For the factory ammo guys.

25 Otter

Hey folks. I have been wondering. What kind of accuracy have those of you shooting factory fodder been getting? Brand, bullet, caliber. That sort of thing. Here is the deal. I have a T3 7 Rem Mag here that I have been wanting to try some over the counter rounds in. One of the big arguments for using a 30/06,270,7 RM or 300 Win Mag,is always "the availability of ammo just about anywhere and everywhere". Good logic. I don't want to spend a grand on assorted premium factory fodder to try without first throwing this out to you fellas. Lets assume price is no object. If I'm in outer Chabeeshe and the only ammo to be had is $50.00 a box premium stuff so be it. So then. Who is getting what kind of accuracy from what kind of ammo? No varmint calibers please. Lets keep it big game friendly. 7 RM would be great! :cool:gun). Thanks :).

I shot HSM 168gr and 210gr vld's in my 300rum and both shot 3/4" groups.
That's who I'd try for factory large caliber. I've also seen hornady .308 ammo shoot good, if they have the Amax for 7RM in factory ammo it'd be worth a try.

I gotta say I never thought about HSM. You get used to seeing the same 4 or 5 ammo manufacturers in all the ads and forget there are others. Sounds like good stuff too. Thanks for posting OneShot and a Happy New Year to you 25 Otter.

When I had a 7mm RM, that gun liked Winchester Supreme and Federal Premium loads. It put 140 gr Winchester Supreme Failsafe's into about 3/4" group at 100 yards. For the Federal Premiums, it liked the 150 BT's. These would group just under 3/4" group at 100 yards.

My one 7mm STW likes Federal Premium 150gr Trophy Bonded. To bad they don't make this load anymore.

Some others to try would also be Nosler Trophy Grade and Barnes. I have some of both for my 30-06, but have not tried them yet. Both are made with premium products.

I have a new savage I bought this year in 7 rm and I have good groups with Hornady superformance 154 gr sst. Or I would try Winchester supremes. I guess ill have to order some HSM rounds because I would really like to see how they perform.

Thanks for the feed back fellas. I had a box of 7RM Federal tipped Trophy Bonds in my hand today and nearly bought them to try. It was at a Dicks store though and I know they are more money than anyone else. I'd hate to find out they shoot better than my handloads :D.

My Sendero did well with Winchester 140gr Combined Technology loads as well as the HSM Berger loads.

However, you have to realize that what works for my rifle probably won't work for yours. If you are lucky you have a friend with a 7mm Rem who will sell you a few from different boxes that you can try and see what works. I've done this to friends with a 270 and 30-06 by letting them buy ammo from me to test in their rifles. And, in every case, what mine shot well didn't work well for them - even in the same brand if rifle.

The only way to know is to try it in your rifle. Expensive, but true.

I have a Sendero in .300 Win Mag. I have shot Barnes TSX, Nosler Accubond, Hornady Superperformance Interbond, all 180 Gr...and the winner is... Remington Core Lokt....huh???:cool:

I had bought the stuff just to break in my barrel, but it has consistently out shot everything else, even out to 700 yards. Go figure??? My gun is a cheap date. haha. Plus it is something you can find at any sporting good store (especially in 180 gr.). I will consistently get .5 MOA groups out of it. Does the trick for my level of expertise (which isnt saying much. haha)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.