All around cal.

Bullet placement is the key,practice,practice to learn your rifle.

There, in my opinion, is the best and final answer to this subject. Whatever you shoot, shoot it ALOT. Get really good with it. Learn it's limitations. Learn to read the wind. And most of all- have the patience to pass up the 'ify' shots.... After all- it IS supposed to be 'hunting', NOT just 'shooting'.

It's not so much what ya hit em with but where ya hit em. I shoot a 6.5 rem mag in a 1in8 twist that shoots the 140s real good, it works for me.

I have killed the majority of the elk I have killed with a .270 Winchester shooting 130 grain bullets. That being said I have also killed one with a .338 Winchester (35 yard shot :)) and my .300 RUM. I never lost a single elk (a couple dozen)with the .270 with the majority of my shots in the 300 to 350 yard range due to where I hunt.

That being said I think a .30+ caliber round gives a better margin for error on elk and moose. My son shoots a .300 Winchester magnum for everything from antelope to moose and I have been very impressed with the performance. Coming to think of it I even killed one of my elk with his rifle and it did very well. My two cents for what it's worth.

lot of hunters buy one then switch two or three or four times which is expensive but funbut it's up to you...

Last edited:
I think i'm going a little nuts in my old age, going to lok at two ruger no.1s one in 338 win the other 300 win. What do you think. Rich

My rifle of choice for everything is a 300 wm with 165 grain nossler accubonds. Work very well on deer and elk. Going to try it out on pronghorn this fall. If I was to go after bear I may go to a 180 grain.

I think i'm going a little nuts in my old age, going to lok at two ruger no.1s one in 338 win the other 300 win. What do you think. Rich

For what you are looking for, based on your initial post (deer and elk), I would say go with the 300 out of those two. I don't think you need the 338 for elk, unless you are looking to take them down WAY out there...and a 338 would destroy a deer-sized animal. Just my two cents!

It's not so much what ya hit em with but where ya hit em. I shoot a 6.5 rem mag in a 1in8 twist that shoots the 140s real good, it works for me.

I shoot the same exact cartridge with a 1 in 8 twist barrel and 140 Berger VLD's. Push them around 3150 fps and have killed 13 animals to date with that rifle. From 80 yards to 655 yards. It is one mean killing machine :)

most outtfitters cringe when they hear 7mag(I know I am an Elk hunting guide)I say 30-06 limit your shots on Elk to 250 yards other wise they tend to get away.

Elk Guide... really?
I guided a few elk hunters, over 30 years time. Even outfitted a little, 9 years. The 7 mag is my favorite round of all; capable of really long range elk sniping, if you can shoot, and it won't kick yer pants off.
And don't tell the elk we shot with the old '06 at over 250 yards, some as far as 500 or so, that they should have just run off instead. I just hate it when elk go all zombie and rise from the dead all stinky and falling to pieces.

Well i did it i came home with some thing i did'nt meed Ruger no. in a 338 win. Price was right and that dammed thing kept on saying take me, take me. Rich

Elk Guide... really?
I guided a few elk hunters, over 30 years time. Even outfitted a little, 9 years. The 7 mag is my favorite round of all; capable of really long range elk sniping, if you can shoot, and it won't kick yer pants off.
And don't tell the elk we shot with the old '06 at over 250 yards, some as far as 500 or so, that they should have just run off instead. I just hate it when elk go all zombie and rise from the dead all stinky and falling to pieces.

I would always prefer the hunters that shot an 06 or 280 any day because they hardly ever miss what they shoot at! Not to mention that a lot of elk meat has been put in the freezer at ranges well past 250

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.