Almost forgot the .25 guys

So when you say varmint you mean ground squirrels? How far to shoot? Bullet to come unglued on contact? Fill me in on your needs. So far we have designed for big game.

Steve

Pretty much song dogs on down to squeaks. And 500 and under. Anything farther I'd use my Hunting bullets

So speed also plays a factor in stability right? I have a .257 Roy currently running 115 gr noslers to almost 3500. Still no pressure so I may go faster yet. 28" tube. So with the extra speed would I be able to stabilize the 103 at sea level? And how far could I shoot to min velocity. I'd really like to try them. At 103gr I should be able to drive them real fast and fast is fun.

So speed also plays a factor in stability right? I have a .257 Roy currently running 115 gr noslers to almost 3500. Still no pressure so I may go faster yet. 28" tube. So with the extra speed would I be able to stabilize the 103 at sea level? And how far could I shoot to min velocity. I'd really like to try them. At 103gr I should be able to drive them real fast and fast is fun.

I ran calcs and a 10" twist with the 103's at sea level would have an sg of 1.23. Just stable enough to fly accurately. At sea level I don't think it would be enough to hunt with and not have that bullet tumble in impact. Also you would be sacrificing 8% of the bc. I ran those numbers at 3700fps. I am not familiar with the Roy but thinking this would be a top end velocity.

What is your altitude?

Steve

I live at only 300 feet so basically sea level. I do hunt higher but I was thinking if it worked I could us it for deer around here. I do some crop damage shooting over some fields that can go out to about 800 yards

I live at only 300 feet so basically sea level. I do hunt higher but I was thinking if it worked I could us it for deer around here. I do some crop damage shooting over some fields that can go out to about 800 yards

The 92g Hammer Hunter would scream for you. Remember that it is a high weight retention bullet. We designed it to be a deer killer.

Steve

Steve,
wondering if you have some recovered bullet pics. would be fun to see. they look really neat!
SnT

Steve,
wondering if you have some recovered bullet pics. would be fun to see. they look really neat!
SnT

We need to take some pics of bullets that we have caught. Last season we shot 25 big game animals and recovered one bullet. I have to get some pics of that one. It was a 181g .308 that I shot a cow elk at 400y nearly facing me. It went in the base of her neck and was recovered in the hide just in front of her hind quarter. She took about 5 steps down the hill then stood there until she rolled down the hill. Everything else passed through.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.