factory actions for .338 lapua

benbo

Been hearing the Remington action is not ideal for the the. 338 lapua. I will be dropping the cash for my new gun soon and would like some input before I commit. That being said I love rem 700 actions, will I be safe?

I know it might not be what you want to hear... but for the money you are going to spend on getting just a rem lapua action.. I would go custom.. I just got a Defiance for my new build on a lapua case.. and its one of the nicest actions I've ever played with.. plus the order time was only about a month and a half..

count on it being $1100 and get the action that you want, exactly. thats what customs are about. Ive seen a few defiance actions and they are *nice*:D.

stiller is about $1100... BAT and Defiance are about $13/1400... surgeon is close to $1800 :rolleyes: ... BAT ,DEF, stiller for me..

plus is you ever go to sell it.. the resale value will be much better and more sought after with a custom action...

Look at poll at bottom of this page.338 LAPUA action.Good info,you can get a great rifle for that that is real close to custom.I plan on getting a Sako TRG when I get enough fun tickets.The Weatherby Accumark TRR is a look alike with similar features.I have a mark V, and a Defiance,and have shot the Sako, the 2 factory are nice for the money

With the edge I would have to fire form brass right? I am lost in the sauce with that, I think the lapua would be less of a headache for me

No fire forming.. one run of the die through the case and your good to go.. (just necking up from 30 to 338) but you must roll your own if you go with the edge.. i suggest rolling your own either way.. the brass is better with the lapua.. I have both.. if i did it all over again.. I would just went straight lapua.. maybe improve.. maybe...

Been hearing the Remington action is not ideal for the the. 338 lapua. I will be dropping the cash for my new gun soon and would like some input before I commit. That being said I love rem 700 actions, will I be safe?

See Lilja's comments (article) on the "safety" issue at Lilja Precision Rifle Barrels - Articles: 378 Weatherby Cases in the Remington 700 Action? While he is addressing the 378 Weatherby, the bolt face is the same and the 338-378 Weatherby is at a similar power level to the 338 LM.

If you want to know who is building actions for 338 LM, see the Receiver matrix at Products - Rifle Components

Me, I'd go with a .750" (or larger) bolt.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.