American factory 338 Lapua

I heard the same thing when I put the 378 Weatherby and 460 Weatherby cases in my Target actions. Couldn't be done safely!

Hundreds of rounds later without any problems.

The Lapua body diameter is only .006 larger than the Weatherby cases. Remember though that we are using a large shank action1.120 and using 1.250 diameter barrels with class three thread extended nuts with an O.D. of 1.340.

I am reasonably sure that Savage would not do anything they felt was cause for liability.

Neal

I would feel perfectly comfortable shooting it knowing it is proof tested at 150 KPSI.
I just remember reading posts that were very strongly warning against chambering a 338 LM in a savage action and wondered if that was an accurate link on facebook.

The only thing that bugs me is the bolt lugs giving out, as far as the action as a whole I would feel safer with a Savage than a Rem.
I read on SavageShooter that Fred at SSS got some lug set back when chambered in the 338LM but I don't remember what action was used.
One of our local smiths does a lot with the 338 LM and he will not build on a Rem 700 as he had two friend blow the bolts out of theres and cause some injuries so I'm really wanting to be careful when going in the 338LM direction.

I don't play up there with the .338's, but the .338 RUM and the Lapua .338 Magnum run very close to the same pressures with the same bullets, around 5% difference if I remember correctly, with only 3 or 4 grains of powder seperating them.

Shawn Carlocks .338 Edge is almost identical when it comes to actual loads, and from what I have seen, lots of them have been built on Remington actions.

Yes, the LM case has a very slightly larger diameter, but I suspect that there is more than enough reserve strength in the bolts and chambers for the LM.

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.