ALMOST THERE Rings and Base confirmation

Joe Hendrix

Hey everyone, as the post says, I am almost there with my rifle build. I started out with a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP in 7mmRM. Stripped off the scope, barrel, and stock and began my build from there. I purchased a Vortex Viper HD 6-24x50, a 26" Criterion barrel (1 in 9/ Light Varmint), a Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole, procured all DBM, bottom metal and trigger guard. I have also accumulated almost everything I need to hand load for this new obsession. I am waiting on my barrel (should be delivered in about 3 weeks with all of the tools, recoil lug, trigger spring, etc from Jim at Northland).

I am now making my final decisions on the base and rings. I really like the EGW HD base (product ID 80332) and Burris Extreme Tactical Rings (low) as seen on a few other posts from 2008/2009 but am kinda freaked out ordering these things without having the barrel mounted to see if the scope will clear with my caps. I am also curious about my cheek weld and eye alignment. Adding a cheek pad to the Boyds stock might be challenging so I want to keep it as low as possible.

Has anyone set up a similar firearm with similar parts who could help with this equation? I would really like to avoid returning rings and making my wait even longer. I am really excited and would love to have all of the parts I need on hand when the barrel arrives so I can spend a few days putting it all together.

Any help would be super appreciated. AND a huge thank you to all of you who have helped me with my build so far AND bought some of my take off parts.

Semper Fi

Hey everyone, as the post says, I am almost there with my rifle build. I started out with a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP in 7mmRM. Stripped off the scope, barrel, and stock and began my build from there. I purchased a Vortex Viper HD 6-24x50, a 26" Criterion barrel (1 in 9/ Light Varmint), a Boyds Featherweight Thumbhole, procured all DBM, bottom metal and trigger guard. I have also accumulated almost everything I need to hand load for this new obsession. I am waiting on my barrel (should be delivered in about 3 weeks with all of the tools, recoil lug, trigger spring, etc from Jim at Northland).

I am now making my final decisions on the base and rings. I really like the EGW HD base (product ID 80332) and Burris Extreme Tactical Rings (low) as seen on a few other posts from 2008/2009 but am kinda freaked out ordering these things without having the barrel mounted to see if the scope will clear with my caps. I am also curious about my cheek weld and eye alignment. Adding a cheek pad to the Boyds stock might be challenging so I want to keep it as low as possible.

Has anyone set up a similar firearm with similar parts who could help with this equation? I would really like to avoid returning rings and making my wait even longer. I am really excited and would love to have all of the parts I need on hand when the barrel arrives so I can spend a few days putting it all together.

Any help would be super appreciated. AND a huge thank you to all of you who have helped me with my build so far AND bought some of my take off parts.

Semper Fi
I have the EGW HD rail on several of my rigs paired with TPS rings.

That combo has worked very well for me.

If you need to add a little comb height the least expensive and most practical way I know of to get there is to use a stock pack. If you need more height above that you can always add some foam padding between the pack and the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts