 2 with the skin on, I would definitely remove the gland.

We normally get ours skinned pretty quickly. If I was going to hang them a day or 2 with the skin on, I would definitely remove the gland.

My brother and I were talling about just field dressing them the other day, it will make them lighter and easier to carry out. I've been wanting to do European style skull on one of them but I haven't been able to get a complete skull without some damage from the shot. It would look really nice on the wall.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.